GreaseSpot Cafe

Pit Bulls

Dot Matrix

Pit bulls

I work with animals and I have met a few nice Pit bulls, a few that are questionable and several mean ones.

They are our number one puppy being brought in to the clinic.

I wonder, if for the most part, the breed cannot be domesticated...

1. A client was in his home watching TV with his family. His mixed dog Quincy was on the couch next to him. The neighbor, who let his PIT run free, could not understand English enough when confronted about it and continued to let the pit run wild. One night with the senior I just described the PIT burst through the glass window and attacked their dog who was on the couch! An unprovoked attack. We stitched the dog up.

2. We found an abandoned red nose pit tied to our fence. We helped it and found a wonderful young man (18) who wanted it. The Pit was VERY sweet and we had every reason to think this was a good match. The adoption was fine for a little while. Then, the Pit, with no provocation attacked the two year old nephew by biting his face.

3. On the news, they just spoke of a woman and her 18 month old child who were attacked by a roaming pit bull. Out of the blue another dog running free, seemed to be a golden mix, came to save the woman and child. The poor Golden was getting its Azz kicked as he tried to protect them. A neighbor lady ran over with a kitchen knife and stabbed the pit to death.

This may have been discussed before, but so has everything else! Big smile!

It just bothers me. So we eradiate a whole breed or do we start putting owners in jail?

This all came to a head when a kid was walking his pit without a leash around our street where we walk our small dogs on a leash. Next time I may following him home to see where he lives.

What do we do about the Pit bull?

cover4-9944.jpg

Welcome to Georgia!

What to do?

Yet, look at this little guy

Pit%20Bulls%207-11-05%20005.jpg

Edited by Dot Matrix

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is an article similar to what was on TV but different.

On TV they did not know where the pit came from and the helpful dog was a stranger as well -- maybe this is a different account

Maybe the reporting on TV was not accurate -- but none-the-less another attack...

http://www.azcentral.com/community/phoenix...ting0126Z3.html

Edited by Dot Matrix

Some nations do not hesitate to eliminate breeds entirely.

Our eldest son has a pit bull. His Ex-girlfriend gave it to him, and she made such a huge deal of it that he felt really compelled to accept it.

Now that he has had it a year, he is attached.

Though training has been difficult, and trying to understand the dog's personality has been a real stretch for our son.

I have told him many times of the dangers of pits, as well as difficulties. But now that he has had it for so long, and feels attached to it. We wait and see.

:)

We owned a brother and sister from five weeks old but had to get rid of the brother to someone that lived out in the sticks due to danger signs. The girl that we kept until going into the wc and then giving to a man that lived on a ranch was the gentlest thing possible.

I don't know what that contributes but it's my personal experience of the breed.

I woundn't necessarily ban the breed, but I think the breeding of Pit Bulls should be banned. Pit Bulls are the most abused breed of dog. Why would we want more to be born to be abused, hurt, and exploited.

Shelters are already destroying thousands of dogs, why breed more pit bulls?

Simba

The missing Chow we prayed for---

When he boarded with us, we had a pit bull there as well. That pit broke free of the VERY STRONG CAGE and attacked Simba the chow. It took three staff members, a hose, and various other things to get the pit off of the prize winning chow. Yes, the chow was a $2,000.00 dog.

When we told the PIT owner we would no longer board her dog she argued that we were discriminating because she was black. Well, Simba's owner was black and we would still board him! Then, she said we discriminated against him because he was a pit. We told her we refused to board a dangerous dog. Then, she said we discriminated against her because she was a woman.... Go figure...

We pretty much told her to get lost.

I just love folks that cry race card. :realmad:

They can be dangerous as has been proven. But the thing most concerning is they have a jaw hold of a shark and that is something that only one hit and you could be dead.

I loved ours though but still we were no fools regarding her either. We treated her with a healthy mix of respect and fear.

Our neighbor rescues a Great Dane who was used a bait to train Pit Bulls in Atlanta.

The poor dog had not been fed, was tied to a tree, and these gangster types (yeah, that's right) were teaching the pits to rip the Dane up. The police busted them and the Dane went to a rescue. It was afraid and emaciated.

But the gangster (police description) was traing pit bulls to fight as he did that, ran ilegal dog fights --

Edited by Dot Matrix

Here is a different - or maybe an additional view from Pit Bull lovers

Pitbull Attacks: Deadly Pit Bull Attacks and Why They Happen

http://www.pitbulllovers.com/pitbull-attacks-deadly.html

Another mauling

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...MNGRODDG2S1.DTL

This one says be afraid...

http://www.city-journal.org/html/9_2_scared_of_pit.html

There is another stange breed I forget the name

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0102/03/smn.04.html

Recall this story, where a woman was killed in the hallway by her neighbors dog?

This breed came into one of the hospitals I worked for and the vet was on the table fighting for his life they called the police and wither they shot him or took him away and destryed him. Forget which

Here it is

Canary Island mastiff

I thought the dog breed began with a "P"

Well, the people got the dogs for protection and they were more about protection thean they were about being a friendly pet. The owners were prosecuted in the wrongful death of Diane Whipple

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/ti...l?s=oldest&

Look at this - the poor little doggie

"After a rash of unsettling incidents—including a tornado of eight unleashed pit bulls swirling across the park and the savage mangling of our neighbor's small mutt by another loose pit bull—we decided this was no place for a baby, and we left. We had learned that intimidating dogs can impair a neighborhood's quality of life and give the sense that no one is in charge every bit as much as drug dealing, prostitution, or aggressive panhandling."

Dott, you know I have a soft spot for Danes. Do you have any knowledge if the abused Dane found a good home?

They are the gentlest of giants, I cannot bear to think of one of those sweet gentle souls being forced to fight for their lives.

If you have any knowledge of this dog or if he needs a loving home, I would glady bring him here to live with our other Dane, sweet zena.

My experience with Pits is that they can be very dangerous unpredictable animals. I am a fan of every dog, but this is one breed that should be tightly regulated....ie never able to be owned or bred by families with children, never owned by someone who doesn`t have the fascilities to prevent these animals from harming innocent animals and children.

In my opinion, the restrictions should be as tight on them as the exotic animals ie tigers and bears and elephants.

Oh and how AWSOME about the dog coming to the resue. Was anybody able to find it and reward it afterward?

The dogs that killed the woman in the hallwayin California were presacanarios I know the spelling isnt` right, but they are very different and dangerous animals....this pair gave many warnings, there were many many complaints made....

Mastiffs like the one in your picture are generally quite protective and sweet. When an intruder comes though, they have been bred for centuries to actually knock the offender down and sit or lie on them

Don`t let the fierce looks decieve you. They are wonderfull intellegent reasonable animals.

Edited by rascal

The dogs were breed for one thing and one thing only, though the fights are now illegal there is huge money in dog fighting and cock fighting and don't think your city or area is innocent in these highly organized and hidden abuses. Pit Bulls are extremely aggressive, that is what the breeders looked for.

Now because man made the beast we destroy the beast and toss the whole breed? There are some out there that are not desirable breeders because of all things they have good disposition. Gentle and faithful dogs they are, without the inbred desire to kill anything its jaws can get a hold of.

But it is the same as guns, guns don't kill, neither do dogs that are taken care of properly after they are properly breed. Pits when they are good are the best, and I have had them that wouldn't harm a fly , unless the fly attacked one of me or mine.

The solutions lie in destroying the "bad seed" and criminal charges equal to lethal weapon charges and even murder for the owner that just had to have a vicious dog to protect their more often as not illegal activities. Then the responsible breeders need to step up and breed back into the dogs the greater good qualities. Breeders all but destroyed breeds like the Irish Setters by breeder for only a single quality; that being looks. The responsible breeders started including genetic traits like brains and saved the breed.

Pit bulls could have to carry papers (so to speak) that they came from responsible breeders that have a documented ancestry of gentle well mannered dogs. It is a myth that the training is all that determines if its going to be a good Pit or not, the breeding has made the majority of the breed to aggressive and most people are idiots when it comes to handling such animals.

I have found there are apartment complexes that have 4 breeds they wil not allow if they allow pets. Pit Bulls are among them. Since Daddyhoundog works for the phone company, dogs ingeneral are something he is very careful abou, even more than a mailman. If there are pit bulls...he will consider long and hard how responsible the owner is. He has been bit 3 times in 8 years.

I love animals in general (although not so fond of the rodent type for house pets) it occurs to me that the jerks that do not train or poorly train their dogs-specifically the Pits, if the breed no longer existed, they would mistrain another breed.

Duc valid points

Thanks WW

Rascal - yes, the Dane is with my neighbor -- the mailman who was shot by a lunatic on his delivery route. The dogs have been helpful to his healing. I agree Danes are the sweetest of the sweet

cute pic of the pit bull pup

i bet hitlerand docvic were cute as babies too

imo get rid of them they are mean and hurt people

LOL

When it comes to large breed dogs.....ANY large breed dogs, the socialization and training is paramount. A few years ago at my office a "dog de bordeax" (french pit bull) went for my neck and bruised my chin but was jerked back before he broke the skin. Needless to say, he was never invited back.

A number of years ago, my aunt and uncle who had a "pack of chows" realized why they are so highly prized as fighters. My their daughters husband was at home alone with the pack and one of them *snapped.* The dog jumped up and latched on to my cousin's arm right before the shoulder. The man was able to make it into the garage with the chow locked onto his arm, there, he grabbed a rifle and shot the dog off.

There are some really bad traits bred into every breed.....but more than that..............there are some really bad traits bred into their breeders.

We as a society ought to out right ban back yard breeders.

Radar

the couple down the street got a pit

they are a biker type couple who gets joy out of thinking they are hot (no offense to bikers or hot people)

my son used to go down there when the pit was still a puppy

i was totally freaked out and stopped letting him go down there (i know these folks)

anyway, a few years went by and i asked the child of the couple what happened to his dog

"oh we got rid of it, he tried to attack me...."

oh my heart

--

hi radar !