GreaseSpot Cafe

You know you're living in the year 2003 when.......

ChattyKathy

Your reason for not staying in touch with your family is because they do not have email.

You have a list of 15 phone numbers to reach your family of three.

Your grandmother asks you to send her a JPEG file of your newborn so she can create a screen saver.

You pull up in your own driveway and use your cell phone to see if anyone is home.

Leaving the house without your cell phone, which you didn?t have the first 20 or 60 years of your life, is now a cause for panic and you turn around to go get it.

Using real money, instead of credit or debit, to make a purchase would be a hassle and would take some planning.

You just tried to enter your password on the microwave.

You consider second-day air delivery painfully slow.

Your idea of being organized is multi-colored Post-It Notes.

You hear most of your jokes via email instead of in person.

You get an extra phone line so you can get phone calls.

You disconnect from the Internet and get an awful feeling, as if you just pulled the plug on a loved one.

You get up in the morning and go online before getting your coffee.

You wake at 2:00 a.m. to go to the bathroom and check your email on your way back to bed.

You start tilting your head sideways to smile. :-)

You?re reading this and nodding and laughing.

This past week I drove out to Columbia, Maryland, to pick up my wife who had been visiting our daughter and granddaughter over the holidays. My daughter had changed apartments since the last time I was there.

I had my daughter's new street address, so when I got to Columbia, I stopped at a Staples and bought a local street map. I got to my daughter's apartment complex just after dark, and I couldn't read the numbers on the buildings, so I cruised around the parking lot until I found my daughter's SUV. There was snow on the ground, and I followed my daughter's tracks from the side of her SUV to the building. The whole process was SOOOO pre-2003! It even included tracking footprints. I felt like Aragorn in "The Two Towers".

The next evening I called one of my nieces, who recently moved nearby, to invite her over to watch TV and eat pizza. I had my maps spread out by the phone, ready to give her directions. The first thing she did was to ask me for my daughter's street address. I gave it to her, and before I could do much else, my niece started reading ME the directions of how to get there! She had simply fed the address into some program on her computer, and it gave her the directions, down to a "t".

Yes, this IS 2003!

Love,

Steve

Those on-line directions are great! I was visiting a GSer this summer who was not a native of the city she was then living in, so she was not able to give me adequate directions.

I tried my old method of checking a street map, and found three streets named the same as the one she lived on in the same general area, all intersecting her cross street.

Finally, I broke down and went to the internet, and had detailed direction right to her door.

Although when I met with Hills, we just met at the Wendy's, and I followed him to his house icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Oakspear icon_cool.gif

"We...know how cruel the truth often is, and we wonder whether delusion is not more consoling"

Henri Poincare

Kathy -

I got that one a few days ago and added another thing to the list before I forwarded it...

.... You find yourself looking for the "send" button on your home phone.

Hope R. color>size>face>

THREE CHEERS FOR THE BUCCANEERS!!!size> color>

I got that one last year for 2002.

A few items were on that one that weren't

here. Let's see....

-You check ingredients labels to see if your

soup contains echinacea.

-You page your son to come down to dinner.

He e-mails back "what did you make?"

-Clearing out the dining room involves throwing

all the wrappers out of the backseat.

-You receive a list like this and laugh.

-Even worse, you're going to forward it to your

friends.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...