GreaseSpot Cafe

Nico busted her leg...AGAIN!

RottieGrrrl

Well, I was all set to take Nico to the dog/people camp Memorial Day weekend. I had put down a 100 dollar deposit on it, in JANUARY!!! That's how quick the camp fills up. We had our own room in a lodge, and I had just taken her to the vet a week ago last Saturday, to get her up to dates on all her shots and heartworm, and flea/tick prevention, and get a vets release for the camp, and then I paid the balance of the 525 dollars for the camp.

Then just last Saturday I have her at the dog park to try to get her into shape after a long lazy winter and she sees this young boxer that she had met just the Saturday before in the vets waiting room and was playing with. She RECOGNIZES this dang dog from half a mile off, and RUUUUUNS over to play with her.

She is a big stocky dog and thinks she can keep up with a young agile dog, and 15 minutes later, BOOM. She busts her right rear leg. She did this 2 years ago last February with her left leg, playing with another young bouncy boxer!

So another 3000 dollar operation (this is the CHEAPER operation!) and Dog Camp is out. I'm afraid to let her play with other dogs ever again!

I'm so disappointed I could spit.

I had mutts all my life and never spent money like this.

But I love her, what am I supposed to do?

If I couldn't afford it I guess I would let her try to heal as best she could on her own, but damn.

I'm just venting now. I was really upset before, but now I'm calming down.

Of course it's better it happened here than at the dog camp. That would have been a nightmare, and I wouldn't get any money back. The leg was probably going to blow at any time, and now at least like the surgeon said after this one heals, there is a minimal risk of either one ever blowing again.

I GUESS THAT'S THE BRIGHT SIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :realmad::rolleyes:

Sorry to hear that Rottie. It just seems odd that a large dog (who probably has large bones) breaks a leg from romping around. I realize that she probably doesn't have the same agility as a smaller dog, but two breaks? Makes me go hmmmmm.

(((((NICO and ROTTIE)))))

Actually it's not uncommon at all. There are certain breeds that are more prone to this than others, and after one breaks there is a greater probability than not, that the other one will go. It's really not a break, I should clairify, it's more like a torn ligament I guess, or a blown knee? I don't have the vet stuff in front of me.

Of course, even if somebody had told me that this might happen when I got a rott, your always thinking, Not to me it wont. And she is a well bred dog too. No hip problems whatsover.

When they originally told me the other leg might go out after the first operation, I was thinking, not to me it won't.

Now I find out if it DOESN'T happen you are in the minority!

Edited by RottieGrrrl

Dang Rottie I'm sorry what a let down for you. Our Golden blew out her leg a while back jumping out of the minivan to chase a squirrel so I know just how fast that can happen. That seems a bit high to fix the leg though I think it was about $1200.00 to reattach the ligament and pin the leg. We had it done at K-State regional vet hospital.

1200 bucks, geez that's a HUGE difference! This is about the same cost as the last leg at a different animal hospital, so perhaps this is a different type of operation or just a regional difference. Sorry about your golden! How long ago did it happen and how is the other leg?

Jumping out to chase a squirrel. Sigh. These dogs are as much trouble as kids I think. :rolleyes:

Edited by RottieGrrrl

How's Nico doing, Rottie? How long will she have to stay at the vet's?

Poor baby. My pooches send her some smooches! :love3:

Thanks Linda! I'm still taking her to work with me. The surgeon told me I can. She is noticably different though. Maybe a combonation of her injury and the Rimadyl she's on. She's not being a pain in the butt like she usually is, she is just lying around.

I drop her off next Wednesday at 7am and pick her up the next day between 11am and 5pm. The Dr. said she may be able to go back to work with me within days as long as I moniter her activity.

but the surgeon just called me yesterday and said her blood work looks great, she's ready to go, and not to worry, she will be back to her old snotty self in no time.

Just like kids, you get mad at them for misbehaving, but when they get sick and are just lying around, you long for the days that they cause you trouble!

Edited by RottieGrrrl

Wow

She is lucky you are her MOM!!!

Thanks Dot, but this is the big reason I don't want more than one dog. You just don't know what will happen. If I didn't have the money I would just have to leave her as is and hope for healing as best as it could.

Geez, with the money I've spent on both her legs I could have had a boob job!

I feel your pain. One of my employees just went through a $3000 operation on his dog. Here's to a quick recovery, both to you and the dog.

Jim thanks! I am learning more and more that many others have gone through this (and worse!)

WD: I've looked into pet insurance but at her age with 2 operations under the belt already, I'm sure there would be all sorts of "small writing" excluding her from stuff they know would be particular to her situation. It's probably best to get it while they are still pups. The thing is, when she was younger I was struggling a lot more and I couldn't have health insurance for myself, much less buying it for her! Plus I never in my wildest dreams though I would end up spending this much money!

But many moons from now, (Nico will live a long life) I will take that into consideration. ;)

It may be cheaper than you think I'd guess you will be in the $25.00 - $30.00 per month bracket you can get an quote at the online site. You are right about getting it young as they will write out preexisting conditions. I just had some dental work done on Lucca and I'm already ahead for the year in what I pay. and it's only April.

I think Nico will be fine. She's still a young dog! Our blind, deaf, 16-year-old cocker spaniel wandered under a truck tire last summer while my husband was backing out of the garage and got a broke leg and dislocated ankle out of it. He was in a cast most of the summer, but is fine now. He learned to hate (a) his crate, (b) the baby gate I keep both dogs penned in the laundry room with, and © going outside for more than a few necessary minutes. He actually learned to climb the baby gate while he had his cast on, much to the vet's dismay and mine. Hence, the hated crate. But he doesn't even limp.

Bless Nico's heart and yours. My guess is she's probably lying around because she's smart and knows that is what's best.

WG

I am sorry about Nico. Gosh, I never heard about Dog/people camp. What a marvelous idea.

Since it is already paid for....can you go hang around the lodge and just take it easy?

The only up side to this is something that she can recover from.

There isn`t anything that I wouldn`t give for just one more day with my dog.

Edited by rascal

There isn`t anything that I wouldn`t give for just one more day with my dog.

Aww, I'm going to try to remember that when I start b***ing about how expensive this operation is!

Nico isn't the type to want to take it easy. That's what keeps getting her in trouble. She acts like 130 lbs freaking out of control freight train when she's around other dogs and wants to play. And trying to stop her from playing is like trying to stop a 130 lbs freight train.

Besides, I kind of need the refund (minus the deposit) I'm getting back to put towards the operation. I'm just thinking God will make it up to me somehow! :)

Edited by RottieGrrrl

We don't call that cocker spaniel Maxx the Wonder Dog for nuthin'! He has learned to navigate by following the walls, inside and out. Any trip to the middle of the room can net him a banged nose as he collides with furniture. He sleeps on the bed every night, to my husband's dismay, but does a great job of keeping my feet warm. Now that I'm retired, when I run errands or go shopping, I take him with me in the car. He has a little crib comforter with baby Mickey and Minnie all over it that I cover him up with so he'll keep warm. We have his leash in case he needs to go potty. He can find is way from the back seat to the front with relative ease.

It's amazing how easily dogs become a part of our lives. As irritating as Maxx can be sometimes (he's easy to trip over), that sigh of comfort he makes when he plunks his head in my lap as we watch TV at night says it all.

WG

We don't call that cocker spaniel Maxx the Wonder Dog for nuthin'! He has learned to navigate by following the walls, inside and out. Any trip to the middle of the room can net him a banged nose as he collides with furniture. He sleeps on the bed every night, to my husband's dismay, but does a great job of keeping my feet warm. Now that I'm retired, when I run errands or go shopping, I take him with me in the car. He has a little crib comforter with baby Mickey and Minnie all over it that I cover him up with so he'll keep warm. We have his leash in case he needs to go potty. He can find is way from the back seat to the front with relative ease.

It's amazing how easily dogs become a part of our lives. As irritating as Maxx can be sometimes (he's easy to trip over), that sigh of comfort he makes when he plunks his head in my lap as we watch TV at night says it all.

WG

I hear ya!

:love3::love3::love3::love3::love3::love3::love3::love3:

What's funny about Nico is yesterday at work after I gave her the dose of Rimadyl, she gets real affectionate and sweet with me. And I was telling our computer guy who was sitting there, this is NOT HER! She's not this affectionate with me usually, (she is with everyone else though) with me she's a SNOT. Bob, our computer guy, knew what I meant.

With me, she steals socks and tissues and makes me chase her until I give her a treat, she growls at me when she doesn't want to do something, she gives me snotty looks all day, and I MISS MY LITTLE SNOT!!!!

I WANT MY SNOT BACK!!!

But I know once she's feeling better she'll be back to her old snotty self in no time. :)

LOL! Vixen is NOT a lap dog by any stretch of the imagination. When she wants to cuddle up in my lap, I know something's wrong. :biglaugh: She does give face licks and wiggle butt dances around you freely, though. She rolls on her back and "dances" while you scratch her butt and tummy. But ask her to be still? No way, Jose!

How's Nico doing?

Belle, thanks for asking. :) Nico is a grumpy patient. She is all stapled up and she has Fentanyl patches on her. The vet warned me (I guess they warn everyone) not to try to use the patch on myself after Nico is done with it.

Hmmm, I dunno, I get cramps once a month that patch may come in handy. ;)

Anyway, she needs a lot of attention, is groaning because she is uncomfortable, is mad at me because I don't take her everywhere with me for right now, and is generally being kind of a pain in the butt.!

And that is a good sign.

She is recovering. She will be my little snot in no time at all.

Our God is a Good God!

Anyway, she needs a lot of attention, is groaning because she is uncomfortable, is mad at me because I don't take her everywhere with me for right now, and is generally being kind of a pain in the butt.!

And that is a good sign.

She is recovering. She will be my little snot in no time at all.

Our God is a Good God!

:biglaugh: I nearly cried the first time Vixen hurt her back and the vet told me to "keep her quiet". He had to be demented.

Rescue Remedy is like doggie valium and it did help a little. But, yah, I know those "you're pure evil, Mom" looks and the guilt trips for crate confinement. Glad Nico is getting back to regular snot status, even if it is ever so slowly. How long did the vet say he expected it to be?