GreaseSpot Cafe

Best Hiding Places at Emporia

DogLover

Reading one of the posts about someone hiding in an off-limits attic at the Indiana Campus made me think fondly back to one of my favorite hiding places at Emporia ... it seemed like you couldn't even nap on your day off without someone thinking there was something wrong with you spiritually. I would take the freight elevator in Kipp up to the attic (in cooler weather; too hot when the weather was warm) to where some of us stored our things, then nap and read to my heart's content. I even took a pillow and a blanket. No one else could get up there because I had the elevator stopped up there!

Anyone else care to confess their favorite place to hide?

Edited by DogLover

There was also a storage room in the top floor of Emporia Hall. It was just for College Program folks, but some of the corps were well known to us and would use that space to "get away". We didn't blame them a bit!

Oh, and my very favorite, were the upper rehearsal rooms in the back of Kenyon. They were just for way prod folks, and if you went up there when the corps was in a meeting it was very peaceful.

I remember the Kipp elevator fondly as well. Although I didn't go up there for naps. It was a nice place to go with a lady friend. I remember that there were a ton of mattresses stored up there, and yes, if you had the elevator key (which worked only within the elevator itself), when you were stopped at the top and had gotten out, no one could get up there unless they climbed up the elevator shaft. It was the perfect "on campus getaway". And hey, do you remember all of the folks's signatures on the wall of the elevator shaft? Mine is on there too. I wonder if they are still there?

Another cool getaway spot was in the attic of Kenyon up on the top floor. I used to go up there and open a vent like window and look to the West and I could see above the tree line and watch the beautiful Kansas sunset. That was really nice...

Edited by Jonny Lingo

The pool in the gym was loaded with mattreses our first year. There was a secret walkway arranged in there along with a case of suds, I spent some time back there. great place to read, sleep, relax, choke down a warm one and not hear bless patrol say what are you doing here.

I once visited the wooded area by the pond in an area that was full of Mulberry trees one evening with the gal that became Mrs. Out There. Both of us inadvertantly were wearing ALL WHITE. We didn't know anything until later when we were walking through a hall way and Richard Small stopped and looked at us and started busting out laughing. It seems a roll by the Mullberrys had left purple stains all over us. He was saying loudly "I Know no where (erehwon) you too have been". My advice to the the corps the following year when I was teaching a class was - Stay away from the mullbnerrys!

The back forty was nice also

I found the storage area beneath the stage in Kenyon to be nice. You got to it through the basement of Kenyon. There were huge rolls of material (or maybe carpeting - I'm not sure) that one could lie on for a nap. It was usually quiet, but once I was down there when some Way prod people used the stage (right above my head) to rehearse. It was pretty cool being able to hear them when they had no idea I was down there.

Gee - I've never told anyone about this before. I feel cleansed!

BTW, Jonny,

The signatures in the elevator shaft in Kipp are no longer there, as Kipp Hall is no longer there. It and Emporia Hall were torn down and replaced by apartment buildings when the campus was subdivided. At least you have your memories.

basement of the kitchen

worked there my 1st year in residence

I remember making 40 BIGILLION cookies for christmas

It was a quiet place to go for a quick respite from all the hussle and bussle from the kitchen upstairs

thats also where the cookies were stored :redface2:

I remember the Kipp elevator fondly as well. Although I didn't go up there for naps. It was a nice place to go with a lady friend. I remember that there were a ton of mattresses stored up there...

There he goes again...Jonny the ladies man...scheeesh! MUST YOU always find occassion to talk about your sexual conquests?...it really gets old.

There were some little rooms up in the top floor of Kenyon, maybe they were practice rooms. A friend and I staked one out and kept our own coffee pot plugged in there all the time. We would run up there when they were serving that awful "stretched" coffee and fill up our mugs with real coffee. After coming back from a block at HQ, couldn't get back into Kenyon so we moved the coffee pot down to the basement of Anderson.

BTW, Jonny,

The signatures in the elevator shaft in Kipp are no longer there, as Kipp Hall is no longer there. It and Emporia Hall were torn down and replaced by apartment buildings when the campus was subdivided. At least you have your memories.

And Mark Clarke. So, it was torn down eh? Oh well. I will always remember that a number of the Corps from England put their names up there, and there was this great big mural like painting of the British Union Jack flag on the bricks of the wall, accompanied by their names. I thought it cool, for, I love Nationalism. I loved it that they loved their homeland like I do mine, and seeing their flag there with their names was very heartwarming. The Irish did the same, although their flag mural deal was smaller. Maybe, the Irish did theirs first, and then the English did their second, and therefore bigger. Hah! But it was cool. And so, is the whole campus gone now Mark?

Groucho, I was 22 years old then. You almost sound like a jealous man. Maybe you need to go and get yourself a job. A certain kind of a job.

You were 22 years old THEN...but the underlying theme of your "sexual conquests" that you constantly (for some reason) love to "share" with all of us, are posted NOW...

I almost sound like a "jealous man"? Jealous of a guy who posts like he's 19 years old?...It's just that I expected more maturity from a guy who's 50......but you honestly seem to be clueless as to how this comes across.

As far as me getting "a certain kind of job"...were you going to offer me Honalee's phone number?...No thanks, I like more mature women.

And so, is the whole campus gone now Mark?

From John Juedes's Messiah7 site:

"The campus has since been sold in pieces to various agencies and is used for such diverse activities as the American Legion, National Teachers' Hall of Fame, administration for the Emporia State University School of Library, churches, parks and retirement homes. "

The last I heard (a few years ago, from a site I can't find anymore), Wierwille Hall housed the National Teachers' Hall of Fame, the old Chapel was being used as a church, Owens Hall was a school, Anderson Library was still a Carnegie Library and owned by Emporia State Univ., and Kipp and Emporia Halls were torn down and replaced by apartment buildings for retirement housing. If I remember correctly the Campus Center was owned by a telemarketing company. The "back forty" is now a housing development.

Kenyon hall was also used as a church, but they are now thinking about tearing it down, according to this Emporia Gazette article:

http://www.emporiagazette.com/news/2006/se...ll_kenyon_fall/

.Mark has it correct Jonny, the campus center was used for a number of years by the VFW I believe as their local post they did bingo in the sunlight room, but have since moved. The circle drive is also cut off due to the rebuilding The plan was to offer Kenyon to the city by the developer who is from here in my town Topeka. They need a auditorium for the city you may remember they came to the campus while the restoration was taking place to see the work they had at one time intended to restore the William Allen White facility in town but lacked the funds to do so.

The Carnegie Library (Anderson) is currently owned and maintained by Emporia State University. However, as recently as a year ago, I heard from an extremely reliable source that it was expensive and burdensome for them to maintain and they were trying to find additional funding to keep it up.

Here is their link: http://www.emporia.edu/libsv/universityarchives/Anderson/

Also, the National Teacher's Hall of Fame has moved as well. They leased the Wierwille Library, but sub-leased the top floor to the telecom company. The telecom company pulled out, leaving a big hole in the NTHF's budget.

Here is the link about that: http://www.nthf.org/docs/nthf_now.pdf

And I found some good sites with before and after pics and information:

http://www.c-of-e.org/tour.php

http://users.marshall.edu/~etappan/Emporia.htm

Some of you spoke of signing the elevator shaft in Kipp. Wasn't there a place in Anderson Library that people signed, too? Anyone know if the signatures are still there?

In the very top of the Anderson Library was an area that all the College of Emporia alumni signed. After TWI took the campus over, the corps continued the tradition. I remember at one point during my in residence training at WCE, a group of College of Emporia alumni visited, toured the campus, and made sure to visit their signatures in the library.