GreaseSpot Cafe

Did you name your twig in the Corps?

J0nny Ling0

I just learned over on the CES IS IN A MESS thread that a sixthffff Corps guy (Alfakat) spoke of how in the Corps, they had named their Twig after a fictitious devil spirit named: SWATRATTRA!! And I and my wife cracked up over that. And then I remembered how we named our twigs in the Tenth Corps, and it was fun. Our twig was named "The Secret Things". I remember that we had a guy who was shy and quiet, and when it came time to name our twig, various people had suggestions, and sheepishly yet with a smile, our Quiet Brother said; "How bout; "The Secret Things"? And of course we all asked what he meant, and Gerard said with a smile and quoted; "The secret things belong to the Lord our God...." And we all smiled and said ; "Yeah, nice! Sounds good!"

And later, when Corps Coordinator Richard Thomas anounced that the twig named The Secret Things was to meet in the Sonlight Room, he went on to ask about just what in the heck was behind naming a twig "The Secret Things"? I answered by quoting the verse and then saying; "Well, we belong to God, and, The Secret Things belong to the Lord our God!" And everyone laughed, and Richard just shook his head in the way that he usually did when he thought we were whacky....

Another twig called themselves "The Coccoon Chuckers", indicating that they were no longer worms, but had chucked their coccoons to become butterflies, as in being transformed (metamorpho) by the renewing of their minds. And, I really liked that one. It was my favorite for sure. I think that was Dick Michaud and George Cumella's bunch.

And so, did any of you all in the Corps besides The Secret Things, The Coccoon Chuckers and "Swattrattra" have Twig names?

Edited by Jonny Lingo

I don't remember naming our twigs, but I do remember we had to have a name for our twig when we had a dance on Circle Drive at Emporia ... I think part of it was filmed for the "My Story" Corps video ... we were Spanky and Our Gang, but my favorite was a twig of four guys and four girls, dressed appropriately as the "Four Skins and the Circumsisters." The guys had panty hose over their heads and the girls had made cardboard cutouts of scissors, which they wore. (I can pretty well bet you didn't see them in the video, though!)

wow, I would have been so embarrassed!!

in spite of the laugh, you reminded me of some very unpleasant memories. I'd wiped away the AC "twig" I was in, and now it's back in all it's unpleasant glory. what a waste of time that was.

Yeah, we named that one swatratra. I'll have to credit J. Mohn for that. We made a mobile depicting our namesake that hung over our table in the cafeteria. It was pretty awful-looking, though we thought it funny. Somebody made us take it down.

Another one I was in we called the Living Dogs (as in 'better than a dead lion'). Each twig had to give attendance up the chain of command at every dang meeting. We each adopted our own dog bark. To take attendance, I'd bark once then listen for the various barks. I could tell you who was there in seconds. Eventually I got into trouble for that, too. I loved that little group because R&M Reece were just about the funnest & most decent people ever.

Edited by TheEvan

I remember it well-- Evan's Living Dogs. The barking was really cool cuz everything was so noisy anyways with everyone trying to verify all their twig members were present and all... and then if you were listening, you could hear the 5 or 6 different barks....had not thought of that in ages...it was only 30 years ago....

yeppers, excie and ahead of their time since vic really hammered on the dog solja thing teaching Romans to the 7th and 9th korks and this was 6kkthppht kork first year in-rez. Ev always was a trail-blazer....

Honestly we weren't thinking dog soldiers, never having hear of such a creature. It was more along the lines of considering ourselves puny little unnoticed Corps-bots, but hey, a living dog (despised thing) is mo' better than a dead lion. Ie: at least we're alive...

I wonder what Rod & Maureen are up to these days.