GreaseSpot Cafe

Name that Flick

Raf

"I ask you to kill Superman, and you're telling me you couldn't even do that one, simple thing."

"I don't want to go to jail because there are robbers and rapers and rapers who rape robbers."

"Well I hope you don't expect me to save you, 'cause I don't do that anymore."

"I'm long past savin'."

"Activate circuits 29 through W7 and start full-power coordinates on exterior defensive systems."

"In other words, push this red button."

"How did you know about that?"

"You know a wise man once said, I think it was Attila the Hun, "It is not enough that I succeed, everyone else must fail.""

"What will it do?"

"Anything I tell it."

"What will it do for me?"

"For you, it will do anything you tell me to tell it to do for you."

A key plot element of this movie was mentioned in "Office Space."

George

Those quotes sound like something that Gene Hackman would say.

And it was made mention of in Office Space.

Superman II

I agree about Hackman, but I'm thinking it's Superman 3,

not Superman 2. I've seen Superman 2 a lot and I think I'd

recognize much of the script.

Naturally, if I'm wrong, I will be chagrined.

WordWolf is correct. Superman 3 is the only Superman movie (since the 70's) where neither Zod nor Luthor was the villain. Richard Pryor plays a computer whiz blackmailed by Robert Vaughn to kill Superman. First he tries to make Kryptonite, but since he couldn't get the exact recipe, it only made Superman slovenly. Then Vaughn has him build a supercomputer (reminiscent of the "Bat-puter" of the 60's); but that doesn't do it, either (of course).

Vaughn was able to blackmail Pryor because he caught Pryor getting all of the rounded fractions of cents from everyone else's paycheck put into a check for himself. This stratagem (with the appropriate reference) was used in "Office Space," as well.

George

"Not everyone believes what you believe."

"My beliefs do not require them to."

"I remember that for 100 years they have sent their armies to destroy us, and after a century of war I remember that which matters most... We are still here!"

"There are levels of survival we are prepared to accept."

Edited by WordWolf

"I remember that for 100 years they have sent their armies to destroy us, and after a century of war I remember that which matters most... We are still here!"

"You!"

"Me. Me, me, me."

"Me, too."

" There is so much in this world that I do not understand. See that machine? It has something to do with recycling our water supply. I have absolutely no idea how it works. But I do understand the reason for it to work."

"You!"

"Me. Me, me, me."

"Me, too."

" There is so much in this world that I do not understand. See that machine? It has something to do with recycling our water supply. I have absolutely no idea how it works. But I do understand the reason for it to work."

"You always told me to stay off the freeway."

"Yes, that's true."

"You said it was suicide."

"Then let us hope that I was wrong."

"Can we move this along?"

"You see there is only one constant. One universal. It is the only real truth. Causality. Action, reaction. Cause and effect."

"What does he want?"

"What do all men with power want? More power."

"You!"

"Me. Me, me, me."

"Me, too."

"Yes, that's true."

"You see there is only one constant. One universal. It is the only real truth. Causality. Action, reaction. Cause and effect."

"What does he want?"

I am Seraph. I can take you to her. But first, I must apologize."

"For what?"

"For this."

"I love French wine, like I love the French language. I have sampled every language, French is my favorite. Fantastic language. Especially to curse with."

I've been waiting for you. You have many questions, and although the process has altered your consciousness, you remain irrevocably human. Ergo, some of my answers you will understand, and some of them you will not. Concordantly, while your first question may be the most pertinent, you may or may not realize it is also the most irrelevant."[/b]

"I have dreamed a dream, but now that dream is gone from me."

"It seems that every time we meet, I have nothing but bad news. I'm sorry about that, I surely am. But for what it's worth, you've made a believer out of me. Good luck, kiddo."

" The ones doing their job, doing what they were meant to do, are invisible. You'd never even know they were here. But the other ones, well, we hear about them all the time."

"I've never heard of them."

"Oh, of course you have. Every time you've heard someone say they saw a ghost, or an angel."

Edited by WordWolf

"You!"

"Me. Me, me, me."

"Me, too."

"Yes, that's true."

"What does he want?"

I am Seraph. I can take you to her. But first, I must apologize."

"For what?"

"For this."

"I love French wine, like I love the French language. I have sampled every language, French is my favorite. Fantastic language. Especially to curse with."

"I've been waiting for you. You have many questions, and although the process has altered your consciousness, you remain irrevocably human. Ergo, some of my answers you will understand, and some of them you will not. Concordantly, while your first question may be the most pertinent, you may or may not realize it is also the most irrelevant."

"I have dreamed a dream, but now that dream is gone from me."

"It seems that every time we meet, I have nothing but bad news. I'm sorry about that, I surely am. But for what it's worth, you've made a believer out of me. Good luck, kiddo."

" The ones doing their job, doing what they were meant to do, are invisible. You'd never even know they were here. But the other ones, well, we hear about them all the time."

"I've never heard of them."

"Oh, of course you have. Every time you've heard someone say they saw a ghost, or an angel."

"As you adequately put, the problem is choice. But we already know what you are going to do, don't we? Already I can see the chain reaction: the chemical precursors that signal the onset of an emotion, designed specifically to overwhelm logic and reason. An emotion that is already blinding you to the simple and obvious truth: she is going to die and there is nothing you can do to stop it. Hope. It is the quintessential human delusion, simultaneously the source of your greatest strength, and your greatest weakness."

"As I was saying, she stumbled upon a solution whereby nearly ninety-nine percent of the test subjects accepted the program provided they were given a choice - even if they were only aware of it at a near-unconscious level. While this solution worked, it was fundamentally flawed, creating the otherwise contradictory systemic anomaly, that, if left unchecked, might threaten the system itself. Ergo, those who refused the program, while a minority, would constitute an escalating probability of disaster."

"This is about Zion."

"But, as you well know, appearances can be deceiving, which brings me back to the reason why we're here. We're not here because we're free. We're here because we're not free. There is no escaping reason; no denying purpose. Because as we both know, without purpose, we would not exist."

"It is purpose that created us."

"Purpose that connects us."

"Purpose that pulls us."

"That guides us."

"That drives us."

"It is purpose that defines us."

"Purpose that binds us."

"We are here because of you, Mr Anderson. We're here to take from you what you tried to take from us.

Purpose."

I say give him the credit for it, WordWolf!

Well, heck, Raf! If you knew it, why didn't you answer?

"I do not believe you realize the gravity of your situation."

"Gravity was foremost on my mind."

"What is this power you have to control the minds of my crew?"

"I don't control minds. I free them."

George

Ah.

"Where did you get this power?"

"The power was within you."

"I feel as if a weight has been lifted from my heart. How can I repay you for this miracle?"

"Join my quest."

"What is it you seek?"

"What you seek. What all men have sought since time began. Ultimate knowledge."

George

No, though there is a faint link to Galaxy Quest.

If you've seen the movie, this will give it away:

1 "What does God need with a starship?"

2 "Jim, what are you doing?"

1 "I'm asking a question."

3 "Who is this creature?"

1 "Who am I? Don't you know? Aren't you God?"

4 "He has his doubts."

3 "You doubt me?"

1 "I seek proof."

"Where did you get this power?"

"The power was within you."

"I feel as if a weight has been lifted from my heart. How can I repay you for this miracle?"

"Join my quest."

"What is it you seek?"

"What you seek. What all men have sought since time began. Ultimate knowledge."

George

I'm chagrined to say I paid money to see it at the movie theater when it came out.

It's funny. What was probably the worst Star Trek movie seemed to be a long version of what was probably the worst Star Trek episode ("The Way to Eden" -- although "Spock's Brain" is probably tied). :)

George

"You can keep doing that forever, the dog is NEVER going to move."

" Me, I'm dishonest. And a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. I mean honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for. Because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly...stupid."