GreaseSpot Cafe

Looking for some classical music

Cowgirl

I once heard some classical music that had harp playing that stood out to me .... could be that I'm not used to hearing it in classical music. Are there any particular pieces that feature harps? I have no idea what it was and haven't been able to find anything that comes close to it in my searches since hearing it.

Chas.------MIDI stands for M.usical I.nstrument D.igital I.nterface.

Wikipedia has a bunch of stuff on it.

Belle--------Are you referrring to the stringed instrument called a harp or the wind instrument, harmonica, which is often referred to as a harp?

Stringed, Waysider. And I have no way of even describing the music I heard.... which is a story in and of itself. :)

I've also got a piece I can hear in my head that I would LOVE to find... separate from the "harp" music. The only information I have on it is that it's one of these pieces:

- Overture in B flat - Caesar Giovannini

- Masque - Francis McBeth

- Emperata Overture - Claude T Smith

The piece is eerily reminiscent of a Shostakovitch piece.

I know what MIDI sounds like, but what does *MIDI* mean?

Musical Instrument Digital Interface

A MIDI can be used to control a synthesizer, like the one in your computer, but it can also be used to control digital musical instruments and can be used to record what is made on those digital instruments.

Belle,

Re:"I once heard some classical music that had harp playing that stood out to me .... could be that I'm not used to hearing it in classical music. Are there any particular pieces that feature harps?"

What if I told you I had a harp piece that would flabbergast you? You're probably thinking that, yeah, it might flabbergast 'ole Sudo but it wouldn't flabbergast Ms. Belle. And you could be right.. I've posted songs before that I just *KNEW* everyone would love and was very wrong.

Re:"I've also got a piece I can hear in my head that I would LOVE to find..."

Could you hum a few bars for me?? Hee-hee! Actually, if you know how to use your Sound Recorder and have a microphone, you could actually do that and e-mail it to me. I went through Ole Miss on a band scholarship and know a lot of classical music.

sudo

I once heard some classical music that had harp playing that stood out to me .... could be that I'm not used to hearing it in classical music. Are there any particular pieces that feature harps? I have no idea what it was and haven't been able to find anything that comes close to it in my searches since hearing it.

Belle

I can recommend a couple of my favorites:

Claude Debussy, Danses Sacree et Profane, for Chromatic Harp and String Orch.,

of which you can hear some samples on a compilation available at Amazon.

At least that's the version I still have on vinyl.

The other piece is far less known, by the American composer Virgil Thomson -

Autumn ( Concertino for Harp, Strings & Percussion) .

The version I have is an out-of-print EMI cd from 1986, the Los Angeles Chamber

Orchestra conducted by Neville Marriner (Anne Stockton, harp).

This disc also presents Thomson's other signature Americana pieces "The Plow that Broke the Plains" ( music also featured

in the soundtrack of that 80s scary nuke movie, "The Day After") and "The River", but there's little harp in those.

Danny

Very curious! I just haven't been online to ask yet. :wink2: No good excuse like an awesome concert, though, just not online. Not sure if I have a way to record my tone deafness, in which case it might not help at all, but will talk to the resident experts at work about how to do that.

I'm also excited to look into Danny's suggestions. Thank you!!

Belle,

Sit back. Prepare to be entertained. Turn up the volume on your speakers as this selection is quiet and listen to a virtuoso who was mainly known as a clown. I've heard a lot of harp players but *NONE* who could perform like this. Harpo had no formal lessons so he played the harp in an unorthodox manner. Unorthodox indeed as he had college professors at his feet trying to understand how he could do what they *couldn't* do.. and that was.. play the harp like a dang piano!!!

Which reminds me.. have you ever heard of Chico??

sudo (who TOLD you he had something special for you!)

Mstar,

Re:"I was thinking of that piece, thanks for posting that!"

That's because you are a fan like myself. However this was mainly for Belle who seems to have abandoned us down here. Did you like it Mstar?? I found it phenomenal, myself. And did I mention I have some stuff by a guy named Chico?? :)

sudo

Belle,

You're welcome, my dear. Were you impressed? Minnie's boys were very talented and I have something or two from Chico. How-some-ever.. I realize musical tastes vary. Personally?? I've heard a lot of harpists and they all do lots of strumming but I've never before (or afterward) heard a harpist who could play it note for note like most musical instruments.

sudo