GreaseSpot Cafe

Guitar for someone wanting to learn how to play

Scout Finch02

I have always loved listening to music, and at the tender young age of 50, I am considering learing to play the guitar. My six year old niece just got one and I thought it would be fun to learn the same time she is. I am also hoping that guitar strumming will help me regain some of the range of motion and strength I have lost in my hands from rheumatoid arthritis.

What type of guitar is good for a beginner?

While in Costco recently, I saw a folk guitar for ~ $140. I do like folk music, and wondered if this is a guitar to consider.

What is the difference between a folk and an acoustic guitar?

What are some of the rip-off sales pitches that I should avoid?

Should I go to a real music store or is Costco an OK place to get a beginners guitar?

I am stepping out of my usual frugal mindset, throwing caution to the wind and have decided that I'll spend the money for a good guitar and find a place to take some lessons.

What are your thoughts on finding a music teacher? Or are there books, dvds or other things that can teach me to play? I can read music as I took piano lessons in college for a semester to meet gen ed requirements and I had always wanted to learn. I am also buying a keyboard, but have already decided on a Yamaha 88 key (can't remember the model, but it goes for about $500). If anyone has thoughts on pianos/keyboards, would appreciate that feedback as well.

Thanks in advance for your info.

I would advise you to go to a music store. Don't know what kind of guitar Costco sells but more than likely it's just a "guitar shaped peice of wood" (don't know where I read that but I love it!)

Look for a low end Alvarez, one in the 3-400 dollar range, if your budget allows. Make sure they do a good "setup" on it before you leave. Among other things, that will adjust the neck so the strings are as close to the frets as possible, makeing the strings easier to "push". Also, if you alread have problems with your hands, you might want to start out with a light gauge set of strings. This will result in a "tinnier" sound, one that is not as full and lush sounding, but will be easier on your hands while you are learning. Even a young person with NO hand problems will have some pain at first....expect that. Your fingertips especially will get very sore until you build up callouses.

If you read music, great! You already have a one-up on me and I've played since 1972! Never could figure out them little black dots. :) But seriously, I would get a basic chord book and maybe a dvd at first cause it sounds like your already pretty motivated. Then later, if you decide you need the extra help, look for someone to give you lessons.

Good luck, and I'm sure that as more people from the guitar thread see this post, you will get a lot more advice!

Rick

Edited by Bluzeman

A few other considerations.

What kind of music do you want to play? Say you want to play classical music, I would suggest a classical guitar, since the neck is wider to allow for single note play. If you want to play 'folk' music, then a folk guitar would be my choice. Lastly, if you want to play rock or jazz, perhaps an electric would more fit the bill.

Another would be the size of your hands. I have rather large hands, so a classical fit my hands better. Also, I wanted to play fingerpicking style and this was more conducive to this. Nylon strings are also a bit easier on the fingers.

the guitars I saw in our local Costco were some Asian brand (didn't look to see the country)... don't know what that means, but if after following the advice of the learned brethren & sistern here you figure out what you want... you might want to check your local Craigslist and see if you can find one for sale there... I've always been advised to make my first guitar purchase "a quality used one", in good shape of course...

Rick, can he purchase a used 'quality guitar' and then take it into somewhere like Guitar Center (or whatever he has locally) and they'll set it up for him?

THanks for info.

I looked up info on Alvarez guitars and saw this model: Alvarez AD60K Artist Dreadnought Acoustic Guitar

Figured Dao top, back, and sides. Rosewood fingerboard. I like the looks of it, but don't know enough info about the features to decide if this is good for a beginner like me. I think this one is beautiful and the price is fine with me.

I will look for info on other suggested manufacturers and look forward to hearing more info and opinions. Thanks.

quote: What are your thoughts on finding a music teacher?

I think that would be a good idea. I started playing when I was 13; took lessons for 2 years. After that I later took classical guitar lessons and got other musical training (choir, music theory, piano lessons) but everything else I sought out and learned on my own or from other guitarists.

But during the first 2 years, the lessons played a strong role. Like Bluzeman said, your fingers are going to hurt for awhile, and being 50 instead of 13 is a minus. Your fingers aren't as limber anymore. Some chord switches might take longer to master than others. But if you take guitar lessons from someone you like, who encourages you, who praises you, then that weekly lesson will be a buffer zone of sorts. A time of refreshing. Cause you don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a guitar only to decide a month later..."Aw, man, this is just too tough!" That guitar lesson just might be what it takes to keep you going from week to week.

I say DO IT!

You're on a fun quest, Scout! I'd concur with all the advice thus far. The Costco offerings will have some drawbacks, the same as most lower priced instruments that are mass produced, be it in or out of the country.

Currently the price ranges for "beginner" acoustic guitars run between 150 and 350, give or take a buck. Here's a couple - the Washburn listed first is a good instrument I've been told. In general I hear good things about Washburns. The Yamaha below it the same, bought one for my daughter as an all-purpose guitar and it's very playable and sounds good. (the "classical" guitar listed 3rd shows a pic of a "nylon" string guitar, different than these other two and associated with classical and folk musics). They're all "acoustic" guitars, which is kind of a retro-fit term, as all guitars were originally of this type, but the name separates these from the modern "electric" guitar, where the body is a solid piece of wood and the sound is generated through a "pickup".

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Was...p;CJPID=1759905

http://www.zzounds.com/item--YAMFG700S

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_guitar

The two elements of a guitar from a players standpoint could be called - playability and sound. How it plays and how it sounds, pretty basic.

How it plays is a broad topic, but for a beginner the general idea is that it doesn't play "badly", that is it doesn't have any of a host of problems that would make it difficult to play. Common problems boil down to 1- the strings being high off the neck and difficult to press down, and 2-being out of tune when you play no matter what you do to tune it. Without getting too technical those are the two biggest bads in any guitar - hard to press the strings down because they're too high off the neck and can't be adjusted correctly, and it just won't play in tune.

How it sounds is broad too, as you might expect. More or less you want a "full" sound, loud, and one that isn't "tinny" or "thin". In the lower priced range the sound is going to be an issue - both the guitars I listed and others, have a "good" sound, although they'll lack certain qualities that would come in a 2,000 dollar guitar, say, which you'd expect.

I'm not familiar with the Alvarez you mentioned, but have heard a few comments about them, good ones.

For starters as a "beginner", playability is key, critical and non-negotiable. Typically a less expensive guitar will come off the wall or the box with a setup that needs some work, meaning the height of those strings and the way it plays in tune may need some adjustment. In other words the construction is sound and it's built well, but it needs some adjustments. That's the advantage of buying at a store, where the guitar can be evaluated a little. A "good" guitar for you could then get some adjustments made if it needs it, prior to you buying it.

Or not - I've pulled many guitars off the wall, and they play nicely and don't need anything done to them. I was in Costco last Christmas and grabbed an acoustic off the stand that played fine. You'll need someone with you who knows what to look for to make a determination though. So you benefit from some guidance which a sales person can provide. If you live near more than one store, visit more than one.

If you're near a Guitar Center, they have just about everything. They're fun to visit and set up to do what you want to do - look, touch, play, ask, look, think, etc.

One other element to think about as you try them out - you'll notice the word "dreadnaught" - that means a "big" body. Bigger body, bigger sound, more volume. That body size is something to consider when starting, as you hold it in your lap and wrap an arm around it. Bigger may be uncomfortable at first. Players like that big body sound but you might want to go for a "regular" body size. You'll see the difference when you shop.

---

If you'e at a music store, ask about instructors. It pays to start out with at least a few lessons to get you going. It really depends on where you want to go with it, and you don't have to figure that out the first month. An instructor will answer a lot of questions and provide some basic direction that will help a lot though, even just a couple to get started, find some music, get situated with your guitar, etc.

I think guitar is a wonderful instrument to learn and play. I've played since I was 10. I slept with my first guitar, kept it right next to me. I slept with my first Fender Telecaster. I kept my first Gibson Les Paul with me everywhere I went. It's not an exaggeration to say that you can develop a long term love relationship with music through your instrument. Although today they have to stay in their own space. :)

Thanks to everyone for your comments, links, etc. Visiting several music stores does seem like a good idea. I don't mind spending money on a good beginners guitar. If I find that I can't play it because of the rheumatoid arthritis, I plan on giving it to another older of my nieces who seems to be very gifted musically. She already plays piano and flute and she'd love to have a guitar anyway.

That's the beauty of looking at this as a journey. It is going to be fun no matter what the outcome. I would rather have spent the money, take the lessons and whatever else I do in the process and find out it is not practical, than to not even try because there is a chance it won't work.

Plus my niece will be very happy and the smile on her face is well worth the price of admission. :)

THanks for info.

I looked up info on Alvarez guitars and saw this model: Alvarez AD60K Artist Dreadnought Acoustic Guitar

Figured Dao top, back, and sides. Rosewood fingerboard. I like the looks of it, but don't know enough info about the features to decide if this is good for a beginner like me. I think this one is beautiful and the price is fine with me.

I will look for info on other suggested manufacturers and look forward to hearing more info and opinions. Thanks.

Hey there Scout Finch. :)

This looks like a decent choice for a beginning guitar, with a decent price tag.

I found it for sale HERE! for $299.99, but with no case.

There are several good reviews on this guitar, in the lower right corner of that page.

They sell a hardshell case that fits this guitar for $89.99. You NEED a case. No if's and's or but's.

I called Muscian's Friend today to find out about the case (product # 543257), and that's the price.

For $389.98 total --- (imo) it's well worth it.

Now -- some of your other questions. I would NEVER buy a guitar from Costco, Kmart, etc. Like Rick said -- they are guitar shaped pieces of wood with little (if any) musical *integrity* to them whatsoever. In other words -- primarily junk. The one you chose (the AD60K) will be far superior to any dept. store model. The AD in the model number means Alvarez Dreadnaught, so it will have a slightly larger body to it like Socks mentioned. That is only a problem if you have REALLY short arms. The larger body size usually doesn't bother folks, and you do get the better sound out of it.

A folk guitar is nothing more than an acoustic guitar. It's same thing.

The ONLY part of your fingers that will hurt, are your fingertips. They are very tender at first.

Once you build up callousous' (one to two weeks), it'll be no problem for you to play.

Use light gauge strings at first. They will not deliver as good of a sound as medium strings would,

but they will be more forgiving on your fingertips, right at first.

Pretty much everything everyone else has said here is right on as well.

There are books and dvd's for learning -- but get a teacher for the first few months.

Personal instruction beats books all hollow when you're first starting out.

Good Luck. :)

Edited by dmiller

Socut, we kicked that topic around on the Guitar thread awhile back. Arthritis and related pain in the hands, wrist, arm are a concern to any musician. Bluzeman was checking some stuff out, too and may have some insight on that.

I've played all my life, and for many years, probably about 40 or so of those, daily. Today my wrists do experience some pain, due largely to extended periods of working on a keyboard. Careful setup and observation have minimized that.

Although guitar can be learned and played in a casual setting without long term damage, if yoiu have pain already I'd recommend pursuing an instructor for a few lessons to start. There may be some DVD lessons that address proper positioning of the hand and arm to specific for existing conditions, I don't know of any but there could be some worth checking out.

A knowledgable instructor will be able to help you get the correct positioning of the guitar for your hands. It's an unnatural position to begin with and there's really nothing you can do other than get the height and angle correct, but that's important.

I also use a wrist wrap support at times. Like a few weeks ago, I did a gig playing bass, for about 3 hours total. I took the wrist wrap to provide support. For guitar it's not as big an issue but electric bass guitars are heavier and require more pressure from the fingers, so I was ready and wore it for the second set. Helped enormously.

Have fun!

dmiller,

Thanks for advice on the case. I will definitely get one.

If I bought the guitar online, who would I take it to for the adjustments others here have spoken of? I found a place locally that offers lessons, but does not sell Alvarez guitars. They only sell very expensive ($3000 to 25,000) guitars Do you think they would do the set up for me (for a fee, of course), or should I look for a store that sells the Alvarez brand and have them do the set-up? I could just stop by and ask, I suppose, but thought I would get an idea of whether that's a stupid question or not.

Thanks.

Scout

Most reputable places are more than happy to offer that service to you regardless of the model.

I have no idea what you should expect to pay in terms of a fee.

For most places, it's kind of a "foot in the door" opportunity.

They get to show you they are competent and develop a business relationship for the future when you need to buy strings and picks and widgets and gizmoes.

And, it's a good way to see if they might offer lessons at your level.

My nephew is a guitar instructor in the Cleveland area. He actually has a waiting list of people who want to enter at the beginner's level so you may encounter that if the teacher is very good.

Good luck to you. I hope you have a rewarding experience.