GreaseSpot Cafe

Hi, all gardeners

kimberly

Do you gardeners realize that between the various bug infestations, snails, hail, etc that you are officially (loosely) fifty percent of the way to being able to claim the ten plagues of Egypt on your crops?

Groucho and I can spare you. Just send us 15% of your healthiest crops at harvest time accompanied by a money order for $200.00 (USD).

Do you gardeners realize that between the various bug infestations, snails, hail, etc that you are officially (loosely) fifty percent of the way to being able to claim the ten plagues of Egypt on your crops?

Groucho and I can spare you. Just send us 15% of your healthiest crops at harvest time accompanied by a money order for $200.00 (USD).

As a purely philanthropic act of kindness, I hereby offer to spare you the burdensome task of having to process a money order. Simply take four crisp, new $50 bills. On the back side of bill #1, print the word "Lo". On bill# 2, print the word "shanta". Bills # 3 & 4 should be processed in like manner with the words "Maka" and "Seetay". Send them, along with your crop offering, to:

waysider Ministries and Gently Used Truck Parts

666 Youllnevercatchme Court

Seeyalatersucker, Ohio 66666-6666

Edited by waysider

I will only send you 15%if you manage to successfully eradicate all the vermin from my yard this includes pocket gophers ground squirrels. mice and voles. I have a large yard.

Oh ye of little faith.

All I knew about creosote was that it smelled terrible and I suspected it wasn't good for the human body in any way. We slopped it on the railroad ties, and I was told to rinse out the container and clean things up. I ran water in the container, sloshed it around and dumped it on the grass in front of the side entrance to the limb building.

The grass died, almost overnight. The limb leader was not happy, but later forgave me and told me "Don't let it be a sore spot on your heart." I was actually thinking, yeah, it was dumb, but why didn't someone think to TELL me not to get it on the grass? I didn't know much about the stuff.

And No, I don't think you can buy it any more. There was a creosote plant on the west side of Indy when I was but a tadpole, and it stunk to high heaven. One of the reasons my parents moved when they did.

They dipped telephone poles in it. It's related to tar and some nasty stuff.

Leafy, you may need a cat or two.

It's been a few years since I drove by former Limb HQ. I also think it is a party barn once again. Be nice to have a couple truckloads of that really well worked soil out back, which still contains faint DNA remnants of our sweat and tears.

We have baby green tomatoes! Lotsa nice black raspberries, too! Learning to make ice cream!

WG

Oh ye of little faith.

LOL Well you know I am a show me kinda Gal!

Leafy, you may need a cat or two.

We have four cats and a hawk that visits regularly.. I dread to think what it would be like if we had no cats and no hawk.

Sadly last Friday Our best ground squirrel and gopher catching cat had to be put to sleep. She will be missed.

I'm really sad you lost your kitty.

I didn't know that when I posted you needed a cat.

I did want to add there is a harmless spray called RepelsAll, made up mostly of rotten egg and red pepper, and harmless to food plants, that we use on certain trees and plants to keep Bambi and his cousins away. It seems to work; I haven't seen any nibbled on willows or anything since.

Now we are at war with Japanese beetles.

It never ends.

WG

Hey everyone! I've made it back to sunny cool England and I miss "hot as hell" home. I was in for a shocker when I walked out into my back garden on Saturday, everything is green and lush and overgrown. The bugs have had a field day, but were generous enough to share by leaving some of my veggies for me. Last night I picked three types of lettuce, spinach, radish and some nasturtiums for a salad to go with my red beans and rice from home.

:wave:

gc

Rum, gotta remember WG spent time in Charleston. Red beans, black beans are very traditional there. It comes from the Gullah culture and influence still very much alive in that area.

Beans and rice are very much a main staple in the south. Gotta have some corn bread to go with it. Cooked different depending where you are from. Where I grew up there was always biscuits, too.

WG, I'm as Southern as Red Beans and rice with french bread, gumbo, crawfish pie and boiled shrimp! The New Orleans area is where I'm from, but do have kin in Mississippi. The red beans were so good the other night that I'm having left overs (always wonderful) for lunch today.

leafy, I'm sorry about your cat! I know he or she will be missed. I think God put some animals on earth to show us how to love. I lost my dog, who traveled to England with me, the day I landed in New Orleans this trip. God how I miss him and when I came back it was hard because he wasn't there to greet me at the door with his tail wagging a mile a minute :(

RIP leafy's cat and Sampson

gc

Rum, they do taste good!

Waysider, I love that song :eusa_clap:

T'enk Gawd fuh Chastun!

(Gullah for "Thank God for Charleston!")

Gullah people, for those who are unaware, are descendants of freedmen from West Africa. Gullah language is a hodge-podge of English, West African, and West Indies dialects. Most of them speak English but it is hard to understand. One time, working in a hospital, I was delivering typed x-ray reports to the floors, when a couple of very nicely dressed ladies came up to be and asked a perfectly incomprehensible question that ended with "de mommie and de baby?" From that I deduced they wanted OB and sent them around the corner.

A lot of them live on the islands in the coastal waters or at least used to before real estate out there got valuable to the tourist trade.

WG

Another Charleston staple was stewed tomatoes and okra served over white rice. I never quite caught on to that, but I did make some passable Hoppin' John for New Year's day one time.

Hoppin' John is field peas or black eyed peas, whichever the grocery store has on hand, cooked with ham hock or bacon, onion, green pepper and rice. Mr. Garden wasn't too impressed but the foster kids (all born there) and I thought it was pretty darn good.

Also boiled raw peanuts once for a Charleston kid; done right, they are quite addictive

WG

Another Charleston staple was stewed tomatoes and okra served over white rice. I never quite caught on to that, but I did make some passable Hoppin' John for New Year's day one time.

Substitute corn for okra if you are not an okra fan - perfectly fine dish.

Hoppin' John is field peas or black eyed peas, whichever the grocery store has on hand, cooked with ham hock or bacon, onion, green pepper and rice. Mr. Garden wasn't too impressed but the foster kids (all born there) and I thought it was pretty darn good.

Amen

Also boiled raw peanuts once for a Charleston kid; done right, they are quite addictive

and amen

edited to say I kinda added to this post in a new thread since it was about a recipe and not about gardening. Mish mash or something like that.

Edited by RumRunner

I love blackeyed peas for New Years day! My mother always served them, good for luck? or was that money? :)

gc

Heh - the cabbage was green money, the blackeyed peas was silver money, and I can't remember what the corned beef was for.

gc, black eyed peas are for luck and collard greens are for dollars. I plant enough collard greens the end of August to last us all winter long.

Oh, honey everybody, I have maters and more maters. There is no greater delicacy than a homegrown tomato sandwich.

So far, I have blanched and put in the freezer 10 quarts of greenbeans and 4 quarts of squash. We have to quit eating the tomatoes so we have some to can.

There was bushes of Dill, Basil, Italian parsley, Tarragon, and Thyme to sell at the farmer's market. Because the new herb garden was so prolific I decided on a whim to give it a try. All the herbs were sold. All of the cut Zinnias and sunflowers were snatched up within minutes. All this has me thinking bigger and better for next year.

• Upvote 2

Kimberly, I had enough thyme and have enough basil to sell. I had so many sweetpeas that everyone I know had some and their sister. What a good idea to sell them at the farmer's market. How did you go about doing that?

gc

Leafy and GC, sorry to hear of the loss of your pets. Always distressing.

Creosote is carcinogenic (=gives you cancer) and that's why it's not used any more.

Thanks for the tip that lawn needs more nitrogen. Maybe that's it. Though I think the person who sold the house to me had only laid the lawn fairly recently(to make the property look good) - a year or two only before she sold it.

Things seem to be flourishing at present. Maybe recent rain has something to do with that.... :rolleyes: Took off my first two courgettes (zucchini) yesterday. Some things still haven't got the message though.

Creosote is carcinogenic (=gives you cancer) and that's why it's not used any more.

The other wood treatment to avoid for use in gardens is anything treated with copper arsenate. The preservative is so toxic that if you buy it in 8 foot sections there will be half a dozen warning labels stapled to it. Don't know about the U.K. but still commonly used in the U.S.