GreaseSpot Cafe

Nametagocracy

shortfuse

Beat me now... I had the job of engraving those darned things at Korps week and ROA. I even got to make the nametags that needed "Rev." added to the name. :ph34r:

We did pray for each person as we made them...

I like this subject...the name tags were a very important part of our twi experience...

I had one of those weird shaped wow nametags back in 1976...I thought it was pretty cool until I saw a corps nametag and how people "ooohed and ahhhed" when they saw it. I was looked upon with disdain by them...I could see it in their eyes. I knew I had to get one of those corps nametags so that I could be really cool too.

...but then I discovered that once I got my corps name tag...the number on it was too high (10th)...the lower the number, the more spiritual you were...dang it!...there were hundreds and hundreds with lower number way corps name tags than mine!...My only solace was to wander away from other corps and mingle with the folks who were in awe of my corps name tag...the non-corps!...Of course! (those who are not allowed on the new waycorps website)...

The pecking order was determined by the nametags!...it seems that with some people, it still is.

Hmmmm-----

Well I still think they had some sort of "secret", vested interest in a company that actually produced nametags.

Thus, the more nametags they required, the more nametags their "secret" interest manufactured.

Self generated income.

OK, OK------ I don't really believe that but it makes a pretty cool conspiracy theory, dontcha think?

Hey! Here's another thought.

Maybe in one of his heavy revvy moments, VPW saw that as we got older we would need something to help us remember who we are.

Nah!! That one doesn't fly either.

Gimme time.

I'll think of something else to explain it or my name isn't --------

Actually, it was a little weird...a complete stranger would call you by your name!...One glance at the name tag and ...poof, it was just like magic, that sucker knew your name. I would be standing there, minding my own business, and a complete stranger would walk by and say "Bless you Groucho"...it would rattle me! I didn't know him from Adam...it seems that if you want to call me by my name, then introduce yourself to me. You don't deserve to know my name if you don't know me!...stick your nametags in your arse...

...oops, excuse me folks, I got a little excited there for a minute. :)

Actually, it was a little weird...a complete stranger would call you by your name!...One glance at the name tag and ...poof, it was just like magic, that sucker knew your name. I would be standing there, minding my own business, and a complete stranger would walk by and say "Bless you Groucho"...it would rattle me! I didn't know him from Adam...it seems that if you want to call me by my name, then introduce yourself to me. You don't deserve to know my name if you don't know me!...stick your nametags in your arse...

...oops, excuse me folks, I got a little excited there for a minute. :)

HaHaHaHaHa!

I know that feeling, Groucho.

May I call you Groucho?(I saw it on your name tag.)

I have to wear a uniform for work. It has my name over the shirt pocket.

People do that "hi, waysider" thing to me all the time.

(Not sure why 'cause that's not the name over my shirt pocket.)

Sometimes when I go to pick up lunch at the local Burgers r Us, the person behind the counter will say something like, "Would you like turnip chips with your Biggie Burger, waysider?"

That drives me nuts.

There's a lesson in all this.

The next time you meet a person who works in a service industry, don't automatically assume they like turnip chips.