GreaseSpot Cafe

Name that Flick

Raf

Interesting guess, but no. This movie was about a decade later.

The next quote would probably be the most recognizable:

"I am my ideal. But YOU are my idol."

"Come along now and let's, uh, get out of these loose clothes and slip into something tight."

"I didn't catch your name, boy."

"I didn't throw it."

"That's pretty tacky."

"I didn't want us to have a language barrier."

"Lorelei, do you know about the Birds and the Bees?"

"No."

"Well, I better get out of here or you're going to find out."

"You know something? A kiss is worth more than a thousand words."

"Then why don't you stop talking?"

George

"Eric Von Zipper adores you. And when Eric Von Zipper adores somebody, they stay adored."

"I am my ideal. But YOU are my idol."

"Come along now and let's, uh, get out of these loose clothes and slip into something tight."

"I didn't catch your name, boy."

"I didn't throw it."

"That's pretty tacky."

"I didn't want us to have a language barrier."

"Lorelei, do you know about the Birds and the Bees?"

"No."

"Well, I better get out of here or you're going to find out."

"You know something? A kiss is worth more than a thousand words."

"Then why don't you stop talking?"

George

"You know, begging your pardon, but the one my heart goes out to is your father. There he is in that cold, heartless bank day after day, hemmed in by mounds of cold, heartless money. I don't like to see any living thing caged up."

"Father? In a cage?"

"They makes cages in all sizes and shapes, you know. Bank-shaped, some of 'em, carpets and all."

"I got a jolly joke I saved for just such an occasion. Would you like to hear it?"

[sobbing] "I'd be so grateful."

"Well it's about me granddad, see, and one night he has a nightmare. He was so scared, he chewed his pillow to bits. Bits. In the morning, I says, "How you feel, Granddad?" He says, "Oh, not bad. A little down in the mouth." -- "I always say there's nothing like a good joke."

[sobbing] "No, and that was nothing like a good joke."

George

"I do not, for one, think that the problem was that the band was down. I think that the problem *may* have been, that there was a Stonehenge monument on the stage that was in danger of being crushed by a dwarf. Alright? That tended to understate the hugeness of the object."

"I really think you're just making much too big a thing out of it."

"Making a big thing out of it would have been a good idea."

"I do not, for one, think that the problem was that the band was down. I think that the problem *may* have been, that there was a Stonehenge monument on the stage that was in danger of being crushed by a dwarf. Alright? That tended to understate the hugeness of the object."

" In ancient times, hundreds of years before the dawn of history, an ancient race of people... the Druids. No one knows who they were or what they were doing..."

"He died in a bizarre gardening accident..."

"Authorities said... best leave it... unsolved."

"Now, during the Flower People period, who was your drummer?"

"Stumpy's replacement, Peter James Bond. He also died in mysterious circumstances. We were playing a, uh..."

"...Festival."

"Jazz blues festival. Where was that?"

"Blues jazz, really."

"Blues jazz festival. Misnamed."

"It was in the Isle of, uh..."

"Isle of Lucy. The Isle of Lucy jazz and blues festival."

"And, uh, it was tragic, really. He exploded on stage."

"Just like that."

"He just went up."

"He just was like a flash of green light... And that was it. Nothing was left."

"Look at his face."

"Well, there was..."

"It's true, this really did happen."

"It's true. There was a little green globule on his drum seat."

"Like a stain, really."

"It was more of a stain than a globule, actually."

"You know, several, you know, dozens of people spontaneously combust each year. It's just not really widely reported."

"Nigel gave me a drawing that said 18 inches. Now, whether or not he knows the difference between feet and inches is not my problem. I do what I'm told."

"But you're not as confused as him are you. I mean, it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel."

" In ancient times, hundreds of years before the dawn of history, an ancient race of people... the Druids. No one knows who they were or what they were doing..."

"He died in a bizarre gardening accident..."

"Authorities said... best leave it... unsolved."

"Now, during the Flower People period, who was your drummer?"

"Stumpy's replacement, Peter James Bond. He also died in mysterious circumstances. We were playing a, uh..."

"...Festival."

"Jazz blues festival. Where was that?"

"Blues jazz, really."

"Blues jazz festival. Misnamed."

"It was in the Isle of, uh..."

"Isle of Lucy. The Isle of Lucy jazz and blues festival."

"And, uh, it was tragic, really. He exploded on stage."

"Just like that."

"He just went up."

"He just was like a flash of green light... And that was it. Nothing was left."

"Look at his face."

"Well, there was..."

"It's true, this really did happen."

"It's true. There was a little green globule on his drum seat."

"Like a stain, really."

"It was more of a stain than a globule, actually."

"You know, several, you know, dozens of people spontaneously combust each year. It's just not really widely reported."

"We're very lucky in the band in that we have two visionaries, David and Nigel, they're like poets, like Shelley and Byron. They're two distinct types of visionaries, it's like fire and ice, basically. I feel my role in the band is to be somewhere in the middle of that, kind of like lukewarm water."

"Isn't there a law against this sort of thing? Surely you can't just buy a full page ad in the music papers and publish your divorce demands.

What do you mean 'I paid for it'?

Joint account!"

"You put a greased naked woman on all fours with a dog collar around her neck, and a leash, and a man's arm extended out up to here, holding onto the leash, and pushing a black glove in her face to sniff it. You don't find that offensive? You don't find that sexist?"

"This is 1982, Bobbi, c'mon!"

"That's right, it's 1982! Get out of the '60s. We don't have this mentality anymore."

"Well, you should have seen the cover they wanted to do! It wasn't a glove, believe me."

"This is Spinal Tap"?

George

This is correct.

One sub-plot involved a "Stonehenge" tour with an 18-foot model of

Stonehenge onstage.

Except it was specified as 18 inches, not 18 feet. So, rather than looming

over the band, the band could trip over it and kick it over.

A running gag was that the drummers were all cursed and dying of mysterious

things- spontaneous combustion and so on.

I'm sure that WW or Raf would get this movie from any one of the following, so I'll post them all. The movie wasn't THAT well-known, so I don't think it's "Flicks Remembered..." material:

"Paramount Pictures presents 'The Freak.' This movie won't just scare you, it will f--- you up for life."

"Porsche. It's a little too small to get laid IN, but you get laid the minute you get out!"

"You may think phone service stinks since deregulation, but don't mess with us, because we're all you've got. In fact, if we fold, you'll have no damn phones. AT&T - we're tired of taking your cr@p!"

"Metamucil: It helps you go to the toilet. If you don't use it, you'll get cancer and die."

"Volvo — they're boxy but they're good."

"Forget Paris. The French can be annoying. Come to Greece. We're nicer."

"Sony -- because Caucasians are too damn tall."

George

Volvos- they're boxy but they're SAFE.

"I don't know about the plant, sir. Please hold."

That was the line that put me in hysterics. It was when people phoned in about the diet ad.

Let's face it, if you look like this, you're fat.

The ad ended with "If you call know, we'll send you a free plant."

And the poor people answering the phones had no idea what the ad said.

This is "Crazy People." And yes, I should have been able to get it from any of those. :)

"Woman, please! I am not from Havana!"

"What did you expect? "Welcome, sonny"? "Make yourself at home"? "Marry my daughter"?

You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West.

You know... morons."

"Did you hear that? Now it's "please". This morning, I couldn't get the time of day."