GreaseSpot Cafe

Name that hymn

Cynic

Omitting the 1st six words:#1. On your people pour your power; Crown your ancient Church's story; Bring its bud to glorious flower. xxxxxxxx For the facing of this hour.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would it help if those six words found in every stanza were supplied? "Grant us wisdom, grant us courage". Remeber you have until 12 noon tommorrow(Thursday) to answer this.

Time is up. Title is God of Grace and God of Glory. Will next post on Saturday.

Next one is an evening hymn in Long meter; tune is Tallis Canon by Thomas Tallis(British, 1505-1585); Lyrics by Thomas Ken(Anglican priest, 1637-1711). xxxxxxxxfor all the blessings of the light. Oh keep me now, O King of kings, beneath your own almighty wings.

stanza 2: Forgive me, Lord for your dear Son the ill that I this day have done;That with the world , my self and you Before I sleep, at peace may be. 3: Teach me to live, that I may dread the grave as little as my bed. Teach me to die, that so I may rise glorious at the dawning day.

O may my soul in you repose, and may sweet sleep mine eyelids close, sleep that shall me more vigorous make to serve my God when I awake!

Title is "All praise to you, my God this night". Will post another hymn on Friday.

Lets try a contemporary praise song by Bill Gaither, written in 1972. He and wife Gloria wrote Because He Lives, and He Touched Me. This song is 2 stanzas(found in both Hymns for the Family of God, Paragon Associates Inc. form Nashville,TN 1976; and Celebration Hymnal, Integrity and Word Music 1995). #1. O we thank you for your kindness, we thank you for your love. We have been in heavenly places, felt blessings from above; We have been sharing all the good things the family can afford, #2. Just the precious name of Jesus is worthy of our praise; Let us bow our knees before him, our hands to heaven raise; When he comes in clouds of glory, with him to ever reign,Let's just lift our voices and praise his name.

Nor I, though I recognize only a smattering of Gaither songs & hymns.

I just found this. You folks have been having fun and I didn't know!

A bit more contemporary than most submissions here, but this is a fave. Fourth stanza.

O Cross that liftest up my head,

I dare not ask to fly from thee;

I lay in dust life’s glory dead,

And from the ground there blossoms red

Life that shall endless be.

The Gaither song is titled "Let's just praise the Lord". He also wrote I believe in a place called Mount Calvary. Evan, the song you posted is "O love that will not let me go" by George Matheson; tune is St. Margret by Albert Peace. Will post another hymn tommorrow.

Next Hymn is an English translation from a German Chorale, trans. by Robert Seymour Bridges and Edward Cassell. One tune is from the Geneva psalter called O signeur. The more familar tune is Laudes Domini by Joseph Barnaby, with a metrical index of 666666. parts of the following stanzas 2-6, omitting certain words that would automaticly give it away. #2. When mirth for music longs, this is my song of songs........God's holy house of prayer has none that can compare.......#3. To him my highest and best I sing when love possesed;.......What ever my hands begin the blessing shall break in.......#4. No lovelier antiphon in all high heaven is known.......There is the eternal Word the eternal psalm is heard.......#5. Let all of humanity in this their concord find.......Let all the earth around ring joyous with the sound.......#6. Sing sun and stars in space, sing all who see His face.......God's whole creation over, today and evermore, shall Jesus Christ be praised!

Edited by Thomas Loy Bumgarner

Stanza #1:....... My heart awaking cries .......When evening shadows fall, this rings my curfew call. Alternate words are : a like at work and prayer to Jesus I repair. Does sadness fill my mind? a solace here I find, or fades my earthly bliss? my comfort still is this. the night becomes as day when from the heart we say, the powers of darkness fear when this sweet chant they hear. You nations of humanity in this your oneness find; let all the earth around ring joyous with the sound. Be this while life is mine, my canticle divine: Be this the eternal song through all the ages long. Will give the title on Thursday.

Title is When Morning Gilds the Skies.

The following is not a hymn, but rather a Contemporary praise song written by Jennie Lee Riddle and recorded by Kari Jobe called Revelation Song. Worthy is the Lamb who was slain; Holy, holy is He; sing a new song to Him whos sits on heaven's mercy seat. Refrain: Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty who was and is and is to come; with all creation I sing praise to the King of kings; you are my everything and I will adore you. Clothed in rainbows of living color flashes of lightning, rolls of thunder; Blessing and honor, strength and glory and power be to you, the only wise King. Refrain. Filled with awestruck wonder at the mention of your name; Jesus, your name is power, breath and living water, such a marvelous mystery, yeah. Sing refrain 3 times. Will post a new mystery hymn on Monday.

Let's try a Thanksgiving hymn. Words by Henry Alford(1810-1871) and music by George Elvey(1816-1893). Tune is St. Georges' Windsor and metrical index is 7777D. omitting first line, Stanza 1. All is safely gathered in before the winter storms begin. God our maker does provide for our wants to be supplied. Come to God's own temple now raise the song of harvest home.

Stanza 2. All the world is God's own field, fruit unto his praise to yield, wheat and tares together sown, unto joy or sorrow grown. First the blade and then the ear, then the full corn shall appear. Lord of harvest, grant that we, wholesome grain and pure may be.

stanza 3. For the Lord our God shall come and shall take his harvest home. From his field shall in that day all offenses purge away. Give His angels charge at last in the fire the tares to cast, but the fruitful ears to store in his silo evermore.

stanza 4. Even so, Lord quickly come to your final harvest home; gather all your people in, free from sorrow, free from sin, there forever purified, in your garner to abide, come with all your angels, come; raise the glorious harvst home.

Hello, anyone home? George, Cynic, Twinky, Evan? may have to get Ghost Hunters :biglaugh: . giving everyone until 7pm tommorrow before giving title.