GreaseSpot Cafe

Mrs. Wierwille's Poodle

J0nny Ling0

Sorry, but I can't "chill" cause it really ticks me off. After making all these comments about the people she lives around, she points out that she is a minority. So it's OK for a minority to disparage rural southern people, but NOT OK for rural southerners to do the same to other racial groups?

Look at what she said in this light:

In regards to where she lives, she said:

Somewhere in the bowels of the Midwest... In a small town... On the banks of a big river that starts with Miss and ends in "i"... Where they still fly Rebel flags and hate people who speak proper English (many think it should be called "Amercan" - not A-mer-i-can, they shorten the syllables up around here.)
Now suppose a white person moved to a poor inner city area and said:

"Man, this place is just full of black dudes that wear their pants halfway down their but. Listen to them, they can't even speak proper english! You just KNOW they're all crack heads and would just as soon shoot a white person as look at them!"

Wouldn't that sound racist?

A place where 95% of the population is white, 2% Hispanic, and 2% black and 1% are a mix... Where inbreeding is so common, that people around here have to get their geneology checked before they get married (seriously. I'm not joking about this.) In this town there are only about 7 last names, ours included...

That one is so freaking insulting, I'm gonna leave it alone.

Anyway, I've made my point. And if JavaJane can't own up to it and wants to remain a racist bigot, she is entitled. I have no more to say to or about her.

Rick

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been in a couple towns like Jane describes. I'd portray them exactly the same way. I'm white. Does that make me a bigot?

Back to Mrs. W's little dog...I seem to recall seeing it running around on the asphalt area behind the Wierwille house at a dance or cookout or something in the mid-80s when I was on staff. Anyone else remember seeing it then?

:offtopic: (sorta - it's not about the dang poodle...)

Rick -

Okay. I understand what you're saying and I'm not saying this to "defend" anyone but really... I respect you Rick, you know that, but I think you're getting heated over something that's pretty widely accepted because it's always in our media...

Let's look at how rural southerners are portrayed -

We all LOVE Larry the Cable Guy and Jeff Foxworthy - they have this redneck, corn-fed white-boy schitch down to an art form.

Do you have a problem with them? What about what they say about the rural south, trailer parks, dating cousins, and the like?

I've lived down south most of my adult life - I felt like I knew those guys - the Bubbas of the world - and could relate to them.

It was satire - it made fun of some true situations in life - things people could relate to or identify with. But do you consider that bigotry?

There's Black commedians - Bill Cosby, Eddie Murphy, etc., who poke fun at their own race - that's acceptable. No one (as far as I know) calls them a bigot.

So, why is it bigotry when a white person comments on the white majority in their area or cracks a joke about it?

Edited by ChasUFarley

Shucks -- I LOVE banjo jokes and the meaner the better.

AND ------ I pick banjo! :)

Q.) What's the difference between a banjo and a trampoline??

A.) You take off your shoes when you jump on a trampoline.

Q.) What's the difference between a banjo and an onion?

A.) No one cries when you cut up a banjo.

Q.) What's the difference between a banjo picker, and an IRA??

A.) The IRA eventually matures, and actually earns some money.

Q.) What's the difference between a banjo picker and a photograph??

A.) The photograph is fully developed.

Q.) Push a banjo picker and his banjo off a 10 story building. Which hits the ground first??

A.) WHO CARES!!

:biglaugh:

(In a LAME attempt at keeping this on topic ----)

Q.) If dmiller was playing an in tune banjo, and a poodle was playing an out of tune banjo, who was better?

A.) The poodle. There is no such thing as an in tune banjo!

:dance:

I'm sorry, Bluzeman, I really thought you were just jokng about the bigot thing, I didn't mean to come off that way at all. I was just joking about it.

Just as a reply to all the bigot stuff... for the record, I am the WHITE half of a BIRACIAL MARRIAGE... And have lived in inner cities surrounded by blacks, hispanics, and asians...

I was also raised in a small town of about 500 or so people that was predominantly white with a few native americans. I can skin a deer, pluck chickens, ride horses bareback, go barefoot most of the time. I also grow my own garden in my backyard and one of my best friends in this town is a self-professed redneck who competes in tractor pull races and couldn't make it into work on Friday because she was chasing her son's sheep that had broken down the fence.

I was just poking fun at the people in this town, no specific races in mind...

And as for the "inbreeding" comment - people at my work have married people who have the same last names they do (things like Bornsketter and Hossfelt) - they DID check records before they got married and found out they were related by marriage only - they each had one half of set of great-grandparents in a situation where one was a widower and one was a widow... Got married after they already had kids from the previous marriage... Not REALLY inbreeding, but darn close. We joke about it at work all the time. They all tell me they know I'm not from here because I'm not related to anyone who works there.

You can call me a bigot if you want. I'm sorry that you feel that way. I really didn't mean it like that.

*edited for grammar

Edited by JavaJane

JavaJane, I am sorry, but your 2 posts after that made it sound as though you were in the "5% minority".

Why does that make a difference? Just as a black person can call another black person the "N" word and it's considered a term of endearment. But if a white person calls a black person the "N" word, it's a racial epithet. That is how it sounded...as though you were a minority trash-talking about the "inbred hicks" or whatever.

And yes, I"m a little sensitive about this issue because it seems that almost every day, someone is all over the news for saying something derogatory about some group or other. Yet words like Cracker, Gringo, Hick, Redneck and etc. get used all the time and no one thinks a thing about it.

And Chaz...I understand the laughing at yourself kind of thing. I can tell you some of the best hillbilly jokes around, but since a lot of my family lives in very poor rural areas (Southern Ohio and Kentucky) it's not done in a mean way. Because of what she posted, I thought JJ was a minority and was saying things in a derogatory way.

So even though I stand by the issue that I brought up, I am sorry that I assumed from your posts that you were a minority that was being insulting to rural southerners.

Rick

Heyy!! I've been away for five days! Went on a cruise up to Haines Alaska where we had our annual "Brew Fest", and also I got to jam the night away two nights straight with a band called, and get this....."The Poodles"! Yeah, it was hot! The lead guitarist's name was "Curly". And well, really, it was just me and my mullet headed friend Luckey Walker www.luckeywalker.com who is an awesome keyboard blues player. And, it was grand! And, I met a one legged woman from Hollywood who knows all of the stars and who told me that Nick Nolte tried to take her home for a "zesty session" when she was only seventeen! Damn that Nick Nolte. Tryin to pick up a one legged teenager for sex. But, she told him to "bugger off" and that her dad would cut his pee pee off if he knew what he'd tried. And after that she and Mr. Nolte became great friends. Alot to be said for a person taking a stand on Principle. What's cool, is that she is there in Haines to try and encourage "Hollywoodies" to come up and make movies there. They already filmed "White Fang" there. Anyhoo, it was a fine weekend.

And ya know, when we got off of the state ferry Le Conte in Juneau about an hour ago, there was a brace (two in number) of full grown Standard Poodles. And, I am not kidding about that. It seems that Truth can be stranger than fiction. And so, now that I am home, I had to report this.....

Edited by Jonny Lingo

And ya know, when we got off of the state ferry Le Conte in Juneau about an hour ago, there was a brace (two in number) of full grown Standard Poodles. And, I am not kidding about that. It seems that Truth can be stranger than fiction. And so, now that I am home, I had to report this.....

running.PNG

Alaska, where women win the Iditarod and men mush poodles!

:biglaugh:

And ya know, I too think that the whole "run down" of country people is bigoted. I have an acquaintence who is half Filipino, and half Native American who used to send me a lot of those "internet funnies", and alot of them were about Southerners being "dumb rednecks", etc. You know, the "Southerner's glossary of terms", and all of that. And I always thought that it was pretty offensive. So, I know where you are coming from Rick...

Hahahahaha... yes, Dooj... about that poodle !!! (sorry about my previous post... just lost my mind for a sec)

I agree with previous posters:

One of the quietest, most well-mannered dogs I have ever encountered was a large standard poodle.

One of the loudest, most annoying little yappy mindless run around in circles dogs I ever encountered was a little toy poodle.

Hahahahaha... yes, Dooj... about that poodle !!! (sorry about my previous post... just lost my mind for a sec)

I agree with previous posters:

One of the quietest, most well-mannered dogs I have ever encountered was a large standard poodle.

One of the loudest, most annoying little yappy mindless run around in circles dogs I ever encountered was a little toy poodle.

So - which one did you want to eat? ;) (or at least add to a stew)

All those posts about bigotry, and then Rick responds with this?
JavaJane, I am sorry, but your 2 posts after that made it sound as though you were in the "5% minority".

Why does that make a difference? Just as a black person can call another black person the "N" word and it's considered a term of endearment. But if a white person calls a black person the "N" word, it's a racial epithet. That is how it sounded...as though you were a minority trash-talking about the "inbred hicks" or whatever.

And yes, I"m a little sensitive about this issue because it seems that almost every day, someone is all over the news for saying something derogatory about some group or other. Yet words like Cracker, Gringo, Hick, Redneck and etc. get used all the time and no one thinks a thing about it.

And Chaz...I understand the laughing at yourself kind of thing. I can tell you some of the best hillbilly jokes around, but since a lot of my family lives in very poor rural areas (Southern Ohio and Kentucky) it's not done in a mean way. Because of what she posted, I thought JJ was a minority and was saying things in a derogatory way.

So even though I stand by the issue that I brought up, I am sorry that I assumed from your posts that you were a minority that was being insulting to rural southerners.

Now if you want to re-read that and STILL want to start something TheHighway, go for it. Otherwise, take a brush up on your reading skills. There is a BIG difference between laughing at yourself and an OUTSIDER (as I perceived JJ to be from what she posted...i.e., a minority) being DISRESPETFUL to another group of people.

In other words, if you dont' know what your talking about, leave your freaking nose out of it.

Rick

Edited by Bluzeman

Well, all I can say is:

Let's have a little talk about tweetle beetles....

What do you know about tweetle beetles?

WELL... when tweetle beetles fight, it's called a tweetle beetle battle.

And when they battle in a puddle, it's a tweetle beetle puddle battle.

AND... when tweetle beetles battle with paddles in a puddle,

they call it a tweetle beetle puddle paddle battle.

AND... when beetles battle beetles

in a puddle paddle battle

and the beetle battle puddle

is a puddle in a bottle

they call this a tweetle beetle

bottle puddle paddle battle muddle.

AND... when beetles fight these battles

in a bottle with their paddles

and the bottle's on a poodle

and the poodle's eating noodles

they call this a muddle puddle

tweetle poodle beetle noodle