GreaseSpot Cafe

Hi, all gardeners

kimberly

Its been a very wet Spring here...sometimes I have felt like I have been transplanted into a rain forest :( However, I do have some plants and even though they are now getting over run with weeds...can't get in the garden....they look healthy.

I know I should put this in the prayer forum, but it seems trivial in light of some of the requests there. So, If ya'll think of it, I would appreciate prayers for a safe journey. We leave for the airport in 7 hours. Here's hoping the slugs don't eat everything in my garden before we get back.

A very happy gc :) :) :)

Yep, they're dangerous all right and Mr. Garden knows how to handle them. However, we haven't planted any for a couple of years. This is due to my own dislike; he thinks the plants are neat looking and I think they are ugly.

Plus a couple years back, some guy in California grew a whole row of them in his garden and got arrested by Homeland Security because they figured he was growing them for ricin.

I just think they are too bizarre looking, plus the deer just walk around them.

WG

Oh and of course prayers for safety for gc & co.

Plus a couple years back, some guy in California grew a whole row of them in his garden and got arrested by Homeland Security because they figured he was growing them for ricin.

DHS Goofballs - they grow native out here in southern cal. If the guy wanted to get ricin he could go down to quite a few canyons I've walked through and harvested them by the hundred pound.

Well, very happy gc ought to be on this side of the pond by now.

I had the most glorious day in the yard. I push mowed the front and back yard. I don't let the boy do it because I like the exercise. Plus, when he mows he blows in the garden. He has been known to mow down plants. Hilled the beans, squashed roly poly's with my fingers and said ugly words to them while doing so. The corn is near needing to be hilled...cut dill and basil and hung to dry...tied the tomatoes further up on their stakes...and lastly, weeded. The liriope border is over come with weeds. Although, I am proud of this area and it took me a few years to cultivate it, it is last on my priority list. It doesn't provide food.

The Vincas around the mailbox are now flourishing since I did a little work amending the soil last week. The bone meal is just what it needed. Even though the Vincas did not do well there last year I am amazed at the volunteers that have sprung up. I bet there is at least a dozen.

One of the other areas not so happy. I am just gonna have to break down and get the soil tested. Nothing is happy there.

Well, very happy gc ought to be on this side of the pond by now.

I had the most glorious day in the yard. I push mowed the front and back yard. I don't let the boy do it because I like the exercise. Plus, when he mows he blows in the garden. He has been known to mow down plants. Hilled the beans, squashed roly poly's with my fingers and said ugly words to them while doing so. The corn is near needing to be hilled...cut dill and basil and hung to dry...tied the tomatoes further up on their stakes...and lastly, weeded. The liriope border is over come with weeds. Although, I am proud of this area and it took me a few years to cultivate it, it is last on my priority list. It doesn't provide food.

The Vincas around the mailbox are now flourishing since I did a little work amending the soil last week. The bone meal is just what it needed. Even though the Vincas did not do well there last year I am amazed at the volunteers that have sprung up. I bet there is at least a dozen.

One of the other areas not so happy. I am just gonna have to break down and get the soil tested. Nothing is happy there.

Jealous of your corn and you squished the roly polys???? were they eating your beans??? I usually only have issues with them on carrot tops and cantaloupe but I am wondering what they are chowing down on in your garden so I can guard against their onslaught.

Okay and I am wondering is roly poly a back east term because in Cal I For Nie Aaay they call them sow bugs which i always have to stop and translate in my head to roly polys and which I thoroughly indoctrinated my children with calling them this name which fits their habits. besides Sow bug sounds disgusting to me. By the way they are a beneficial bugs in your mulch pile... They eat litter debris. And of course poop out compost.

Began my watering yesterday but we went to the coast for a romp in the afternoon.. of course not much got done... but the tomatoes are doing very well as are the peppers. I finished reading a book about composting and it has several different interesting methods and ways to enrich flower beds and areas of your yard.

I think a worm box is out of the question until later this fall. but we will see.... I am anxious to try the straw and manure method as well because I have tons of Chicken manure.... okay not tons but a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I am trying with two things.

First, I watered everything with Epsom Salts. These are supposed to be high in Magnesium and Sulphur, which improves uptake of other nutrients. That was last week.

This week I have given everything a dose of Miracle-Gro.

It's hardly rained at all, which probably doesn't help things!

What's doing really well is the sweetcorn, which I've never tried growing before.

Beets! We've got beets! First time ever they grew and could be eaten!

WG

Congrats!! My kids and I love beets - got a great pickling recipe from an aunt - we'll eat a pint of those in one sitting - then go for the pickled garlic. Beets are also pretty good for you, a tough hardy plant that can take a lot, very little maintenance, just all around good.

When we lived in the South, we grew some okra. Now okra contains a viscous liquid, similar to what comes out of your two-year-old child's nose in the winter, but the okra only releases it during cooking. You can cut it into chunks, dip the chunks in egg, roll them in cornmeal and deep fry them, but this recipe I used included onion, green pepper, bacon and sliced okra. It didn't taste too bad but seeing the snot coming out of it while cooking made me swear off okra forever.

Another greens incident: While we were living on the Left Coast, this woman took me along with her and her four kids to pick green beans at an organic pick your own farm. They were also growing Swiss chard. Imagine my surprise when one of the boys came up to me, happily munching on a big old leaf of chard, exclaiming over its deliciousness, and offered to pick me a leaf of my very own. When I said no thank you, I don't like Swiss chard, he looked at me as if I were possessed with evil spirits.

Poor kid; brainwashed at age 6, by Swiss chard and such like. Perhaps I should have reported them for child abuse! :rolleyes:

WG

When we lived in the South, we grew some okra. Now okra contains a viscous liquid, similar to what comes out of your two-year-old child's nose in the winter, but the okra only releases it during cooking. You can cut it into chunks, dip the chunks in egg, roll them in cornmeal and deep fry them, but this recipe I used included onion, green pepper, bacon and sliced okra. It didn't taste too bad but seeing the snot coming out of it while cooking made me swear off okra forever.

Another greens incident: While we were living on the Left Coast, this woman took me along with her and her four kids to pick green beans at an organic pick your own farm. They were also growing Swiss chard. Imagine my surprise when one of the boys came up to me, happily munching on a big old leaf of chard, exclaiming over its deliciousness, and offered to pick me a leaf of my very own. When I said no thank you, I don't like Swiss chard, he looked at me as if I were possessed with evil spirits.

Poor kid; brainwashed at age 6, by Swiss chard and such like. Perhaps I should have reported them for child abuse! :rolleyes:

WG

Now just hold on there. I am not a big fan of okra for above stated reasons...however if it is deep fried long enough with a good batter the child snot goes away.

Swiss chard is a holy phase - not take it in vain. swiss chard is wonderful.

RR, when we were in FLO, the first year the garden had yielded a lot more greens than normal people know what to do with. Mustard greens, Swiss Chard, whatever else could be plucked was thrown into a bowl and dressed with this cooked, heated dressing containing chopped egg, bacon, oil and vinegar. This and water comprised our dinner. Very very inadequate in filling us up whether we liked the taste or not. Thank God for Friendly's.

WG

RR, when we were in FLO, the first year the garden had yielded a lot more greens than normal people know what to do with. Mustard greens, Swiss Chard, whatever else could be plucked was thrown into a bowl and dressed with this cooked, heated dressing containing chopped egg, bacon, oil and vinegar. This and water comprised our dinner. Very very inadequate in filling us up whether we liked the taste or not. Thank God for Friendly's.

WG

Can't argue with that WG...I like greens - but well fact is I like meat, fish, chicken, pork etc...

Leafy, that ole sow bug aka pill bug is what we call the roly poly. When you pick it up it rolls into a ball, thus roly poly. Some young'in must have come up with that. It weren't me but I wish it was.

Them ole roly poly's ate my bean stems when they were just tenderlings. With the mulch so near the tenderlings I think the rolies thought that part of their duty.

I don't have rolies in my compost but I do have tons of earth worms. The compost is always moist and I periodically add soil to the compost.

Another note: if compost is producing volunteers then it is not hot enough to decompose. If you add this mixture to your garden it will rob the soil and other plants in the garden.

The greens recipe with a thick cut of bacon.....I had to laugh. Southern or not we all know everything tastes better with bacon!!!!

Mustard greens, collards, turnip greens cooked with smoked ham hocks and served with cornbread cooked in a cast iron skillet is a winter delicacy and mainstay for us southerners.