GreaseSpot Cafe

SIT alerts

johniam

The only SIT alert I remember was the one in the middle of the night after VPW's passing. Yes, Waysider, I recall being told not to respond or comment while the message was being read.

Trash can for the prayer requests at HQ? How sad...heart-breaking, really. To think that some of those requests very likely came from people who may not have had much at all materially, and were thinking that twi would provide some spiritual support through the tough times.Whew...

As for VP's illness, twi had by that time been caught in the logical vise of magical word-of-faith teaching and having health issues. A little tough to sustain this beyond one generation as twi taught it.I think VP stated in PFAL, that if things don't work out with God (or somethng like that), then "it's me, O Lord"? Loosely translated according to mis-usage, read "it's you, O insignificant leaves on ye ol' Way Tree". And remember the statement in the Renewed Mind syllabus to the effect of "If we would keep a perfectly renewed mind,we could live forever"? Hmmmm.... ??!!??

Love to all,

drummer boy :confused:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was told that prayer requests sent up the twi tree were handed out to in-rez corps to SIT for, like it was part of their job. did that not ever happen? I didn't stay in-rez long enough to find out first-hand.

And remember the statement in the Renewed Mind syllabus to the effect of "If we would keep a perfectly renewed mind,we could live forever"?

I didn't take that class, but I vividly remember someone who had telling me that as if it was a holy truth.

As far as the in -rez deal I don't ever remeber in the 3 years having

anyone name given to me. Many times a prayer would happen for someone.

close to a corp person. A family member or sponsor.

God has given me one thing for sure a great memory. I can remember things forever.

Can't understand how to spell but I can remember things most can't.

In our first year in Oct. A fellow named Jack ran in to the supper meal and asked for us

to pray for his town in Texas the whole place was on fire.

Yes vp prayed. Did he think it worked I couldn't answer that. I can say one of the earlier

books was called the Majic of Believing. In one book he tells a corp guy he can stay

as long as his money last. Why not pray for him or teach him to pray for the

money? One place vp talked about the 3 guys in Van Wert would get together every morning

and invisison what would happen for 30 minutes and it would happen.

Maybe he tryed the best he could. In the family corp promotion it wanted older people to come in so

the could sit around and pray.

No I must of missed something because the old guys were getting the same brain washing as I.

There was this old guy Clarence he was in his 80's had him running up and down the road.

Sleeping with the rest of us in class.

Must of missed the prayer request.

Prayer req's at the Way Nash were burned in the Way Woods, in the campfire area. Symbolic. Smoke go up, gone. (Rewind a few years, that was way back when).

I guess that would solve the problem of having to read and pray.

I can remember burning prayer requests occasionally in local/area fellowships,twig, branch, etc. As a symbol, I suppose I can understand the practice, in that it's something akin to casting all our cares upon Him. I wouldn't want to have a zippo lighter at the ready every time I pray, though. :) I guess then I'd have to start smoking again (Kool straights, just like the MOG).

danny, I believe I misread your post re the trash can and prayer requests (I rushed through the idea that it was figurative). However, figurative or not, I still think it shows where the priorities were.

Returning to the idea of SIT alerts as "seasons of prayer", I went to several of these and did my hour back in the day, but there wasn't a legalistic attachment to the whole thing. The home version was an option for me too. I'll agree that how these things happened depended to a great extent on where you were, and who your local leadership was at the time.

drummerboy

After, potato. After read and prayed for.

It wasn't a matter of course or a tradition. Sometimes there would be prayer vigils, or occasions when people would write things down. The occasion might be where the individual would toss them in, burn 'em up. Or there might be a collection of them. Contrary to what's being reported and purported here it wasn't a cavalier gesture.

I would compare it to a kind of community event, grouping together to pray. There's nothing sinister or cynical about writing a heartfelt prayer on a piece of paper or tossing it in a campfire as a gesture of releasing it to God. It may mean nothing to some of you but it meant something to me.

Edited by socks

I still do not get this, from a twi point of view although i did it for years.

consider If as the bible says God hears our prayer why do we then need a couple hundred or even more than our self to pray for us?

I sometimes think it might be like beggin God real loud with many voices screaming at HIM , why do we need that again?

I hope he hears my most silent prayers no one eles knows about the most.

I believe i will live forever.

might take a rest in the dirt for awhile tho.

mike where are you ?

he talks about this sometimes living without ever being dead .

have ya seen the quality of life for those living to 100?

i rather take the sleep if given a choice at that point.

difference between 20 and 50 i guess.

Edited by pond

After, potato. After read and prayed for.

It wasn't a matter of course or a tradition. Sometimes there would be prayer vigils, or occasions when people would write things down. The occasion might be where the individual would toss them in, burn 'em up. Or there might be a collection of them. Contrary to what's being reported and purported here it wasn't a cavalier gesture.

I would compare it to a kind of community event, grouping together to pray. There's nothing sinister or cynical about writing a heartfelt prayer on a piece of paper or tossing it in a campfire as a gesture of releasing it to God. It may mean nothing to some of you but it meant something to me.

ok, I get it. so the general populous sent in prayers, they were given to staff or in-rez who read and prayed, then they were symbolically burned... I have no problem with that, in fact it's what I was led to believe happened to prayer requests. I thought they were just getting tossed into the fire.

I still do not get this, from a twi point of view although i did it for years.

consider If as the bible says God hears our prayer why do we then need a couple hundred or even more than our self to pray for us?

I sometimes think it might be like beggin God real loud with many voices screaming at HIM , why do we need that again?

I hope he hears my most silent prayers no one eles knows about the most.

I believe i will live forever.

i get what you're saying pond, i do

but there have been times in my life where i am so desparately wanting for someone i love to get a prayer answered that i've called the lutheran church around the corner because they have a prayer list deal thing they do

i think it's more about my human need than anything to do with god really

and when my mom calls and asks me to have people pray, i always do it

logical ? probably not

desparate ? yes

ha

Im desperate as well.

i am not ashamed of my prayer and i do not believe God like you or them better.

i just do not have anyne to pray with

Well, ya got us!! :)

There are lots of folks who visit the prayer forum who would be more than happy to pray with you.

John Hendricks' ministry has 'prayer power line'. It's the only thing they use the internet for I think. We haven't been part of their fellowship for 3 years now, but we still get them. It's an email listing people by name, their need, and if applicable, a time constraint in cases of surgery or court cases. Everybody in that group with a computer gets the emails. That's a good thing, I think.

Those SIT alerts were supposed to be a really big deal, though. I just wondered if people could just make them up.

John thanks again for starting this tread.

I read a life changing book for me that is Prayer by

Phillip Yancey.

He said something like If one Christian gets 20 or 30 or 40 people praying for them

and the one only prays for there need will God honor the 40 or the one.

In the bible there is a verse about the prayer of a rightouse man means much.

So which is it?

Jesus prays many times in the Gospels. If he was God why would he Pray.

Prayer it's a big thing. All the heavy weights and the under weights did it in the bible.

Was Moses prayer less effective because he did not sit?

Any of the people in the Gospels or Old Testement less than after that time?

If we SIT and they didn't is it better?

Lets face it God loved Isreal they didn't sit.

God loved Jesus he did not SIT. That we know of.

Is SIT the best way?

Why wait for so many years if it was the best way to pray?

Had to come back and add something

I just taught of in that verse

about the prayer of a rightious man it does not

say the SIT.

I'm sure Paul or whoever could of said that.

I have to go see where it is and look at it.

Paul does say some thing like if I pray with my

understanding or pray

with the spirit.

Why would he pray with his understanding if it was

less than the best?

I think I draw some comfort when i pray with "understanding" which means with words we all recognize such as Father my hear t is broken and in need of healing etc. those praying with me also understand the communication and can have love and compassion towards one another which helps comfort our souls and helps us love one another better.

if somone just comes up to me and sit i would rather think they are a FREAK and to get away from me please.

not the same type of outcome really.

I think prayer is a good thing whether SIT or with understanding.

No, I don't think God respects an SIT'd for prayer more than a prayer with the understanding. In 1 Cor. 13 it says though I SIT like a house a'fire and have not love, it profits nothing, right?

One of the 12 things VP said SIT was good for is it "magnifies God". If you think about it, God inhabits eternity; can't magnify eternity, EXCEPT in our understanding. If I understand God better, my prayer life will probably be better. So if SIT will cause me to understand God better, that's a GOOD thing. Still has to be in love, yes.

SIT is like spiritual technology. Physical technology makes the things we do more efficient. Take telephones, for instance. At one time, if you wanted to use a telephone, you had to use land lines and you had to be geographically where the phone was. Later they came up with cordless phones and car phones, but you still had to be in a specific geographical area to use them.

But now with cell phones, you can use them pretty much anywhere; no more geographical restrictions. SIT is like that. Before Pentecost, if you wanted to worship God, you had to be in the temple or some other place. With SIT you can worship God anywhere.

I think God gave us SIT to help us in many things, not just prayer. At worst, it's one more thing that can be misused; at best, it adds to what we already have, like Paul said in 1 Cor. 14.

quote: Paul does say some thing like if I pray with my

understanding or pray

with the spirit.

Why would he pray with his understanding if it was

less than the best?

Exactly, you need BOTH. Neither one negates the other, it's like praying with a tag team.

Edited by johniam

I think I draw some comfort when i pray with "understanding" which means with words we all recognize such as Father my hear t is broken and in need of healing etc. those praying with me also understand the communication and can have love and compassion towards one another which helps comfort our souls and helps us love one another better.

if somone just comes up to me and sit i would rather think they are a FREAK and to get away from me please.

not the same type of outcome really.

I don't know if this had anything to do with my offer to SIT for you. That assumed that you would have told me you had a problem but wouldn't reveal its nature. Not much point in praying in the understanding, when you have no understanding of the problem!

:)

George