GreaseSpot Cafe

Name that hymn

Cynic

Extra clues are Author/translator is John Wade/Frederick Oakley, tune is of French origin; 7 stanzas of which 4 are familar; this is a Christmas hymn. Hope these clues help you George.

Edited by Thomas Loy Bumgarner

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

George, you gave Latin(which Wierwille said don't bother learning it)). Tiune is Adeste Fidelis. If you had given stanzas 2, 3, or 4 in English, I think some of the others would have gotten it. Told George I would wait until tonight. Title is "O come, all you faithful". Will post next Advent hymn on Thursday.

Instead of posting more guess what Advent hymns, I will list the titles:

The Advent of our God

O Lord, how shall I meet you

Come o precious ransom come

Rejoice all believers

Prepare the royal highway

Keep your lamps trimmed and burning

Did you feel the mountains tremble

I looked up and I saw my Lord coming

Lo! He comes with clouds descending

Days of Elijah

Savior of the nations come

Comfort, now all my people

Come now long expected Jesus

Wake, awake for night is flying/Sleepers awke, a voice astounds us

Lift up you gates/Fling wide the door

The King shall come when morning dawns

O come, o come Emmanuel

Hark the Glad sound

On Jordan's Banks the Baptist Cries

Hark! a thrilling voice is sounding

O Savior rend the heavens wide

Once He came in blessing

Light one candle to watch for Messiah

Awake, awake and greet the new morn

Lost in the night

Creator of the stars of night/O Lord who made the strary skies

Come now O Prince of peace

People look East, the time is near

Blessed be the God of Israel

Hosanna through Advent

My soul proclaims your greatness

Sing out my soul

Each winter as the year grows older

He came down that we may have life

There's a voice in the wilderness crying

Wait for the Lord whose day is near

The Angel Gabriel from heaven came

All Earth is hopeful/waiting

This most but not all or every single Advent hymn. An early Merry Christmas. Will post some familiar Nativity hymns between the 26th and 30th, and again from January 2-5. Feliz Navidad, Froeliche Weinachten.

ps Bon Noel, Buon Natale

Since George tried to stump you all with Latin of O Come, all you faithful(Adeste Fidelis), I thought I would take a familar Christmas/Nativity hymn and post it in 2 foreign languages(Cynic and George, give others a chance to answer this by December 26, afterwards either of you may reply). Franz Joseph Mohr(1792-1848), A Tyrolean Catholic priest. Translated by John Young(1820-1885). Melody/tune by Franz Xavier Gruber(1787-1863), organist. Metrical index=668866. Stille nacht, helige nacht! Alles Schlaft, einsam wacht, nur das traute, hochheilige paar: holder knabe in lockogen haar, Schlaf in himmlischer ruf(repeat line). Twinky or Evan, or anyone else. Take a guess. Will post more later on today.

The other 2 stanzas in German/Deutsche. 2.Stille nacht, heilige nacht! Hirten erst kundgemacht, durch den Engel Hallelujah tont es laut von fern und nah; Christ der Retter ist da(repeat line). 3.(same opening words) Gottes Sohn, o wie lacht lieb uns deinem gottlichen mund, da uns schlagt die rettende stund, Christ, in deiner geburt(repeat last line). Now in Spanish/Espanol: 1. Noche de paz, noche de amor! todo duerme en derredor, entre los astros que esparcen su luz, bella anunciando al nino Jesus brilla la estrella de paz(repeat). 2.(same opening words) Oye humilde el fiel pastor coros celestes que anuncian salud, gracias y glorias en gran plenitud, por nuestro buen Redentor(repeat). 3.(same opening 6 words) Ved que bello resplandor luce en el rostro del nino Jesus en el pesebre, del mundo la luz, astro de eterno fulgor(repeat).

I am now granting either George of Cynic to answer this one(hint the 2nd stanza in English was a;ready given in an earlier post). Merry Christmas :P :D :lol: :) :beer::drink::wave::anim-smile::eusa_clap:

Silent Night is the correct answer.

will list Christmas hymns on Monday(both familar and new).

What child is this

O little town of Bethlem

Of the Father's love begotten

Infant holy, infant lowly

O come, all you faithful

Once again my heart rejoices

Let all together praise our God

All praise to you, eternal Lord

O Savior of our Fallen race

Angels from the realms of glory

From Heaven above to Earth I come

Your little ones dear Lord are we

Cold December flies away

It came upon the midnight clear

Good Christian Friends rejoice

The first Noel/Nowell

Let our gladness have no end

Lo how a rose 'eer blooming

When Christmas morn is dawning

Hark! the hearld angels sing

The hills are bare at Bethlehem

The bells of Christmas chime once more

From shepherding of stars

From East to West, from shore

Silent Night

Come rejoicing, praises voicing

Away in a manger

He whom shepherds once came praising

I am so glad each Christmas eve

Go tell it on the mountain

Angels we have heard on high

Twas in the moon of wintertime

All hail to you, o blessed morn

A stable lamp is lighted

Once in royal David's city

On Christmas night all Christians sing

Midnight stars make bright the skies

Peace came to Earth

Love has come-a light in the darkness

That Boy-Child of Mary

In the Bleak midwinter

Jesus, what a wonderful child

O sing of Christ whose birth

Where shepherds lately knelt

O Jesus Christ, your manger is

See amid the winter snow

Gentle Mary laid her child

Break forth, o beauteous heavenly light

God loves me dearly

Isn't He beautiful?

That beautiful name

I heard the bells on Christmas day

How great our joy

While shepherds watched their flocks

O hearken you who would believe

Sing we now of Christmas

The birthday of the King

Mary did you know that your baby boy

O Holy night

There's a song in the air

Morning Star, what cheering sight

All is Christmas

This is Christmas

Like a rose in winter

while not every Christmas hymn and song, proably more than TWI, S&TFI, CFFM, etc. would ever be familar.

Meant to add : The snow laid on the ground; and Love came down at Christmas. Epiphany guessing hymns this weekend.

Returning to the original purpose of this thread. Next hymn is from Epiphany. words are by William Dix(1837-1898). Tune is Dix(based on German chorale Truer Heiland) by conrad Kocher(1786-1872). Metrical index is 777777. omitting the first 6 words, Stanza 1. did the guiding star behold; as with joy they hailed its light, leading onward beaming bright; so most gracious Lord may we evermore be led to you. 2. As with joyful steps they sped, Savior to your lowly bed, there to bend on lowly kneel before you whom heaven and earth adore; so may we with willing feet ever seek your mercy seat. Will post the other 3 stanzas tommorrow afternoon.

stanza 3. As they offered gifts most rare at the cradle, rude and bare, so may we with holy joy, pure and free from sin's alloy, all our costliest treasures bring, Christ to you our heavenly king. 4. Holy Jesus, every day keep us in the narrow way; and when earthly things are past, bring our ransomed souls at last where they need no star to guide, where no clouds your glory hide. 5. In the heavenly country bright need they no created light; You it's light, it's joy, it's crown, you its sun which goes not down; there forever may we sing Alleluias to our King. Giving all of you until Thursday morning to reply. O btw, Happy New Year 2009. Thomas

gave you everything but the title as clues. should have been familar to some one out here in GSC. If by mid Thursday morning no one has an answer, then I will reveal it. got over 24 hours.

As with Gladness, men of old

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I haven't been back to this topic. In a similar vein(vain?), the next hymn is by John Hopkins, in e minor with refrain in G Major. It is 5 stanzas with metrical index of 88446. Omitting first 6 words: 1.bearing gifts we travel so far-field and fountain, moor and mountain-following yonder star(will give refrain at end of post). 2. Born a king on Bethlehem's plain; gold I bring to crown him again, king forever, ceasing never over us to reign. 3. Frankincense to offer have I; Incense owns a deity near. Prayer and praising, all people raising, worship him, God on high. 4. Myrruh is mine: its bitter perfume breathes a life of gathering gloom- sorrowing, sighing, bleeding, dying, sealed in the stone cold tomb. 5. Glorious nowbehold Him rise, King and God and sacrifice; Alleluia(repeat)! Earth to heaven replies. Will give until Friday for you to determine the title. Otherwise, I will give the refrain then, and then 24 hours to give final guess.

Cynic, Evan, Twinky, or anyone else want to hazzard a guess? The winner gets to take a trip to Las Vegas(notice I didn't say I would pay for it :biglaugh: )

ah, doesn't anyone want to play with me? :biglaugh: Will give the refrain(oh btw Kyrs you can use any hymnal or songbook of Christian origin, including sing Along The Way, or from CR&F, CFFM, S&TFI, COF, Emmaus Road Bible Fellowship, etc.). OH, Star of Wonder, star of night, star with royal beauty bright; westward leading, still proceeding, guide us to your perfect light. Title will be revealed on Friday.

The answer to the last hymn is We 3 Kings of Orient Are. I am sorry that most of you chose not to participate. Again any hymnal or Christian Songbook(TWI or offshoots/splinter groups) or Contemporary Praise Music from WOW Worship Songbooks(red, green, blue, orange, yellow, aquamarine, purple, brown); Integrity's Worship Together series or its predessor Hosana/Alleuia; Maranatha Praise Chorus books, etc. would have been allowable.