GreaseSpot Cafe

Name that hymn

Cynic

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, the church being mentioned as the bride of Christ instead of the body(blame Bullinger for that heresy). The re-translated English text from Chinese is O Christ, our great foundation. Tune is Aurelia(Latin for golden). Interestingly that tune was used for "O Word of God, Incarnate" instead of Munich and is ironic considering TWI and its off-shoots reject Jesus being deity loved that hymn text.Cynic or George, you're up next.

Here are three stanzas from the next hymn:

When, with wasting sickness worn,

Sinking to the grave I lie,

Or, by sudden anguish torn,

Startled nature dreads to die,

Startled nature dreads to die.

Jesus, my redeeming Lord,

Be Thou then in mercy near!

Let Thy smile of love afford

Full relief from all my fear,

Full relief from all my fear.

Firmly trusting in Thy blood,

Nothing shall my heart confound;

Safely I shall pass the flood,

Safely reach Emmanuel’s ground,

Safely reach Emmanuel’s ground.

Is it "Ask one thing and it shall be"? or "Take my life and let it be"? I need to start bringing my hymnals home with me from church.

The hymn is “Christ of All My Hopes the Ground,” written by Ralph Wardlaw.

http://cyberhymnal.org/htm/c/o/cofallmy.htm

Here’s another one from the Scottish Psalter that is included in some hymnals:

His wide dominion shall extend

From sea to shining sea,

And unto earth’s remotest bounds

His peaceful rule shall be.

Yea, all the kings shall bow to Him,

His rule all nations hail;

He will regard the poor man’s cry

When other helpers fail.

And blessèd be His glorious Name

To all eternity;

The whole earth let His glory fill,

Amen, so let it be.

Tune: Dundee

http://cyberhymnal.org/mid/d/u/n/dundee.mid

Edited by Cynic

Cynic, found the tune Dundee in Lutheran Book of Worship to 2 different texts: My God, how wonderful thou art(Frederick Faber) and You are the way; through you alone(George Doane), and Service Book and Hymnal-According to thy gracious word(James Montgomery). But not to the lyrics you supplied. Told you I needed to bring home more different hymnals from other denominations. :biglaugh: . They happen to be in my office library at church. I better bring my Methodist(1989), Moravian(1995), Episcopal(1982), Presbyterian(1990), Hymns for the Family of God(1975), Worship-3rd edition(Roman Catholic/GIA, 1986), Evangelical and Reformed(1942), and Missouri's Lutheran Service Book(2006). If most of them are not found in these 10 hymnals(got more at church but don't want to clutter up the house), then I will cry "uncle" :blink: :unsure: :wacko: :asdf::drink::CUSSING::realmad::confused::doh:

Edited by Thomas Loy Bumgarner

My hymnal companions(books) are Lutheran Book of Worship-Marilyn Stulken; Hymnal 1982-Raymond Glover; United Methodist Hymnal-Carlton Young; New Century- Arthur Clyde; Presbyterian-Linda McKim.

Cynic, you never did give the title of the hymn. I give up. If it is from Trinity or Psalter Hymnals(last is from CRC denomination), I don't have those books. You do know hymnals are not cheap to purchase. I do have Quaker, LDS, and Unitarian-Universalists because they are not normally refered.

The Gloria Patri is not strickly a hymn but liturgical service music. Tunes include Henry Greatorex, Meinecke, plainsong(Regina Fryxell), Henry Smart, Harold Gilbert, Lutheran Book of Worship, Hymnal 1982. " Join hands then, people of the faith, whatever your race may be; Who serves my Father as a child is surely kin to me."Sung to McKee or St. Peter.

Already had posted the next hymn. added quotation marks to the stanza.

another stanza: In him shall true hearts everywhere their high communion find; His service is the golden cord close binding humanity.

Lyrics by John Oxenham. Tune #1 McKee-Negor Spiritual, arranged by Harry Burleigh; Tune #2 St. Peter-Alexander Reinagle. Both are Common Meter.

Title is "In Christ there is no East or West, In Him no South or North". Cynic, thought you or George would have gotten this one. Will post another later on today or tommorrow.

George, that is alright. I thought Cynic would have responded as I gave 2 stanzas(proper term, not verse) plus tunes/melodies and composers and the author of the text/lyrics.

So bring him incense, gold and myrrh;Come peasant, king, to own himthe King of kings salvation brings; Let loving hearts enthrone him. Raise the song on high, the virgin sings her lullaby; Joy for Christ is born. the babe, the son of Mary. Lyrics by William Dix. Tune is Greensleeves/English ballad.

Meant to separate the words him and the. Wish my laptop would give me spelling alerts!

I recalled the words “This, this is Christ the King” being in a hymn (which is sung as a Christmas carol) set to Greensleeves, but I couldn’t remember the first line. I searched for the hymn, and am disqualifying myself, because it turns out that the stanza you posted is part of it.

Hymn is "What Child is This". I posted the 3rd stanza.