GreaseSpot Cafe

lawn care/trimmer questions

Dot Matrix

In the back yard - it is woodsy and needs to be trimmed down. I think hubs had used one of those blades like John Belushi in the Samari comedy things he did --

Anywho, I need to know what I need to cut that stuff down, what is a Good brand of whatever it is and how to use it.

Would I need-

Would it be a brush trimmer?

A string trimmer?

A sword? Sickle thing?

Or a cheap lawn boy?

Looking for advice

The lawn springs forth weeds, things like new lpttle trees, the under brush of the forest, it is rough out there.

It's hard to answer your question. Not enough information.

How big is the yard?

Is it Brush? Scrub? Sage grass? Saplings...about what diameter? Tall grass? Sumac?

Maybe you handle it with a push mower or a kid with a machete or you need to hire somebody with a brush hog. There's no way to tell without a little more info.

It is woodsy

Skinny new born sapplings, thick weird grass, rocks, brush etc. He used the mower some, the sickle thingy some and other things... I do not have the money to buy all that stuff...

I need a one thing - thing ---- that might help me sheer this stuff down.

Yes, there is sumac, oak and posion ivy

and Bumps of fire ants

Snakes as well, mostly black

Maybe I can save my money and hire someone once a month - I forgot about the snakes

The back yard is about 3/4 of an acre maybe

Hi Dot,

I hope you get some good advise, but I think you need someone who knows you and maybe can look at your yard. I generally will not recomend power tools to anyone unless I know them, so that I'm sure that they won't hurt themselves or others.

I don't doubt that you have the abilty, but in this forum it's impossible for me to be sure.

Do you have some family member or friend you'd trust to give you advise? Maybe a local handyman you can rely on?

I hope that it works out for you.

Goat sounds good

Jef- No I do not have anyone near or men I know here to ask

Taks a guess- on what you think I need

I will not hurt myself

Like at the bottom of the page here at GS

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000087R4E?smid=A...mp;linkCode=asn

Will this cut sapplings or only thick grass?

or this?

http://www.tylertool.com/blanddegh14g.html

Is it strong enough?

The mower may hit rocks and break the blades

This thing I can hold up in the air better

Edited by Dot Matrix

Hi Dot,

I hope that things are good with you.

It looks to me that either of the echo brush cutters may be what you need. A key thing to keep in mind while you're shopping wil be the diameter of the brush that you need to cut, that will be what you need to know in order to see if a paricular model is up to your needs. It may be good for your use to look for a model that easily converts between a grass cutting line and a brush cutting blade. That way one machine will do everything you need around your house and/or property.

I'm not a believer in over-reliance on name brand loyalty but I've never been let down by Husqvarna or Stihl tools. They are more expensive than echo tools but are more towards commercial grade too. Google "stihl brushcutter" or "husqvarna brushcutter" to find them.

A company called DR makes an excellent line of brushcutting mowers. Google "dr brushcutter" to find them. I think that this route is the most expensive but also the most heavy duty solution, depending on how big your job is.

If you do not have a good hawdware store or home store, I think any of these companies has free literature for you to look at to tell you what you need to know.

I'd suggest reading through a few of these sites and then comparing notes with a local store with good help, especially one that has service technicians that fix these types of tools day in and day out.

I hope that this helps.

Take care Dot.

Bush has the answer .... My Pet Goat

You need to borrow a goat ... put it on a 20 foot rope ... move it around every so often. Maybe two goats ...

Or fence it in and keep a share your goat with a neighbor. Of course they will eat everything ...

goat2.jpg

Edited by rhino