GreaseSpot Cafe

Name that Flick

Raf

"Let's work the problem, people. Let's not make things any worse by guessing."

"I don't care what anything was designed to do. I care about what it can do.

So let's get to work, let's lay it out, okay?"

"With all due respect, sir, I believe this is gonna be our finest hour."

"When I go up there on 19, I'm gonna take my entire collection of Johnny Cash along!"

"Dad, can I please wear this?"

"Sure."

"Jim!"

"No! No, absolutely not."

"Do they know they're not on the air?"

"We'll tell them when they get back."

" I remember this one time - I'm in a Banshee at night in combat conditions, so there's no running lights on the carrier. It was the Shrangri-La, and we were in the Sea of Japan and my radar had jammed, and my homing signal was gone... because somebody in Japan was actually using the same frequency. And so it was - it was leading me away from where I was supposed to be. And I'm lookin' down at a big, black ocean, so I flip on my map light, and then suddenly: zap. Everything shorts out right there in my cockpit. All my instruments are gone. My lights are gone. And I can't even tell now what my altitude is. I know I'm running out of fuel, so I'm thinking about ditching in the ocean. And I, I look down there, and then in the darkness there's this uh, there's this green trail. It's like a long carpet that's just laid out right beneath me. And it was the algae, right? It was that phosphorescent stuff that gets churned up in the wake of a big ship. And it was - it was - it was leading me home. You know? If my cockpit lights hadn't shorted out, there's no way I'd ever been able to see that. So uh, you, uh, never know... what... what events are to transpire to get you home."

" Gentlemen... what are your intentions?"

I'd like to go home."

"No, Henry! Those people don't put one piece of equipment on my lawn. If they have a problem with that, they can take it up with my husband. He'll be home... on Friday!"

"Uh, well, if anyone from the, uh, from the IRS is watching, I... forgot to file my, my, my 1040 return. Um, I meant to do it today, but, uh..."

"That's no joke. They'll jump on him!"

"When I go up there on 19, I'm gonna take my entire collection of Johnny Cash along!"

"Sure."

"Jim!"

" I remember this one time - I'm in a Banshee at night in combat conditions, so there's no running lights on the carrier. It was the Shrangri-La, and we were in the Sea of Japan and my radar had jammed, and my homing signal was gone... because somebody in Japan was actually using the same frequency. And so it was - it was leading me away from where I was supposed to be. And I'm lookin' down at a big, black ocean, so I flip on my map light, and then suddenly: zap. Everything shorts out right there in my cockpit. All my instruments are gone. My lights are gone. And I can't even tell now what my altitude is. I know I'm running out of fuel, so I'm thinking about ditching in the ocean. And I, I look down there, and then in the darkness there's this uh, there's this green trail. It's like a long carpet that's just laid out right beneath me. And it was the algae, right? It was that phosphorescent stuff that gets churned up in the wake of a big ship. And it was - it was - it was leading me home. You know? If my cockpit lights hadn't shorted out, there's no way I'd ever been able to see that. So uh, you, uh, never know... what... what events are to transpire to get you home."

I'd like to go home."

"No, Henry! Those people don't put one piece of equipment on my lawn. If they have a problem with that, they can take it up with my husband. He'll be home... on Friday!"

"Uh, well, if anyone from the, uh, from the IRS is watching, I... forgot to file my, my, my 1040 return. Um, I meant to do it today, but, uh..."

"Jack, you'll be glad to hear that we've contacted President Nixon, and he's going to grant you an extension on your income taxes, since you are most decidedly out of the country."

You're going to kick yourself, George.

I'm sure you've seen this movie more than once.

There are a lot of famous movies I haven't seen. For instance,

"Apocalypse Now"?

George

No, it sounds like it just left theatres or at most 2 years old.

You're going to kick yourself, George.

I'm sure you've seen this movie more than once.

That's a big hint to me, so I'm going with

Green Lantern

"Sure."

"Jim!"

I'd like to go home."

"Jack, you'll be glad to hear that we've contacted President Nixon, and he's going to grant you an extension on your income taxes, since you are most decidedly out of the country."

"Roger that, Houston. That's wonderful news."

[kicking myself]

"Apollo 13"

To be fair, it hit me this morning on the way to work, before I saw your latest post.

George

There were a lot of giveaway lines to choose from, but I went with the funniest one.

My favorite line in the movie was given to Clint Howard in Mission Control.

He was the one who said the IRS would get Jack for not filing his extension.

If Raf was checking, he'd have gotten it instantly from that-I thought other people

would as well.

Some people probably would have caught the reference to a possible Apollo 19 and

Johnny Cash records. Oh, well.

It's your turn.

It was the taxes line that I eventually remembered. Then everything else fell into place.

"There are two kinds of men and only two. And that young man is one kind. He is high-minded. He is pure. He's the kind of man the world pretends to look up to, and in fact despises. He is the kind of man who breeds unhappiness, particularly in women. Do you understand? I think you do. There's another kind. Not high-minded, not pure, but alive. Now, that your tastes at this time should incline towards the juvenile is understandable; but for you to marry that boy would be a disaster. Because there's two kinds of women. There are two kinds of women and you, as we well know, are not the first kind. You, my dear, are a slut."

George

"If they were to give me two more excavators, I'd be a year ahead of the plan by now."

"You're an impatient generation."

"Weren't you?"

"Yes, we were, very. Oh, don't be so impatient, Comrade Engineer. We've come very far, very fast."

"Yes, I know that, Comrade General."

"Yes, but do you know what it cost? There were children in those days who lived off human flesh. Did you know that?"

"Who are you to refuse my sugar? Who are you to refuse me anything?"

"There are two kinds of men and only two. And that young man is one kind. He is high-minded. He is pure. He's the kind of man the world pretends to look up to, and in fact despises. He is the kind of man who breeds unhappiness, particularly in women. Do you understand? I think you do. There's another kind. Not high-minded, not pure, but alive. Now, that your tastes at this time should incline towards the juvenile is understandable; but for you to marry that boy would be a disaster. Because there's two kinds of women. There are two kinds of women and you, as we well know, are not the first kind. You, my dear, are a slut."

George

"Good marriages are made in heaven... or some such place."

"They rode them down, Lara. Women and children, begging for bread. There will be no more 'peaceful' demonstrations."

"If they were to give me two more excavators, I'd be a year ahead of the plan by now."

"You're an impatient generation."

"Weren't you?"

"Yes, we were, very. Oh, don't be so impatient, Comrade Engineer. We've come very far, very fast."

"Yes, I know that, Comrade General."

"Yes, but do you know what it cost? There were children in those days who lived off human flesh. Did you know that?"

"Who are you to refuse my sugar? Who are you to refuse me anything?"

George

" Yes, it was my privilege to know him and to make him known to the world. He was a poet, a scholar and a mighty warrior. He was also the most shameless exhibitionist since Barnum & Bailey."

"There is the railway. And that is the desert. From here until we reach the other side, no water but what we carry with us. For the camels, no water at all. If the camels die, we die. And in twenty days they will start to die."

"There's no time to waste, then, is there?"

"What ails the Englishman?"

"The one he killed is the one he brought out of the Nafud."

"It was written, then. Better to have left him there."

Edited by Raf