GreaseSpot Cafe

Spirit, Soul and Body

Son of the Master, you said...

I think everyone here has tremendous insight. More importantly than trying to prove who is doctrinally correct, I see hungry hearts genuinely engaged in sharing about Godly things. I am touched by that.

So is God. It's funny that God made some things in his word so clear, and some things not so clear. God loves to see his people who have genuine hearts seeking, questioning, and reasoning among themselves the many multi-layered, hidden meanings of his masterpiece.

God says that people who love to talk about God and honor his name have their names written on the scroll of rememberence. (Mal. 3:16)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Usages of the "spirit of man"

The spirit of man is a lamp unto the Lord. Prov. 20:27

Who knows the spirit of man which goes upward... Ecclesiastes 3:21

With my soul have I desired thee in the night, yea, with my spirit within me, I will seek thee early...Isaiah 26:9

The burden of the word of Jehovah for Israel, saith Jehovah, which stretcheth forth the heavens, and layeth the foundation of the earth,

and formeth the spirit of man within him. Zechariah 12:1

And her spirit came again, and she arose straightway: And he commanded to give her meat. Luke 8:55

And they stoned Stephen, calling upon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit. Acts 7:59

For God is my witness, whom I serve with my spirit in the gospel of His Son...Romans 1:9

And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; I pray God your whole spirit, soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of

our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. I Thessalonians 5:23

Hebrews 4:12 OK, who doesnt know this by memory!

But there is a spirit in man, and the breath of the Almighty gives him understanding. Job 32:8

There are more verses.

My point to this whole thread is that man is a three part being and not "dualistic".

"Man is a spirit being, possessing a soul and living in a body.

When man is born again, The Holy Spirit enters our spirit and dwells there. We are not just body and soul and God's Spirit becomes our Spirit. It is HIS Spirit.

Man and God "interface spirit to spirit. Revelation is spiritual information. Spiritual information does not go to the mind. It bypasses the mind and goes directly to your spirit. That enables a person to walk by the spirit without the stupid mind messing it up. We are not walking by the spirit when the mind is involved. We do draw from information in the mind but the mind is not the source of revelation. Your mind does learn but the interaction with God is spirit to spirit.

It is late.

Edited by Son of the Master

I think everyone here has tremendous insight. More importantly than trying to prove who is doctrinally correct, I see hungry hearts genuinely engaged in sharing about Godly things. I am touched by that. My hunger was ripped out of me after POP and CG clergy meeting. It took me YEARS to get back a hunger for God. I saw friends go down, give up and fade away. Because I was tore up, I sat back and watched Satan divide a body of the greatest teachers and servants of the Lord I ever knew. I saw my best friends turn against me because we didnt believe the same doctrine. Remember someone said, "I have no friends when it comes to the Word?" I thought, "they have no Word when it comes to their friends". What happened to the unconditional love of God. We may not believe some of the same things, we do agree on a majority of the Word. At least we could still pray like minded prayers. Despite doctrinal differences, we still have the ability to reach a lost and dying world...together. I lost track of my closest friends. Some I havent seen in twenty years. One is still in TWI. Knowing this man's heart like I did, it is still beyond my comprehension why he remains.

My prayer for all in GSC is, "may the Holy Spirit re-ignite the flame of passion for God our Father and His Son Jesus Christ. Instill a HUNGER in us again and HEAL OUR HEARTS. Hearts be healed in the name of Jesus Christ.

May we rise up again as a body of teachers and servants boldly proclaiming that Jesus is the Lord.

The harvest is plenteous and the laborers are few.

Lord, let us once again get in the spiritual battle and raise up a HUNGRY generation who will stand on the Word of God".

Love to you all.

That was beautiful.

I know the pain of the loss of friends as well, so do many of us.

Thanks

...Revelation is spiritual information. Spiritual information does not go to the mind. It bypasses the mind and goes directly to your spirit. That enables a person to walk by the spirit without the stupid mind messing it up. We are not walking by the spirit when the mind is involved. We do draw from information in the mind but the mind is not the source of revelation. Your mind does learn but the interaction with God is spirit to spirit...

That is what VPW taught. Typical reasoning in lot of his doctrine was based on grand assumptions – like this one – he labeled it "the Great Principle." There are no scriptural references that document this process. You may want to read the threads below where the Great Principle, walking by the Spirit and revelation are discussed:

Word Wolf’s post # 17 on The Great Principle thread

http://www.greasespotcafe.com/ipb/index.ph...st&p=308024

Decision-making and the will of God thread

http://www.greasespotcafe.com/ipb/index.ph...st&p=310314

You've expressed a wonderful sentiment in post # 25 – looking past doctrinal differences to the bigger things like love - I'm for that! And I was reminded of the turmoil I went through after leaving TWI…What you're experiencing at GSC is one of the biggest reasons I come here – the power of other viewpoints. Many of us here bought into the whole package of TWI beliefs – starting off with a big one – "you can't go beyond what you're taught." TWI instills in followers a fear of the unknown and fosters a debilitating thinking process that erodes self-confidence: Everything you need to know about God and life are explained in their doctrines – and considering other doctrines or viewpoints is not safe – you're asking for trouble – your faith is gonna shipwreck!

GSC is a wonderful place to explore your own faith and the beliefs of others. I think if one is secure in their core of beliefs and respects the viewpoints of others - there is a great opportunity for everyone to be affected in a positive way.

Edited by T-Bone

Let me try to re-explain the "revelation" aspect of what I said in my last thread. What I was trying to say is not the same as the great principle (gp).

The GP, to me is like a formula for the revelatory process which occurs rapidly. In the span of time, revelation can come very rapidly and one must be very locked in to get it. The gp does include the involvement of the mind.

What I explained is that revelation (spiritual information) comes from God to your spirit. It BYPASSES the mind.

For instance, when I minister to people, I am "in the spirit". I do not engage the mind. the revelation goes from spirit to mouth. I speak the revelation out without thinking about it. Thats why I love to SIT out loud so much. It cleans out the mind and gets us out of the flesh and into the spirit so we can minister effectively and see people delivered and healed. I teach a class on "how to minister healing". A large portion of the class is spent on revelation. The success of our lives hinges on what we do with the word of knowledge and the word of wisdom and discerning of spirits. God speaks to us more than we know. :offtopic::offtopic:

The catalyst is the Love of God.

That is for another thread.

Later, I want to continue on from my last thread and discuss the usages of the spirit of man I typed earlier.

You claim what you're saying is different from the Great Principle – but your assumptions are the same thing only worded a little differently…You really need to read Word Wolf's post # 17 on the Great Principle thread [see the link I provided in previous post]. You have the same contradictory assumptions that VPW did – that the spirit bypasses the mind yet works through it. He asserted God is spirit and can only communicate to what He is which is spirit – the premise of the great principle is based on contradictory ideas – God can only talk to spirit but your spirit can talk to your mind. What's wrong with God's Spirit? Can't He speak for Himself? Why does He need a middleman? There's something wrong with this picture...

If I remember it right the Great Principle states that God's Spirit teaches His creation in you which is now your spirit, and your spirit teaches your mind. Then it becomes manifested in the senses realm as you act…Now you're claiming the spirit bypasses your mind – yet if you perform ANY function of physical activity – like speaking words in a "tongue" or praying over someone, laying on of hands, etc., you are engaging the parts of your brain that govern muscle motor skills, neural networks providing feedback to the brain for correct lips and tongue configurations, hand/eye coordination for proper placement of hands during ministering, sensitivity to amount of pressure applied to the person when laying on hands…that's just a few of the intricate processes that happen at breakneck speed…So how is the brain bypassed in all that? Are you possessed when you – I mean – the spirit does these things?

Edited by T-Bone

Without understanding what the mind is how does one know it's bypassed?

So what is the mind?

"With my body I contact the physical realm. With my spirit I contact the spiritual realm

and with my soul I contact the intellectual realm". Kenneth Hagin

I Corinthians 14:14 says, For if I pray in an unknown tongue my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful (unproductive)...

The soul is your mind, abilities, emotions, intellect

James 1:21....and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls.

Psalm 23:3 He restoreth my soul...

Our souls get saved by renewing our minds. Romans 12:1,2 The renewed mind has nothing to do with the spirit. We were mistakenly taught to try to be spiritual with a verse that was designed to focus our minds on the Word in order to conduct ourselves scripturally and not according to fleshly desires. Soul is soul and spirit is spirit.

The greek word psuche is a common word for soul and pneuma[] is a common word for spirit. There are other words and meanings for both.

I spent years in the spiritual wilderness, learned through private prayer time and ministering to literally hundreds of others, how to bypass my mind and walk out on revelation. It is always a work in progress. The more you do it the better you get.

To know how to bypass the mind one must understand the different ways revelation comes to your spirit.

The Spirit doesn't have intellectual abilities?

James 1:21....and receive with meekness the en grafted word, which is able to save your souls.

Psalm 23:3 He restoreth my soul...

Our souls get saved by renewing our minds. Romans 12:1,2 The renewed mind has nothing to do with the spirit. We were mistakenly taught to try to be spiritual with a verse that was designed to focus our minds on the Word in order to conduct ourselves scripturally and not according to fleshly desires. Soul is soul and spirit is spirit.

The greek word psuche is a common word for soul and pneuma[] is a common word for spirit. There are other words and meanings for both.

You are quoting two verses that says it's the Word and 'He' that saves us then you go on about renewing the mind does the saving.

Our souls get saved by renewing our minds.
I don't agree with this here, though renewing the mind is a good thing.

Mostly it has been taught to be discipline or focusing on one thing or another.

Which is required when there is a need.

But I'd say it's mostly letting go, and stop fighting the spirit that is within every person.

Soul is soul and spirit is spirit.

What is the difference?

How are they the same?

You can't 'see' either one of them.

They are both invisible.

How can one tell the difference between the two if they are not the same?

"With my body I contact the physical realm. With my spirit I contact the spiritual realm

and with my soul I contact the intellectual realm". Kenneth Hagin...

...I spent years in the spiritual wilderness, learned through private prayer time and ministering to literally hundreds of others, how to bypass my mind and walk out on revelation. It is always a work in progress. The more you do it the better you get.

To know how to bypass the mind one must understand the different ways revelation comes to your spirit.

I don't mean to give you a hard time on this - just would like to ask - chapter and verse please? This is the doctrinal forum.

Edited by T-Bone

My question is, if soul and spirit are the same and there is no difference, then why all the verses with soul and spirit, and why different hebrew and greek words for each?

Hebrews 4:12...dividing asunder soul and spirit... If they are the same how can they be divided?

spirit is the part of man that deals with the spiritual realm. It is this part that knows God

soul is the part that deals with the mental realm. Mans intellect and will and emotions. This part reasons and thinks.

body is the part of man that deals with the physical realm (obviously)

I Corinthians 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not (does not understand) the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them because they are spiritually discerned (understood).

T- perhaps we should spend some time and pray together and I will show you. Speaking in tongues bypasses the mind. That is the foundation of "the 9".

One does not interpret or prophecy with the mind... It is spirit to mouth, spiritual utterance. It is all spiritual operations not mental excercise.

That is true "Post 37". There are parallelisms (synonyms)in verses in the bible. There are different words in verses that mean the same thing but not in spirit, soul and body verses. "Psuche" and "pneuma" in the greek are in the same verses and are not related or have the same meaning.

Well, I don't worship the greek text.

I move on inspiration or revelation or intuition.

Whatever one wants to call it.

Dividing things up is division.

Unless one understands "One' as Jesus spoke of.

So yes The Word is a double edged sword dividing soul and spirit.

Ever wonder why?

And why can they not be one as the manifestations are one as in manifestation.

It's all of them together. Divided up in Corinthians to help people see the 'One'.

One and selfsame Spirit does not exclude the soul. Without the soul there wouldn't be any spirit.

9 does not equal 1. The verse doesnt say "one and selfsame soul". Please explain or start a new thread on "one". I dont have a clue how you are associating "one" with the topic of S,Sand B. Please teach me.

Signed, Worshipper of the Greek text (sarcasm)

What if the spirit of man and the spirit of God got together and became one?

Wouldn't it happen 'in the air'? That's in us and around us?

Would that be manifesting the Spirit?

When Jesus said in 'like manner' did he not disappear into the air?

Acts 1:11 Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.

Acts 2:2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. 3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. 4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

And those that heard, didn't they interpret these tongues?

The spirit of man and the manifestation of spirit?

No connection yet?

The mind is certainly involved because this is where it all happens.

Transformed into-is not just a change of mind but a total change that keeps going.

Most want 'it' to happen outside of themselves. But it involves each person personally and uniquely.

I don't have any scriptures to back this but then again I'm not saying anybody should blindly accept it.

Here's my take on it. All three are mixed together like a marble cake. Throw in heart and soul too if you like. It might just jazz up the recipe. Now if a marble cake is baked correctly, no one flavor will out balance the other. With the new birth, however, the spirit takes on a place of dominance and becomes more pronounced than the other ingredients.( kinda like cream rising to the top in raw milk)

That's just the way I see it. I could be way off base

Dang, that made me hungry!

I don't have any scriptures to back this but then again I'm not saying anybody should blindly accept it.

Here's my take on it. All three are mixed together like a marble cake. Throw in heart and soul too if you like. It might just jazz up the recipe. Now if a marble cake is baked correctly, no one flavor will out balance the other. With the new birth, however, the spirit takes on a place of dominance and becomes more pronounced than the other ingredients.( kinda like cream rising to the top in raw milk)

That's just the way I see it. I could be way off base

Dang, that made me hungry!

Hmmmm!

I said "Throw in heart and soul" but I meant to say "heart and mind".

Maybe I should have posted that in "Name That Tune". :blink:

My question is, if soul and spirit are the same and there is no difference, then why all the verses with soul and spirit, and why different hebrew and greek words for each?

Hebrews 4:12...dividing asunder soul and spirit... If they are the same how can they be divided?

spirit is the part of man that deals with the spiritual realm. It is this part that knows God

soul is the part that deals with the mental realm. Mans intellect and will and emotions. This part reasons and thinks.

body is the part of man that deals with the physical realm (obviously)

I Corinthians 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not (does not understand) the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them because they are spiritually discerned (understood).

T- perhaps we should spend some time and pray together and I will show you. Speaking in tongues bypasses the mind. That is the foundation of "the 9".

One does not interpret or prophecy with the mind... It is spirit to mouth, spiritual utterance. It is all spiritual operations not mental excercise.

Why are there different words for heart, soul and mind in Matthew 22:37? I never spoke of soul and spirit as being the same thing – but different aspects of the same being.

In I Corinthians 2:14 you are inserting words that are not justified by the Greek Text. “The natural man receives not…” “receives” is dechomai – in the Greek Text – basic meaning “welcomes”. And “discerned” in the Greek Text is anakrino – and means examined or judged [a few of the 16 occurrences are: Luke 23:14; Acts 4:9; and most notably Acts 17:11…searched the Scriptures daily”]. The verse as well as the whole context is talking about the unsaved do not welcome the wisdom of God concerning salvation – but God has revealed these things to us – and it is by Scripture and the Holy Spirit’s illumination of Scripture we are able to discern. I don’t see how you’re justified in saying receives = understands and discerned = understood. No where in this chapter does it talk about the spirit bypassing the mind.

Seriously – how are you going to show me that speaking in tongues bypasses the mind? Will you be using an S-Ray Machine [spirit-Ray Machine] [bet you thought that was Ricky Ricardo asking for an X-Ray Machine] – that will render the spiritual world visible? And frankly, I begin doubting someone when they start re-defining words in the Bible – just to suit their theology. You’ve already lost credibility in my book by not providing scriptural documentation for this idea of the spirit bypassing the mind.

and with my soul I contact the intellectual realm". Kenneth Hagin

:unsure:

now that quote just gave me the heebeegeebees

sorry Son of the Master.

I dig some of what you say, and I can tell you have a good heart.

but , I feel the same way about Kenneth Hagin, as I do , VPW or LCM. I RUN~

Lets stick to scripture, and not quotes from false prophets.

Seriously – how are you going to show me that speaking in tongues bypasses the mind? You’ve already lost credibility in my book by not providing scriptural documentation for this idea of the spirit bypassing the mind.

I Corinthians 14:14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful.