GreaseSpot Cafe

Best site for low air fares

waterbuffalo

Southwest - download their "Ding!" program and you can get great last minute deals that way. They frequently have "if you purchase your ticket by midnight tonight" sales that you can't get anywhere else.

There are others, but SW has been the best for me, so far. Only, they won't let you fly with pets, which is a problem for me sometimes.

Alot of times if you go to the airlines web site and look around they will have a list of discounted fares if flights are light. These will not be listed with the regulare flight listins but as specials. Cant remember exatly where I found it.

I've done this on Delta before.

Also travel agents can do wonders sometimes.

US Air has Esavers, kind of like the Soutwest plan. You can sign up for it online and they'll send you an email once a week with specials. It worked well for me when I planned to visit my family and I could change my plans and fly instead of drive. They only give you a listing for the following week, so if it's a week you're already planning on traveling, or you can make plans at the last minute, it will work for you.

"she who must be obeyed" uses www.cheaptickets.com

What I've done is register at all of their sites for 'email updates'... yeah, you get a lot of them that you don't need, but every now and then it pays off... go to the websites of the airlines that fly in and out of your home airport... I can usually find and get as cheap a prices as 'those websites'...

If your dates are flexible you can scan what they're offering and travel that way...

Edited by Tom Strange

Thanks Tom and Cool--jetblue, bestfares, and airfarewatchdog are three I'd never heard of.

Just goes to show GSers are, drum roll, once again, the brightest of the bright around!!!!

Thanks Ex10 for the best international site. I'll keep that in mind if I ever get BRAVE ENOUGH to fly internationally again. LOL!

Bat, I got those esavers from US Air for, oh 3 for 4 years, coming to my email and never found one when I was traveling so I unsubscribed. Used to get Bing from SW, too, and never found a good one WHEN I was traveling. But, thanks for the reminders. I might sign up for them again in my spammed to heck old email account that I don't use much anymore.

How about for oneway tiks FROM Europe? Ex's site doesn't seem to give me that option, although they DO allow one way TO Europe. SoOMEday, I may talk the kid into coming back here (if the war stops and the creek don't rise), and I am not sure the airhitch thing they used to get there works as well coming back.

~HAP

Ohmigosh, you guys, I've booked tickets originating in Europe before, from here. It ain't that hard. I just have to remember how I did it. :B)

I know this past summer, I wanted to use frequent flyer miles to get back to Houston from Munich, so I just called Continental (the airline my miles are with) and booked it.

I think I googled a list of European Air Carriers. I know KLM and British Airways have places on their websites where you can book from any country. Those are the 2 airlines I flew on within Europe, and I booked online from here. Also, I checked out Ryan-Air for inside Europe travel, and could have booked that from here as well. Aer Lingus can be booked from here. It's just that not all the US websites for cheap tickets let you book from here. But some do. And they all have currency converters so you know how much you are really paying. Unfortunately, I didn't save my list.

Flying within Europe, you pay ALOT of taxes, so you really have to pay attention, because in England for example, the ticket price that is listed will double almost after the taxes are added. It's still fairly inexpensive to fly within England though, compared to here.

Another thing I have learned to do, is ALWAYS check with the airline itself when I find a cheap fare online, because sometimes booking through the airline directly is EVEN LESS than an advertized cheap fare on a web site. Again, it depends on the airline.....Had to learn that one the hard way.... :evilshades:

Ok, I just did a quick google search, and yeah there are sites where you can book from Europe to here. You just have to look around a bit. The first one that came up for me was: www.statravel.com. It's a site for students. Just click on the button at the top right hand part of the page, that says "worldwide."

yes Ex, I knew one could call the airlines direct, but i was playing with the discounted sites. I had forgotten about STA however, and the kids are registered there. Their rates are usually great, with the added benefit of being able to change departure for a very small fee. ($25 last time we used it). It's all hypothetical anyway in my case, I am probably dreaming that they will end up back here anytime soon. I may have to just go see them again in a year or three LOL.

thanks for your effort.

~HAP