GreaseSpot Cafe

aa

cman

Chas, Thank God for people like you. I just wish there were more!

My daughter wasn't a bartender, but when she was 16, she served drinks at our zoo one summer. Soda and beer. I forget what she couldn't do, maybe pour, or press the register key, whatever, but as long as she didn't do that, it was legal. That same summer most of the underage employees there were fired because they were caught stealing and drinking the beer. I'm happy to say my daughter wasn't one of them. Its hard enough for adults to be responsible around alcohol. I think we ask way too much when we allow our children to be around it.

Cman you said:

Just for me I won't drink anymore and still haven't.

I say: :eusa_clap: Love and peace to you.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread absolutely mystifies me! The lack of compassion is really quiet beyond me. I haven't posted in a while but this thread stirred some thoughts.

So instead of talking about alcoholism I will just try and draw some parallels and hope they make sense to Cman, Dmilller and a few others.

I had a disease. Not alchoholism, avascular necrosis. That means the bones in my hips died. For 15 years I was in pain 24/7 and I mean 24/7. I couldn't sleep. I was so nauseous from the pain I couldnt eat right. And as a single parent my kids had to get my slacks and socks on every morning - which they did with never a complaint - even though I knew it was a burden for them.

When I got scheduled for hip replacement - both within 5 days which is rare - I got nothing but support from the folks at GSC. People I have never met except here prayed for me. AND... congratulated me on the success. No one told me the pain was all in my mind. No one told me I was not diseased. No one shot down a hospital as an organization that helps...AND OH YES... they have a post of therapy program that had LOTS of steps - more than twelve.

And yes I think it was an accomplishment and achievement to just get out of bed during those first days and walk over to take a leak. AND when I posted that I could get my jeans on I was congratulated for an ACCOMPLISHMENT...AND when I posted that I got my socks on myself for the first time in many years I was again congratulated for an ACCOMPLISMENT.

Everyone was supportive here...period.

So this lack of support and compassion in this thread I find disturbing. It is the public myths about drug dependancy whether it be alcohol or some other that I find disturbing. "I don't have this problem so you don't either." Kinda of thinking which I abhor. No one did that to me on GSC so WHY in this thread?

Cman, Dmiller and others - I ABSOF(CKLINGLUTELY congratulate you on your ACCOMPLISTMENT AND ACHIEVMENT. I understand the dread of having to get out of bed and stand up, go take a shower, push the clutch in at every light. You understand those same dreads in a different way - but it is similar - having to face another day. And oh yes - it is still one day at a time for me and will be for another 9 months or so...so I understand that too. And again I congratulate you all.

I apologize if this thread sounded like it was about me. It was meant to be about the great achievements of those who have posted about being in recovery - and being honest - and trying to draw some parallels in my healing process

But most of all it was about being disturbed at the lack of compassion on this thread while seeing so much compassion in other threads.

Flame away...my hips are titanium and space shuttle ceramic - you ain't got flames hot enough for that.

Oh and an edited PS - I found it ironic that once I posted that this thread came up right next to GSC - people helping people.

Edited by RumRunner

Hey RumRunner -- has anyone given you a compliment lately???

(Even if you do promote that global warming theory thingy ---- )

Yer top notch (in my book). :) :)

Physical pain versus mental assault/ pain-and-suffering. Dunno. Hard to say which is more complex.

Suffice it to say, folks are working their way through both (these days).

I have more admiration for you and your *trials*, than I do for myself and mine.

But -- thanks for the recognition. It means a lot.

In my mind it boils down to God's grace, and whatever you want to do with it.

Freedom of will, determination to do that which is right versus wrong,

ignoring temptations -- tough stuff in the mind.

But you had no choice, since it was all about the physical.

Thanks for comiserating -- but I still think you had the harder battle.,

even though both of them are tough.

Edited by dmiller

Thanks for the comment RumRunner, and glad you are doing better also.

One day at a time works in many situations if we are applying some sort of solution.

Compassion is nice to have but will not hinder if it's not there.

And it is from most who posted.

Having the compassion and drive in yourself,

and bringing it to the surface in the form of action is power.

Wether to help yourself or another.

I've found about myself that I'm a focuser.

When I have something to do I really focus in on it.

This is a flaw and a good thing.

Kind of tricky.

Twi didn't help, I focused on it for twenty years.

It's focus was on itself.

Then I focused, zeroed in on blowing up what they had taught me.

Which took about 3 years.

Though I still must maintain a course to keep their junk out of my head.

Then after that three years I found I didn't have much to focus on that intensly.

So I got idle and drank too much which turned into a problem.

And I'm not blaming twi.

But my own character makeup.

So instead of focusing so much, I must take in the bigger picture also.

Which is changing me.

So I am focusing on me to get better by doing those steps.

But I also will not miss out on the bigger picture this time.

I have been following this thread since I first saw it. I have no real experience or words of wisdom - so I just said my "Good Work! - Congratulations!" in my head and moved on.

I do remember some things about my husband kicking smoking - it was hard - HARD - and he had to try many times. He had to do many things to avoid the "want" for a cigarette. The parallels aren't really the same - but I can relate as one that lived with a person kicking nicotine addiction. (NOT high up on the list of "bad" addictions - unless the person in question had cancerous tumors in his lungs as hubby did in his early twenties.)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it can be so easy to say something negative when a post stirs you - but when a positive thought comes to mind - I still find myself saying, "Looks like there's plenty of support here - they don't need my two cents since I have little else to offer."

Perhaps this is the kind of thinking that keeps us all more distant .

ANYWAY - this isn't about me. I have no wise thoughts here.

CMAN, DMILLER, ET AL - CONGRATULATIONS! MY PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU!

How so Seth?

At first I wasn't quite sure where to put this.

But I think 'Open' is the place for it.

I've learned more in the short time I've been doing these steps,

then my entire time in twi.

Currently working on these-

Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.

Admitted to God, to ourselves and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.

Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.

Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.

Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.

Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.

Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.

Which takes a certain amount of emotional detachment to really take a look at yourself and the past and the present. It also leads to the last steps cause this is what you are really doing. Prayer and meditation. I think I might start a thread on that in Doctrinal.

Admitted to God, to ourselves and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.

Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.

Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.

Isn't this simply repentance? The exact nature of your wrongs would be specific areas of sin. Then seeking forgiveness from God and others.

Jerry

Forgiveness from others is not required.

I just have to do what I have to do.

I can't control what someone else thinks.

It all still boils down to being honest and thorough.

Not a half-hearted attempt, but really doing it from the heart.