GreaseSpot Cafe

The crips folk nation is here

Dot Matrix

But if one of those guys shot a teen it would be all over the news some 44 year old man killed a 13 year-old little boy.

Dot,

I think your attitude toward use of lethal force is good. As in, "let's not be too quick" with it. That you have a concealed carry permit AND have a less than gung ho approach, IMO, is good. I'd hope that you'd be capable of using your weapon IF absolutely necessary, but having respect for the inherent danger associated with it is probably healthy.

AND there's NO question that IF a middle schooler or early high school kid were shot, you'd have a seriously chaotic mess on your hands. AND that's NOT to mention the personal emotional/psych issues that would certainly be there, especially for the shooter.

So, in light of some of the posts suggesting use of lethal force, I applaud you for your, somewhat reserved, approach to that aspect of any potential situation.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to all the posts.

I cannot tell you how dirty I feel when I drive into my somewhat country neighborhood, and see black paint on everything.

I feel sick and so discouraged. My neighbor Donna is dear to me, she has fought a lot of obstacles as a single mother. And she looked at me with tears in her eyes and just said how it violates all she has tried to build for she and her son. This woman works like a horse to keep her house in stellar condition, I could feel her heart sinking but all we could do was hear the police wiggle out of responsibility

Other people were speaking of what it did to them -- just stops your heart for a beat.

I am sick

I am so sick at heart

Crying does not help but it is all I can do today.

Maybe tomorrow I can muster up some more fight in my soul. But tonight all I can do is cry

Edited by Dot Matrix

It's very unfortunate when one has to actually consider the use of deadly force to protect ones life and property. It's even sadder when it's something that is so unnecessary as urban gang types.

Yesterday, I went out at about 7:30 AM to enjoy the sun and heard a commotion coming from my chicken house. I saw three very large dogs with some of my chickens in their mouths, so I went inside and got a .22 semi auto rifle left by my honored guests and fired two shots killing one of the dogs and hitting another. The second dog ran off screaming and I think is dead since the screaming ended quickly and the dog disappeared nearby. The third dog ran away before I could draw a bead. I went out and found four dead hens and two dead roosters.

What does this have to do with Dot's dilemma?

Both are similar in that both violate our lives and property and both do it violently...and we must do whatever is necessary to deal with it and protect our property.

The only difference between my quadrupedal canines and Dots bipedal hominids is the canines know no better. It's what they do...it's their nature.

How sad it is when this has to happen. However, I don't owe the dogs anything and the dogs owe me nothing, but we and the gang people owe each other the sanctity of our homes, hearth lives, family and property. When criminals violate these social contracts, they become worse than the marauding canines because they know better and it's a choice they make and not just their survival instincts.

I don't know the answers in an urban setting...I haven't lived in an urban setting in nearly 20 years, but where I live, we deal with problems quickly and efficiently. It seems silly to spend our time reacting to some threat by organizing into activist groups or whatever when our time and energy should be spent in much more pleasant and profitable pursuits. It makes more sense to just dispose of the miscreants and go about our business.

I do know, however, that an armed society is a polite society.

If it were 1860 I may consider the Doc Holiday style but it does not work today.

We have an in-ground pool. Even though it is fenced in and we have no trespassing signs it is considered an enticing nuisance. So, if a fence climber, without our permission, goes swimming and drowns, we are responsible in the eyes of the law. Not that I feel any responsibility, but because we have a pool on our own fenced in property, we have a legal responsibility to the "criminal" trespasser.

I am not sure who invents these laws but there they are.

I have a license to carry a concealed weapon, but I have a responsibility as to WHEN I use it. Nobody wants to shoot a kid. But if the kid is a criminal and planning to shoot me, pointing a gun or otherwise obviously going to injure me, I would be compelled to shoot. I would try to aim at a shoulder or something, but geez, why is this coming down to this in a sweet neighborhood? I fault the parents.

I do not want to be in this position, yet here I am. It is very sad and weighs on my mind greatly.

I am thankful for all your considerate posts and advice, thanks

I was told by another with this problem, the best is to keep cleaning off the signs etc. that makes "them" go away. But the street fights? I duuno

And I forgot to say a woman who said it was their first house, saw a guy dragging a woman by her hair down the street. The woman was screaming. I am not sure if it was a gang member. I thought she said she thought it was, but then someone else who was at the meeting doesn't know if this is related.

The neighborhood is going down hill, I guess it is time to leave if I can.

Edited by Dot Matrix

If it were 1860 I may consider the Doc Holiday style but it does not work today.

You are right. It is the only way to stop the violence, but, nobody is going to just start shooting kids. Me included. The only thing to do with you and your life and your family is to just leave. Our government does not have the guts to do what it takes, and by the time that they decide to do something that works, you will be old and gray. Sell your house (while you can still get some money for it), buy a home for cheap in some rural town in the West and live out your life in peace. God will sort things out. Selah.

Edited by papa-gee

I wish I could tell you something to help set everything right again. I'm really sorry you are going through this. I do believe your neighborhood will become gang-free, but it will take some time.

I think you and your neighbors are doing all the right things. You're already organizing, and calling the police.

My only advice to you is to remember that they are children. Not to minimize what they are doing, but so that you and your neighbors remember you are smarter than them, more rational than them, you have more resourses than they do.

((DOT))

vegan i respectfully must disagree

the are young thugs who will grow up to be older and wiser thugs unless they are made to move on

one way or the other.

agreed just moveing on is the one we would wish for but if they don't want to bullets speak louder than words

i was raiding a garden once as a kid and the old boy came out a shot a shot gun in the air

haven't garden sence

Dot,

There are a few alternatives to moving, but none are easy, unfortunately.

The first is to work to change your local government, either by organizing your neighbors and taking over the city council meetings and becoming a huge thorn in the side of all the politicians who do not help you, or by running for office yourself (or getting someone who lives in your neighborhood with the resources to run for office to do so.) The fact is that the government controls the police force, so unless the politicians have a reason to do something about the problem, they will not. They must either willingly help you because it is the right thing to do (and their jobs) or they must help you out of fear of having someone else elected to their job.

The second is to work to set up community outreach programs to prevent more youths from joining gangs and to help those who want to leave. Nobody is born into a gang mentality, it has to be learned. Most people join gangs because they are either missing something at home with their family or because they are scared and want other gang members on their side. Gangs are essentially a cult like TWI, but with a much more violent side. With your knowledge of how cults work, you may be able to have some insight into the psychology of gangs and find ways to stop them without a direct confrontation.

With all that being said, moving away is going to be the easiest solution. It sounds like the cops already gave up on your neighborhood, and perhaps the local government too. It takes a lot of hard work to change such things, and you have to evaluate if the fight is worth it or not for you.

Shoot Dot that sucks big time and I very sympathize with you, the gang problem is scary serious and knowing you are near enuf to me for me to be concerned makes it twice as apparant something needs to be done.

It looks like this problem is being left up to ordinary citizens to deal with, good luck.

Asides from the Lucky 7's program in California which seems nore suited to running off the problem than dealing with it, there are few answers.

My first suggestion is to form a low key focus group of the folks who got their car windows busted, learn who they are and what skills/education/experience they have or can bring to the table be aware of your surroundings and who is in it when you meet, coffee in Athens may be a good idea at this point since you have been singled out.

Locate a church that is willing to provide development assistance (again quietly) and look through grants.gov for ideas on what our government is currently funding in terms of gang related programs. Personally I am in favor of the Lucky 7's concept provided the participants were required to stay in one place, it's hard to keep up with gangsters when they can move from city to city or state to state.

I am doing some basic studywork on gangs as part of my college experience, Mellissa a fellow grad student is the head of a local latino action group, she laughed when I mentioned latino gangs in carroll county, she said they were more victims than criminals I had a quiet laugh as I thought to myself yes today they are but it is that victimhood that will eventually lead them into cultural assimilation or gangsterhood and the odds are there are more reasons to exploit our weaknesses than to work the system like the rest of us dumb funks.

Edited by herbiejuan

Here is the thing, unless I am stuck here -- due to finances -- I do not want to invest all my time into fighting the giants. I do not mind joining with the police to fight back, but the police kinda turned and walked away.

Somethings are worth fighting for, somethings are not. I hate to leave here. I hate to sacrifice 4 or 5 big guys to walk the neighborhood and get shot.

Ya know, I did not even think of praying them out, I am going to start praying like crazy. I will ask God to direct me with all the good suggestions. And if he wants me to leave -- then he will have to provide.

While I am praying, I wam going to see how to fight for more police....

Anyone else have these problems?

This is Athens Georgia

http://www.athensecolatino.com/v1n10/pandillas.html

This was good, but they seem to think the police will help

http://people.howstuffworks.com/street-gang3.htm

http://www.athensecolatino.com/v1n10/pandillas.html

http://www.dc.state.fl.us/pub/gangs/awareness.html

stand firm and win is what i advise but then again that is easy to say when one is not in the midst of it all

praying for you

Just because YOU are not in the midst of it all doesn't mean your suggestion is unreasonable.

I've not been in THAT particular situation, but I have been in situations where community/neighborhood organizing could and did make a major positive difference, caused the situation to change, that is.

Moving out of that neighborhood (Dot's) is premature and if THAT is the only reason, not a good idea.

IF Dot has other reasons to move out (like, someplace in particular wanting to go, because of whatever that place has to offer that Dot and family need/want) then fine. But to just give up and move out is to declare that you've lost.

And moving out just to escape can be hard to keep from prospective buyers... which then has a negative impact on property values.

IF and ONLY if the situation becomes completely helpless and hopeless would moving just to escape be the best choice.

But at this stage, it's not likely they are without the power to change their neighborhood for the better.

Dot,

There are a few alternatives to moving, but none are easy, unfortunately.

The first is to work to change your local government, either by organizing your neighbors and taking over the city council meetings and becoming a huge thorn in the side of all the politicians who do not help you, or by running for office yourself (or getting someone who lives in your neighborhood with the resources to run for office to do so.) The fact is that the government controls the police force, so unless the politicians have a reason to do something about the problem, they will not. They must either willingly help you because it is the right thing to do (and their jobs) or they must help you out of fear of having someone else elected to their job.

The second is to work to set up community outreach programs to prevent more youths from joining gangs and to help those who want to leave. Nobody is born into a gang mentality, it has to be learned. Most people join gangs because they are either missing something at home with their family or because they are scared and want other gang members on their side. Gangs are essentially a cult like TWI, but with a much more violent side. With your knowledge of how cults work, you may be able to have some insight into the psychology of gangs and find ways to stop them without a direct confrontation.

With all that being said, moving away is going to be the easiest solution. It sounds like the cops already gave up on your neighborhood, and perhaps the local government too. It takes a lot of hard work to change such things, and you have to evaluate if the fight is worth it or not for you.

P-Mosh, we've been over this territory already.

It sounds like you have pretty much accepted a defeatist perspective. That's unfortunate, because organizing neighborhoods/communities doesn't have to be overwhelmingly hard. In fact, the whole idea is to get others to join with you.

THEN it becomes a very rewarding endeavor from many angles.

P-Mosh, we've been over this territory already.

It sounds like you have pretty much accepted a defeatist perspective. That's unfortunate, because organizing neighborhoods/communities doesn't have to be overwhelmingly hard. In fact, the whole idea is to get others to join with you.

THEN it becomes a very rewarding endeavor from many angles.

If I were in her case I would fight back exactly how I stated above. However, I don't conflate what I consider to be my best decision in that situation with someone else's. It's simply not my call to make. There is a real risk with organizing and standing up to gangs. Paul Gailiunas and his deceased wife Helen Hill come to mind. If you recall, they are the couple who were prominent in rebuilding New Orleans and were later shot at their front door when they opened it in order to help someone. He was shot three times and survived to take care of his little girl. His wife died on the scene. Last I heard, he took his daughter and moved to Canada. All risks must be weighed when making those decisions.

I don't really know Dot's situation that well. As a result, I feel that we are more in a situation to offer suggestions, but nothing more.

I don't really know Dot's situation that well. As a result, I feel that we are more in a situation to offer suggestions, but nothing more.

P-Mosh, I hope you don't mind me proofing and correcting your text above. Clearly, YOU are an expert in what YOU can offer... but I'm thinking you haven't met most of us (and certainly not me), so, you apparently misspoke when you projected your SELF-expertise to apply your judgement to what others (including me) have experience from which to offer insights. (And YES, I'm being polite, but if necessary, that is, if I'm not being clear enough for you, I'd be happy to be more blunt, direct, and specific).

Mosh you are right all situations have to be weighed,

You said

There is a real risk with organizing and standing up to gangs. Paul Gailiunas and his deceased wife Helen Hill come to mind. If you recall, they are the couple who were prominent in rebuilding New Orleans and were later shot at their front door when they opened it in order to help someone. He was shot three times and survived to take care of his little girl. His wife died on the scene. Last I heard, he took his daughter and moved to Canada. All risks must be weighed when making those decisions.

That is horrible. Ya know, it sounds good to be brave and fight but it may not be wise. I'd hate to think we walked the neighborhood and lost people to bullets. It is not worth it. I am sure there are just as many situations where people took back the streets and nobody died. But I hate to think I had to go to a funeral when we just could have moved.

Years ago, I went to the movies. These young punks were smoking in the row in front of us. I leaned over and told them to, "stop it, you can't smoke in a theater!"

They pulled a knife on me. My husband and I left to find the manager. I went to the manager but he couldn't help. When we went back into the theater to point out the kids -- they had all moved and it was dark. Hubs and I sat down elsewhere, like idiots. The group, I dunno maybe 7 of them, went to the front of the theater and looked row by row for me.

I took off my glasses and pulled my hair back so my silhouette would look different. It was a difficult situation. We left, got in the car and drove around rather than straight home incase they were following us.

And yes Rocky, it feels premature, but houses will dive bomb in the market with gang writing and a bad reputation as well. There is so much to have to think about. I keep thinking maybe THEY will move out. I am going to pray like crazy.

It is like 6 of one and half a dozen of the other... ya know...

Edited by Dot Matrix

P-Mosh, I hope you don't mind me proofing and correcting your text above. Clearly, YOU are an expert in what YOU can offer... but I'm thinking you haven't met most of us (and certainly not me), so, you apparently misspoke when you projected your SELF-expertise to apply your judgement to what others (including me) have experience from which to offer insights. (And YES, I'm being polite, but if necessary, that is, if I'm not being clear enough for you, I'd be happy to be more blunt, direct, and specific).

Unless you have been to her neighborhood and know her situation precisely, you are not in any more of a position to give her specifics on what she should do than me. The gangs in Arizona are not the same as the ones in Georgia for the most part. Having lived in both places (although I was in Atlanta rather than Athens), I have seen that many things are different. I think that anyone who has not been to her neighborhood is incapable of offering specific, actionable advice. Making decisions for Dot without much information is just as valid as Bill Frist's "medical diagnosis" of Terri Schiavo.

Also, I believe Dot is probably about my mother's age, and I would not tell my mom to stand up to gangs. If something bad were to happen I would feel guilty for my part in suggesting actions that led to disaster.

Dot, I shared your story with some of my coworkers who have or are living in neighborhoods with gangs. One of the women asked me to tell you that if you need to report something to the police, to do it anonymously. She said the last thing you need is to have them see the police at your door, and then have them get into trouble.

We're all praying for you here.