GreaseSpot Cafe

Fire!

This should probably be in the "Prayer Request" section, but most of my GS friends live down here in the "Doctrinal" basement, so I'm posting here. Paw, please leave it here for a couple of days, OK?

We have a wildfire here that has forced me and my neighbors (300 homes) to evacuate. I wasn't home when it started, and by the time I arrived, the cops wouldn't let me up the hill to my place. A neighbor of mine rescued my dog, and managed to hook up with me to deliver my "Katie" to me. I am staying at the birth center where I work now, so I'm grateful for my own bed here, but have not heard whether or not my home is still standing.

I live in one of those mountain areas, where we all own about 5 acres of pine and sage brush, nice homes out of the city, but still within sight of neighbors. Everyone got out OK, but I'm praying for the deer and fox who live there too.

Sure makes ya stop and count your blessings.

They won't let us go home this morning, and no word as to when we can. The wind has died down some, so hopefully they'll get it contained soon.

Please pray for the fire to go out. It is one of about 30 fires now burning in Montana. I'll keep you posted.

post-3055-1187617533_thumb.jpg

Thinking of you and all the fires in MT/WY. My sis will probably lose her cabin though it has been emptied out and sprayed with fire retardant. My brother no longer works on the fire crews due to smoke/breathing difficulties--too many fires over too many summers. I had to see my lung doc who increased the way cool steroids for fire season.

Here's some MT fire humor floating around

It's so dry in Montana that Baptists are starting to baptize by sprinkling,
the Lutherans are giving out wet-wipes,
the Presbyterians are giving out rain-checks, and the
Catholics are praying for the wine to turn back into water!

It's over. The area where my house is was not touched by fire. It is amazing. They opened up Emerald Hills Tuesday at noon, so that we evacu-ees could return home. There are cops at the three entrances not letting any spectators come up here, and requiring ID from anyone who wants in. Strange. But I appreciate the privacy for awhile. I had to drive through quite a bit of blackened land to get home, but much of it is grassy hillsides, which will green up again next Spring. Seeing the homes that burned just broke my heart. But many homes were spared, and that's incredible. The rest of this area is wooded, and we lost a lot of pines. It's surprising though, how many did not burn, even though the land beneath them is scorched. From my deck I can look in all four directions and see no evidence of fire.

When I drove into my driveway, there was a fat rabbit sitting on my front porch, and two twin fawns in my yard. These three critters have been visiting me all summer, so I was glad to know they survived the fire too. Such is life this year, in smoky Montana. But God is so good.

Thanks for the prayers.

Shifra, I am glad you are home safe and sound. I am also glad our home remained safe.

We have lost over 28,000 acres of forrest land in our beautiful Upper Penninsula and the fire rages on. One of our posters here has a beautiful piece of land, on a lake with a cabin, that I believe is still outside the permiter of the fire. On that land is a white pine that if I recall correctly, they managed to spare from the loggers and is now over 200 years old. Such a loss that would be, if it were to burn now.

On the other hand, as destructive as forrest fires are, they are also a part of the life cycle. The loss of vegitation and animals from such a fire will lead to new birth, new growth, in years to come.

The "fat rabbit" and fawns will enjoy the grasses in the newly cleared area. Sorry to hear some homes were lost, and very grateful that you were able to come home to your furry friends and your home. Prayers of thanks are in order!

((((shifra))))

(((((Shifra))))

So glad everything has worked out and you're back in your home sweet home safe and sound.

Florida has gotten much, much better about controlled burns to prevent the mass destruction we've had down here in the past decade. Now things aren't quite as precarious when fires start naturally, thank goodness! It's just incredibly stressful and precarious when loved ones have property and life in the path.