GreaseSpot Cafe

England's Rose

Cindy!

Ok....I know it's kind of pathetic....but Princess Diana somehow made an impression on me from the first day that I heard the name "Lady Diana".

She came out of a rather dysfunctional family, and married into a rather dysfunctional family.

And she is just a few months older than me.

Thankfully, my wonderful husband does not think me insane to follow her life....er...I mean her death....ten years after the fact.

I've been touched by her since the beginning.

I sobbed when she died.

Watching the funeral/memorial service......I was a mess.

Today I watched the tribute her sons did for her and I followed the concert in her honor on her birthday.

I get that Charles married her out of duty....and really tried, as much as he was able to...to make it work with her.

I think that both Charles and Diana were limited by the system, expectations, the royal family, the press, and a HUGE lack of understanding the human condition and all the very very many and very very different factors that contribute.

They tried to make a go of it. To MAKE it work.

It didn't.

They divorced.

I know that Camilla was Charles' true love, and that he did not marry her when he was 20 because his mother forbade it. I get that. It soooo sucks. He married Diana. To fulfill what his mother and father told him would fulfill his duty.

It's a whole way of life that I know nothing of.

Thank God.

I do understand parts of it, because my own parents were distant, judgemental, and un-involved. (though that was not their wish....they also were victims of their own lives)

Charles did what he did.

Diana did what she did.

Camilla did what she did.

William and Harry were there through it all.

So, anyway....back to the topic....

what was the topic?????

oh yeah.......

What feelings cross your heart?

What thoughts cross your mind?

At this ten year anniversary of her death.

With conspiracy theories, the royal family's postition, your own ideas.....

What's going on?

(btw....you are TOTALLY exempt from this if you hated the whole "Diana" thing or just don't give a s**t!!!!!)

I am used to my husband's loving indulgence in this aspect.......you are wayyyyy free to disagree!!!

(of course, I'm free to throw a HUGE hissy fit in response, the likes of which Diana and Kensington Palace have never seen) :-)

jk

Edited by Cindy!

I remember a comment made (10 years ago), by someone on a radio show about this.

Mother Theresa died (10 years ago) on Sept. 5th, just a few days after Lady Di did.

She lived longer and had a more productive life, than Lady Di did.

Lady Di lived her lifestyle, and Mother Theresa lived hers.

NOT dissing Lady Di at all, but I have to wonder ----

Will Mother Theresa receive the same accolades this next Wednesday????

Which (of the two) made a *REAL difference* in this world?

Again -- NOT dissing Lady Di, but (imo) she was just another celebrity.

I never saw the Papporazi (sp?) folowing MT around, like they did her.

Tributes to the dead are ALWAYS good. Honour is a respectful thing.

I hope there are a few for MT on the 5th of September.

Edited by dmiller

I remember a comment made (10 years ago), by someone on a radio show about this.

Mother Theresa died (10 years ago) on Sept. 5th, just a few days after Lady Di did.

She lived longer and had a more productive life, than Lady Di did.

Lady Di lived her lifestyle, and Mother Theresa lived hers.

NOT dissing Lady Di at all, but I have to wonder ----

Will Mother Theresa receive the same accolades this next Wednesday????

Which (of the two) made a *REAL difference* in this world?

Again -- NOT dissing Lady Di, but (imo) she was just another celebrity.

I never saw the Papporazi (sp?) folowing MT around, like they did her.

Tributes to the dead are ALWAYS good. Honour is a respectful thing.

I hope there are a few for MT on the 5th of September.

I Hope That As Well Dmiller; and I will be looking for them too, as Mother Theresa's blessed contributions and love deserve recognition, rememberance and representation! We all hopefully can learn to recognize, remember, and honor in one another all the wonderful and loving contributions We ALL do make!

I will always remember where I was and what I was doing when I heard she had been killed in a car wreck in Paris, just as I will always remember where I was and what I was doing when JFK was murdered and on 9/11.

I think the appeal of Princess Diana was not just her beauty and style, but her humanity. After the breakup of her marriage and indeed, even before, she was quite honest about her bulemia and the stresses she endured. She was refreshingly different from the rest of the royals, who "keep a stiff upper lip."

Not to be totally unfair to Her Majesty & Co., they go back a long long way with their traditions. Remember, she is the head of the Church of England, defender of the faith, etc etc on and on, and most of these traditions have been rooted and grounded for several centuries. There was a huge contrast between her mothering skills with Princes William and Harry and those of the Queen herself, whose chkildren were essentially raised by nannies and their father the Duke of Edinburgh, an interesting character to say the least. Her Majesty was busy being queen, travelling the world to review her empire and so on. There was a newsfilm aired one time of her getting off a train after a few months away, and her little son, Princie Charles, about 4 or 5 at the time, runs to her. She looks down at him, pats his little head as if he were a spaniel, and turns away to the officials there to officially greet her. Contrast that with Diana, flying down a runway, arms flung wide and a huge grin on her face to greet her sons after an absence.

This is the way the queen was raised, duty, duty, duty, duty, and then some more duty. This is the way she raised her children. Diana, on the other hand, raised her boys to serve and love. They have turned out quite differently, I think. I also think Prince Charles saw at least some of the light, and became more nurturing than he was ever nurtured. Anyway, to paraphrase Shakespeare:

"The evil that men do lives after them. The good is oft enterred with their bones. So let it be with every royal."

Life is hard. They tried. God bless them.

WG

Thanks Psalmy!

dmiller...I hope MT gets her deserved recognition, too. It's been very moving to see MT's private thoughts/doubts/despair in print recently.

Guess it just goes to show that often the most troubled souls end up doing the most for humanity.

WG....I agree...her humanity is what made most of us love her....that and thoughtful and caring approach to motherhood.

I dunno, no disrespect to Mother T, but she did not touch my life or educate me in matters that I recall like Lady Di did. In addition to her speaking on eating disorders, perhaps her greatest contributions were in raising awareness of the problems with forgotten land mines.

~HAP