GreaseSpot Cafe

It's a sad flippin Day!!

likeaneagle

GOt an email today saying our new 1 dollar coins have omited "In God We Trust", since Im not a foreigner to snopes, i snooped it..It is true..my stomache is turning.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/dollarcoin.asp

we cn take it out of circulation if we dont except it from a store..just ask for a paper dollar.

Edited by likeaneagle

GOt an email today saying our new 1 dollar coins have omited "In God We Trust", since Im not a foreigner to snopes, i snooped it..It is true..my stomache is turning.

we cn take it out of circulation if we dont except it from a store..just ask for a paper dollar.

LAE

I read the link to Snopes.

It kinda reminded me of an election where voting "no" meant "yes" and vice versa.

But, in the end, it appeared to me that the motto will still remain.

(Currently on the edge of the coin and later on a more prominent place on the larger surface.)

I do agree, though, that the information is a bit confusing.

Try reading the Snopes piece you provided a link to, again.

The article say it was relocated for these series on the side of the coin.

Note however the absence of the word "Liberty". The statement is retained in the image of the statue of liberty.

If anything needs to be stamped in 5 places in as many languages it's that word. Keep Liberty! You can have mine when you pry it from my cold dying I-Pod :biglaugh:

A lot of people were equally concerned.

Article

"In God We Trust" to Return to Prominent Position on U.S. $1 Coins

by Aimee Herd : Dec 31, 2007 : Katherine T. Phan – Christian Post

It is important that our national motto, 'In God We Trust,' is prominently displayed on all of our currency…."

(Washington, DC)—After the new U.S. $1 coins were released, which honor the nation's presidents; many were dismayed at the placement of the national motto: "In God We Trust." The words were included, however were moved to the edge of the coins, allowing for greater room on the face and back for larger artwork.

"Since the colonial beginnings of the United States, citizens of this nation have officially acknowledged their dependence on God," said Senator Sam Brownback, who recently sponsored legislation to return the motto to a more visible spot on the coins.

"It is important that our national motto, 'In God We Trust,' is prominently displayed on all of our currency," added Brownback, "we should not relegate our heritage to the side."

According to a report by the Christian Post, President Bush signed the legislation last Wednesday, which will be "put into effect by the Secretary of the Treasury as soon as is practicable."

I think it's kinda neat seeing the words stamped on the side of the coin like that. It seems to make the coin appear more "precision", to me anyways.

Ya know, George Washington allegedly threw a silver dollar across the Potomac River one time. But that can't be done these days, because, well, a dollar just doesn't go as far as it used to... :dance:

Edited by Jonny Lingo

Likeaneagle's email must be slow. even that snopes article was from a year ago.

A little historical perspective for those that may think this national motto has been around forever:

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_God_We_Trust

As excerpted from the Treasury Department's public education website:[2]The motto In God We Trust was placed on United States coins largely because of the increased religious sentiment existing during the American Civil War. Secretary of the Treasury Salmon P. Chase received many appeals from devout Christians throughout the country, urging that the United States recognize God on United States coins. From Treasury Department records, it appears that the first such appeal came in a letter dated November 13, 1861.
Congress passed the Coinage Act (1864) on April 22, 1864. This legislation changed the composition of the one-cent coin and authorized the minting of the two-cent coin. The Mint Director was directed to develop the designs for these coins for final approval of the Secretary. In God We Trust first appeared on the 1864 two-cent coin.
American presidents such as Theodore Roosevelt strongly disapproved of the idea of evoking God within the context of a "cheap" political motto. In a letter to William Boldly on November 11, 1907, President Roosevelt wrote: "My own feeling in the matter is due to my very firm conviction that to put such a motto on coins, or to use it in any kindred manner, not only does no good but does positive harm, and is in effect irreverence, which comes dangerously close to sacrilege ... it seems to me eminently unwise to cheapen such a motto by use on coins, just as it would be to cheapen it by use on postage stamps, or in advertisements."
In God We Trust was first used on paper money in 1957 when it appeared on the one-dollar Silver Certificate.
Perhaps the source of the concern over this latest coin was:
On March 7, 2007, the U.S Mint reported an unknown amount of new George Washington dollar coins mistakenly struck without the edge inscriptions, including "In God We Trust." These coins have been in circulation since February 15, 2007 and it has been estimated by some experts that at least 50,000 of them were put in circulation. The coin rapidly became a collector's item as well as a source for conspiracy theorists.

the phrase itself as the national motto? Here ya go:

A law was passed by the 84th United States Congress (P.L. 84-140) and approved by the President on July 30, 1956. President Dwight D. Eisenhower approved a joint resolution declaring In God We Trust the national motto of the United States.[1]The same Congress had required, in the previous year, that the words appear on all currency, as a Cold War measure.

Its interesting to me that the topic seems to get more focus during periods of war and its aftermaths. Don't people care so much about God when we are NOT involved in a national conflict?

~HAP

I wonder where I could get my hands on some of those struck without the motto. As a part time amateur numismatist, I'd love to know.

As for the motto itself, I think it's especially appropriate that the motto be on the currency today as there's no other aspect of it worthy of any trust. It's just monopoly money without any backing in gold or silver...just paper and ink or alloy coinage.

According to the NY Fed, there is about $820 billion in currency in circulation, most of which is held outside the US. So most of our fake money is not even paper and ink ... except maybe ink in some ledger, if they even do that. Probably just electronic entries on computer.

I wonder if there are any coins that would hold value at all, ifthe dollar collapsed. i know some buy bags of silver or gold coins ... but I mean just regular coins. Pennies aren't even copper now, I don't think nickels are nickel either ... not sure though.

Better to have some bullets I guess, though those are expensive too. Or a good tractor might hold value and could give a return on investment.

I think the idea was to keep people from sitting on their cash, but rather to put it to work. This keeps the economy rolling. But if people start swapping out for other currenies, and the US dollar crashes, they don't have anything like gold to stop it. You'll get your money, but it is just a question of how much it will be worth.

I sent you a pm Ron, about a tractor question if you have time ...

Here is some information from the U.S. Mint web site under FAQ:

Question

Can you tell me why "In God We Trust" is inscribed on coins?

Answer

Legislation approved July 11, 1955, made the inscription of “In God We Trust” mandatory on all coins and paper currency of the United States.

Legislation approved July 30, 1956, made “In God We Trust” the national motto of the United States.

Question

Where is "In God We Trust" on the Presidential $1 Coin?

Answer

"In God We Trust", "E Pluribus Unum", the year of minting or issuance, and the mint mark are on the edge of the Presidential $1 Coin as required by the authorizing legislation