GreaseSpot Cafe

James Gandolfini - Sopranos

Abigail

The full story is HERE

NEW YORK—Actor James Gandolfini, best known for his portrayal of mob kingpin Tony Soprano on the hit HBO show The Sopranos, was shot to death Tuesday in a Greenwich Village restaurant by a fan unable to accept the open-ended conclusion of the series finale that aired earlier this month.

Snip

"I couldn't let it just hang," Bowen told police in a post-arrest confession released to the media. "Eight years of my life, and a .... artsy cut to black? It was eating me up inside."

Snip

NYPD spokesman Charles Krann expressed regret over the Gandolfini slaying, saying that law enforcement "should have known this was coming," considering the heavy foreshadowing of impending doom in The Sopranos' final season and the lack of payoff.

Snip

Gandolfini's murder comes in the wake of several recent attempts on the actor's life following the airing of the series finale, which included a car bomb that exploded when he remote-started his car, and an attempted garroting while he rode in the front seat of a cab. Though the star is mourned by millions, many expressed relief that Tony Soprano's saga is definitively over.

Snip

Thank God it finally happened," said Lenox Hill Hospital general surgery resident David Kinsky, who was sitting at a table adjacent to Gandolfini's at the time of the murder. "I just knew that was how the story was meant to end.

SNIP

Okay, I have NEVER watched the Soprano's, so forgive my ingnorance, but the show was fictional, yes? Tony Soprano was a character in a tv show played by an ACTOR, yes?

And yet people have been trying to kill him because they don't like the way the series ended??? People are now celebrating his death because that is how the show should have ended????

Am I misunderstading something here or has our society truly gone mad????

I once heard that when Sir Arthur Conan Doyle had Sherlock Holmes get killed (finally got sick of writing about him) he received a lot of death threats so to appease those fans he wrote "memoirs' or something. Previously unreleased stuff. I also heard that when books came out from popular writers back then that there would be long lines around the publishing houses on the release date.

So the madness has always been there, even if this was a spoof.

I'm alive and well, thank you...

:biglaugh:

"Once you're in this family, there's no getting out"

-Tony Soprano