GreaseSpot Cafe

Song of the moment

nandon

c'mon people now!.......at the risk of seeming platitudinal, or sickeningly sixities-ish........i offer this selection to a great thread...my personal favorite at the greasespot cafe............not a "can-you-top-this" thread, but a "why-not-contribute" thread........dedicated to the true great communicator of the human spirit, and true uniter of the human soul.........MUSIC!!.............................PEACE!

#

Fights on the music thread?

ouch

I dont know whats allowed .. Im a fan of all sorts of things --at this moment an informal acoustic jam

"Keep your lamp trimmed and Burnin" If its too weird for you move on..

It Takes a lot to Laugh, It Takes A Train To Cry--an underrated song in my book

Now the wintertime is coming

The windows are filled with frost

I went to tell everybody

But I could not get across

Well, I wanna be your lover, baby

I don't wanna be your boss

Don't say I never warned you

When your train gets lost

dmiller,I really do enjoy your music posts. dmiller--I get that you are musician--I live with one--my kid is sem-pro and EXACTING in what he likes. I sometimes think you guys with the ear listen and hear a whole other language!! I loved the Steve Martin video--never would have seen it if you had not posted it. I always look at this thread. Thanks! Keep em coming--I need the diversity in my music tastes! bfhThanks for the Madonna video--took me down memory lane--I used to live for that song "Borderline"--you are great at picking music--please consider doing more as I really enjoy your choices. Thanks

Edited by geisha779

MSTAR--you posted something done in Northampton--I was in Northampton today! Gordon Lightfoot is coming to the Calvin--not Jazz or Blues but might be fun--they do have some good music there.This one is for you groovy posters--I missed that era--just by a little--must have been FUN!! :)

MStar, Who is that playing in that jam session? This music junkie needs to know
That was Jorma Kakounen (on the left) and David Bromberg(on the right). Theyve both been around for quite awhile. Jorma was with the Jefferson Airplane then Hot Tuna. Bromberg has been a sideman for just about everybody. They were both students of the amazing street evangelist/guitarist Rev Gary Davis who im very partial to..

Heres another of "the Revs" students Roy Bookbinder

MSTAR--you posted something done in Northampton--I was in Northampton today! Gordon Lightfoot is coming to the Calvin

Dang you should have waved ! I was about 10 miles from there today myself in Williamsburg. Northhampton always has some great music,... the next big deal we have out in my little town is Richard Thompson who Im looking forward to..

---I better post another

song before i keep talking too much :)

Since Im on the topic now--

Kaukonen doing another tasty Gary Davis Tune

"Sally Where'd You Get Your Liquor From"

Edited by mstar1

This Video reminded me of the ladies at Greasespot Cafe, Ill bet we have a lotsa talent out there, maybe they could do something like this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkqnHNpcKOQ

Geisha 779,

OMG...that's Eric in that first video you posted with Carl Perkins and Johnny Cash...

How cool is that!

Just finished watching the first video you posted on Cream...what a great trek down memory lane...though I was but a wee-un :redface2: during those psychedelic years...it put many things in place for me.

thanks!

Edited by A la prochaine

Hey there, Moose guy

I completely agree.

These guys were grossly under-rated.

This cut does not even come close to showing how great they were in person.

I saw them in Cleveland, Ohio in about the same time frame at a bar called The Smilin' Dog Saloon.

(W.25th St.)

They did a version of Eleanor Rigby that featured the fiddle player.

He used a tape delay device (revolutionary for those days) to replicate the sound of a string quartet.

Thank you for bringing back some terrific musical memories for me.

Here is link that has more info and some really killer "cuts".

http://www.mckendreespring.com/site2.php

Check out #10----Meet Me In Paris.

Edited by waysider

c'mon people now!.......at the risk of seeming platitudinal, or sickeningly sixities-ish........i offer this selection to a great thread...my personal favorite at the greasespot cafe............not a "can-you-top-this" thread, but a "why-not-contribute" thread........dedicated to the true great communicator of the human spirit, and true uniter of the human soul.........MUSIC!!.............................PEACE!

#

I got to see Youngbloods in Hippie Fest a couple of years ago - it a excellent. Great song!

Check out the movie "1969" sometime - it's got that song in the soundtrack but even better - it's littered with GREAT music from 1969!

The PLOT:

In 1969, two best friends, Ralph Karr (Robert Downey Jr.) and Scott Denny (Kiefer Sutherland) live in a stuffy, upper-middle class suburban town in Maryland at the offset of the Vietnam War, and are both in college. While Scott's brother Alden enlists, he and Ralph are outspoken in their opposition to the war. Scott's attitude alienates him from his father Cliff and he and Ralph decide to spend the summer on the road, living out of their van and experiencing all the freedom the counterculture has to offer. Various events lead them back to town where they learn of the death of Alden. This event proves to be the catalyst needed to bridge the gap between father and son and enlightens them both to the true cost of the war.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Anybody got a match?

Edited by ChasUFarley

you guys and gals have done it again!!.........sure love joni mitchell RBG!.......and enjoyed brett fraser too!........and, our dear A La Prochaine!.........long time no see!.........thanks for the introduction to melody gardot!..........fabulous!..........and waysider, and bulwinkl, and mstar...........always interesting musical moments you guys bring up!.............and chas...........talking heads!!!!..........rhode island will always be proud!!!!..........like i said!......I LOVE THIS THREAD!!!..........and, ya got me goin'now!.............an all-time great follows!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBD23rTqVRk#

Geisha 779,OMG...that's Eric in that first video you posted with Carl Perkins and Johnny Cash...How cool is that!Just finished watching the first video you posted on Cream...what a great trek down memory lane...though I was but a wee-un :redface2: during those psychedelic years...it put many things in place for me. thanks!
This one is for you--The other was Blind Faith------this is Cream! BTW--I was a tyke too--I missed it by a few years--love it anyway!!

THIS IS DEDICATED TO HAP'S KID, WHO GOT BUSTED DURING A PEACEFUL DEMONSTRATION FOR PEACE, DURING THE RECENT REPUBLICAN CONVENTION IN ST. PAUL, MINNESOTA!.......THEY WERE TOLD WHERE THEY COULD MARCH, THEN SURROUNDED AND ATTACKED BY THE RIOT POLICE (WHO WERE "PROTECTING" THE OLD, RICH FOLK INSIDE THE CONVENTION HALL), WITH BULLDOZERS, PERCUSSION GRENADES, AND MACE AT THE MARION BRIDGE WHERE THEY HAD BEEN DIRECTED TO MARCH!.............THEY TOOK HIS WALLET, HIS PHONE, AND THE KEYS TO HIS BIKE, NEVER RETURNED THEM TO HIM, AND THEN "SET HIM FREE" AT 5:30 AM ON THE STREETS OF A STRANGE CITY, WITH NO WALLET, NO PHONE, AND NO TRANSPORTATION!...............WTF???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYtExWp8vDI...feature=related#

and thanks to chasufarley for reminding me of talking heads.........whose music is just so appropriate for how i feel about what was done to hap's son!............you can be proud of him hap!..............a real chip off the old block!...........and, a fine young american imho!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUgKb-5u6v4...feature=related#

Edited by Don'tWorryBeHappy

ok..........got that off my chest!............sorry for the "political interruption"..............i'm better now, thanks to the music!.............peace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inz9Sa_CVFs#

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HY-OjPFG1I...feature=related#

Edited by Don'tWorryBeHappy