GreaseSpot Cafe

The Incredible Shrinking Way

Oakspear

JavaJane,

You must have had the privilege of being the twig secretary. I remember in the 2000's having to get someone to do it for our fellowship--we had forms in a binder and everything! (Upon suggestion from Branch and/or Limb leadership.)

In the nineties attendance was an issue. You had to call and explain why you couldn't make it.

I really wonder if they weren't trying to simplify their lives by getting rid of people. They had plenty of mula ... just get rid of any trouble makers or people with needs ...

TWI in the nineties really sounds like the TWI light zone ... a bad episode ... :blink:

They could just idle the engines and plan a lot of trips to Jamaica or Gunnison. Real helping and outreach is such a hassle ... :spy:

Secretaries keeping track of what people thought about teachings ... yikes ...

WI in the nineties really sounds like the TWI light zone ... a bad episode ... :blink:

Picture yourself on a terrace overlooking a beautiful African beach, it’s another PERFECT day like all the ones before. The ocean is deep blue, your workers are well tanned, all busy about their daily activities. All seems tranquil when you hear a strange noise behind you in the house...

You walk in but suddenly the room has changed! This is not your house, you don’t recognize anyone in the room, but there are so many white haired or dyed middle-aged people sitting and walking about. The decor is dated, looks like something out of the ‘70’s or maybe 80’s and the people all have name tags for some reason. Suddenly next to you appears this beautiful young girl in a white nurses dress. But this is a real beautiful dress, cut just right and filled perfectly especially where the buttons should be...But before you can take my eyes from her, she smiles and says ‘welcome Bumpy’, welcome to the TWI-lite zone...Oh my God!

She begins to explain to me that this is a kind of re-hab centre for all sorts of visitors but many of them are volatile so be careful. Most of them come from a particular time and place that was not such a comfortable memory and they are trying to forget, meet new people and in the process do a LOT of talking! But the name tags are all faded. I ask her, why is that? They are former identification markings sort of Orwellian, she says. It was a part of their youth and they can’t seem to take them off. Also they are very proud of them. Each one knows the time and place the other one came from, but don’t ask them to reveal anything. They are very suspecting, especially the one with the roller skates over there.

Strange I say, why are they here and what are they looking for, are they on drugs? I can’t keep my eyes off her for too long, she’s beginning to remind me of someone? She bends over to pick up a discarded yellow piece of paper. Looks like an old posting, when you put your thoughts down on paper. She says, she isn’t quite sure, but many of them come and go through different rooms. It’s sort of like a maze and many of them scurry about all the time, leaving little bits of paper like the one I just picked up.

But again I have to ask, what are they doing here? Is it a retirement home, do they play bridge, backgammon? Suddenly there is a bang. She says she has to go, one of her patients needs her medication, she lost her kids and doesn’t know where to find them. I turn around to see a smiling gentleman looking at me. He says, hello, you’re Bumpy aren’t you? How ‘bout having a drink at the bar, I have some funny stories to tell. :evildenk:

I don't remember even seeing anyone keep track of attendance. The ONLY focus was on the money generating activities such as running classes. That's about it. There was never any tracking of how the existing people were doing. It was actually embarrassing to see how impoverished they were. (On many levels) A new person came with me once and said "your friends all look like losers. Nothin' personal. Why do they talk about abundance and look like they don't have a pot to p**s in?"

No wonder TWI was shrinking...

JT

This sure brings back memories! It was the same in my Fellowship. No one was really had anything or knew anything. It was a handful of people pretending to be important, and thought they were superior to everyone because of "The Word". They were a bunch of desperate people with nothing else but TWI who thought that anyone else who came was desperate too. I remember The Girl's mom imperiously insisting that I join another Fellowship, run by her sister and brother in law. (Right, Mom, so I can listen to your other wacked out daughter!) The guy was some sort of mechanic, and one day he came into my workplace asking for me with grease all over him. I was obviously very busy, and he was trying to chat about his stupid Fellowship. "What a class act", I remember thinking. "Join another fellowship" my a**! I'd rather go get tied up and whipped at the local Fetish Night!

This sure brings back memories! It was the same in my Fellowship. No one was really had anything or knew anything. It was a handful of people pretending to be important, and thought they were superior to everyone because of "The Word". They were a bunch of desperate people with nothing else but TWI who thought that anyone else who came was desperate too. I remember The Girl's mom imperiously insisting that I join another Fellowship, run by her sister and brother in law. (Right, Mom, so I can listen to your other wacked out daughter!) The guy was some sort of mechanic, and one day he came into my workplace asking for me with grease all over him. I was obviously very busy, and he was trying to chat about his stupid Fellowship. "What a class act", I remember thinking. "Join another fellowship" my a**! I'd rather go get tied up and whipped at the local Fetish Night!

Ain't that the truth...

I hear a lot of romanticizing about the good old days and all the wonderful friendships that were made during their twi experiences...

I say BULLSH ****T! My twi memories include all the nights that I would dread the arrival of all the desperate morons that would soon be invading my living room. People that I would never, in a million years, have associated with otherwise. I found myself hanging out with people I didn't like and doing things that I didn't like...and seeing how "things" in the "ministry" didn't really "pan out" as expected...I think it was a total waste of my time. You could probably find more "together" people at an AA meeting or a Metallica concert than you could at a twi fellowship. Sure, there were some cool people here and there...but most of them were sorry arsed losers.

Ain't that the truth...

I hear a lot of romanticizing about the good old days and all the wonderful friendships that were made during their twi experiences...

I say BULLSH ****T! My twi memories include all the nights that I would dread the arrival of all the desperate morons that would soon be invading my living room. People that I would never, in a million years, have associated with otherwise. I found myself hanging out with people I didn't like and doing things that I didn't like...and seeing how "things" in the "ministry" didn't really "pan out" as expected...I think it was a total waste of my time. You could probably find more "together" people at an AA meeting or a Metallica concert than you could at a twi fellowship. Sure, there were some cool people here and there...but most of them were sorry arsed losers.

We have to stop meeting like this...people might start talking. :biglaugh: But if it was so bad as you make it out, WHY the F.....K didn't you get (OUT)?? :asdf: I mean if WD/OM and others have to defend the pros and cons of all the years and tears (AYT), WHY, when it was so obvious THEN, does it take so many MORE years of recrimination NOW??? Because mon ami, it's called Cyber Cult Addiction! (Grumpy actually has an advanced degree from the University of Little People on the subject and is currently working on his PhD. Thesis!) :biglaugh:

And finally just for thought... IF your Brothers & Sisters in Christ (BSC) were 'arsed losers" when you met them face to face... IMAGINE what they're REALLY like in Cyber Space as OLD Retired CULT HasBeens! :( (ORCH) :)

It's not so bad to help folks that are down and out ... but to work hard just to get numbers up in a little twig or class was kinda crazy. So sometimes people got drug in that just wanted attention or refreshments ... or young women.

I don't like to classify folks as "losers", but I did say we were suckers, at least on this cult issue. The "sucker" part to me was accepting so much authority "from above" without demanding accountability. And giving money without knowing where it was really going. There were a lot of good suckers people that fellowshipped ...

Dr. Bumpy may have a point ... still, the cyber bar can be a fun place to hang out where they serve cheap drinks. And it's good to have some characters around to give the joint "atmosphere". Maybe it is better to chat with them without meeting them face to face. This way we can all pretend to be young and beautiful. :dance:

In the nineties attendance was an issue. You had to call and explain why you couldn't make it.

Did the FC call you or file a report with the higher-ups? Just curious. If it was put in writing, it's probably in a file somewhere.

JT

I was obviously very busy, and he was trying to chat about his stupid Fellowship. "What a class act", I remember thinking. "Join another fellowship" my a**! I'd rather go get tied up and whipped at the local Fetish Night!

I think the fetish thing was reserved for Way Corps only. :biglaugh:

JT

We have to stop meeting like this...people might start talking. :biglaugh: But if it was so bad as you make it out, WHY the F.....K didn't you get (OUT)?? :asdf: I mean if WD/OM and others have to defend the pros and cons of all the years and tears (AYT), WHY, when it was so obvious THEN, does it take so many MORE years of recrimination NOW??? Because mon ami, it's called Cyber Cult Addiction! (Grumpy actually has an advanced degree from the University of Little People on the subject and is currently working on his PhD. Thesis!) :biglaugh:

And finally just for thought... IF your Brothers & Sisters in Christ (BSC) were 'arsed losers" when you met them face to face... IMAGINE what they're REALLY like in Cyber Space as OLD Retired CULT HasBeens! :( (ORCH) :)

First, there is no question about it being "as bad as you make out". Just look at the legal issues about TWI, the old Waydale site, and look at the testimonies of people here. It was my impression that one of the main purpose of GSC is to provide a place where people can get support and share their experiences of TWI. Second, I DID "just get out".

If you have a problem with reading these posts, my advice is to simply ignore them. Also, it is not really "recrimination". I addressed this issue on another thread, but I'll share it here as well. Speaking just for myself, I am not posting here because I have not "moved on", or because of "recrimination". I am here because for years, I had no one to talk to about TWI whatsoever. People who had not experienced it had absolutely no clue about what I was I was talking about. For years, I also wondered if my experiences were typical, or if I had somehow "caused" my experiences. After reading other people's acounts, I realize that it WAS typical. This was important to me, and I feel that it is important to others in the same situation. If people have a need or desire to discuss these issues, by all means let them. Why should someone say they shouldn't?

I'd like t o make another point: TWI had their "say" EVERY DAY I was involved. I was not allowed to have my say. Now I can. Now I will. If this is a problem for anyone, I do apologize. But just as I do not try to dictate what others say here, I will not have it imposed on me.

One thing some people just don't seem to understand is that for a spiritual person, there is someone far more damaging about having the "Word of God" twisted and used to abuse you, than the usual negative things that happen in our daily life.

I am happy that some people had very positive and enlightening experiences in TWI. Not all of us did. I do not judge their topics and/or reasons for posting. They need to accord me and others the same consideration.

Did the FC call you or file a report with the higher-ups? Just curious. If it was put in writing, it's probably in a file somewhere.

JT

I think the fetish thing was reserved for Way Corps only. :biglaugh:

JT

I don't know if the HFC kept records about attendance, but i think there was something like a fellowship secretary. I do know the HFC reported back to the higher ups about us.

We requested several times over 6 or so years to go to a different fellowship in our branch which was just blocks away from our home as opposed to clear on the other side of a large city, a 30 to 45 minute drive each way. We were denied because our HFC was 'working' with us on various issues, so we had to stay there to grow etc.

People pay big bucks to go to some shrink that tells them how to interpret what mommy and daddy did to them when they were four.

It seems we can learn a lot by reviewing what led us to follow a "self possessed" man for 10 to 20 years ... and in review, there is much to be learned about ourselves and human nature in general.

It was our youth, it was our own personal "demons", it was a lot of things ... maybe it was mommy and daddy's fault :evildenk:

But the reflection and counseling here is cheap, and so are the drinks, and the company is as good as any bar I've hung out at ... :beer:

Edited by rhino

I can't speak for anyone else, but I didn't leave until my husband wanted to. He is older than I and was in during the early seventies and wanted to hang on until things got better. So I hung in with him for several years because I didn't want to force a divorce and hellish custody issues like I'd seen happen to others who were not 'like minded'.

My children were young, we would have had years of custody issues ahead of us. Plus my husband is a great guy I love, I didn't want to lose him and be a lonely single mom with kids who were harmed by all the trauma. In my particular area you just didn't stay married to a cop out, and one or the other of us would have been made the devil spirit possessed bad one( me, I'm sure.) Hubby helped me keep the kids out of the HF drama so I wasn't forced to choose, and they were too young to stay up late for weeknight fellowships or take the class.

Eventually he had enough.

Howdy, Doc

I totally get what you are saying.

Yeah, I saw stuff happen but I wondered if it was a one time thing or unique to a particular area or whatever.

And, of course, there was no internet at the time, just a truck stop(Wayside Truck Stop) down the street that offered an excuse to take a walk and talk privately.

When I left in about 1991, I just kinda slipped away unnoticed. I always felt guilty because I had let God down by leaving the "one true household".

No Mas, Mi Amigo!

Now I know I didn't leave the household, I dumped a CULT!.

Post on, brother.

Don't let the naysayers get your goat.

waysider

I am happy that some people had very positive and enlightening experiences in TWI. Not all of us did. I do not judge their topics and/or reasons for posting. They need to accord me and others the same consideration.

Nice post Doc. I have no bitterness either way except the wrong team won Euro 2008.

But since you're setting me up here, my lone observation is that GS is basically a TWI Hate Site. Those that have something "positive" to say are not, IMO, accorded a very polite or even handed reception. And some will say quite openly, why should they because they suffered like you?

I don't care either way as I have no ax to grind, but certain people get run out of town here real fast and who knows what they might have ended up contributing?

For me, people can rant and rave all they want about their past issues and hopefully find understanding and closure. Otherwise it's probably time for more serious medication.

But sometimes, as you can see from my post, it gets to a point after so many repetitions, to ask that individual the same simple question...Why? Which I did.

Bon Nuit le bump

... my lone observation is that GS is basically a TWI Hate Site. Those that have something "positive" to say are not, IMO, accorded a very polite or even handed reception. And some will say quite openly, why should they because they suffered like you?

For me, people can rant and rave all they want about their past issues and hopefully find understanding and closure. Otherwise it's probably time for more serious medication.

But sometimes, as you can see from my post, it gets to a point after so many repetitions, to ask that individual the same simple question...Why? Which I did.

Bon Nuit le bump

While some come here holding stronger feelings ... G-spot is telling the other side of the story. I don't think most here that left 20 years ago are hateful ... but do recognize the scam that was TWI.

But really GS doesn't tell "the other side" as I see it ... TWI supporters tell the story of the facade ... G-spot exposes what the real structure was/is constructed of.

Those that are supportive of TWI don't last long ... because they are delusional, and those delusions will meet with confrontation here. What could they have to offer on the topic of this website?

WD and Oldies have discussed other subjects where I agree with them a little ... I feel nor hate toward them ... those that are still in TWI ... why would they come here? Some that did come here ... left TWI ... that makes this a site of deliverance, not hate.

But TWI may hate that ... :evildenk:

One thing some people just don't seem to understand is that for a spiritual person, there is someone far more damaging about having the "Word of God" twisted and used to abuse you, than the usual negative things that happen in our daily life.

I thought this bore repeating...

Thanks, Doc!

I don't know if the HFC kept records about attendance, but i think there was something like a fellowship secretary. I do know the HFC reported back to the higher ups about us.

Someone mentioned this earlier, too... The position of "fellowship secretary" did exist, at least in some fellowships (like mine.) We kept records, so I am supposing that other fellowships did as well.

While some come here holding stronger feelings ... G-spot is telling the other side of the story. I don't think most here that left 20 years ago are hateful ... but do recognize the scam that was TWI.

But really GS doesn't tell "the other side" as I see it ... TWI supporters tell the story of the facade ... G-spot exposes what the real structure was/is constructed of.

Those that are supportive of TWI don't last long :wave: ... because they are delusional, :drink: and those delusions will meet with confrontation here. :realmad: What could they have to offer on the topic of this website? :nono5:

WD and Oldies have discussed other subjects where I agree with them a little :yawn1: ... I feel nor hate toward them :evildenk: ... those that are still in TWI ... why would they come here? Some that did come here ... left TWI ... that makes this a site of deliverance, :love3: not hate. :evilshades:

But TWI may hate that ... :evildenk:

QUOTE(DocHoliday @ Jun 29 2008, 05:07 PM)

I agree! Nothing more hurtful and hard to untangle than when people use the Word of God which is supposed to bring healing and is supposed to be words of LIFE to instead hurt you and squelch or kill off parts of your soul.

After about 3 years I am finally starting get whole in some categories and I can read the Bible with excitement instead of with condemnation.