GreaseSpot Cafe

Best way to lose weight

Sudo

New book:

The End of Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite

By David A Kessler, MD.

-----------

This book is OUTSTANDING!

Kessler synthesizes a lot of research studies into very meaningful, easy to grasp, insights that will make the light go on in a big way.

With an understanding of WHY and HOW the American food industry has manipulated (many of) us to make many foods IRRESISTABLE, it can be easier (and it is for me) to take control of your (my) appetite.

The End of Overeating at Amazon.com

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rocky, your info made me think of what one of my students related to me. She and her husband lived in Scotland for 5 years while he worked on his PhD. They visited many places in Europe. When they returned to the U. S. it was culture shock acclimating to the mega this and that from department stores to restaurants. She said the Europeans would never believe the portions served in restaurants here in the U. S.

Rocky, your info made me think of what one of my students related to me. She and her husband lived in Scotland for 5 years while he worked on his PhD. They visited many places in Europe. When they returned to the U. S. it was culture shock acclimating to the mega this and that from department stores to restaurants. She said the Europeans would never believe the portions served in restaurants here in the U. S.

I can understand that. There are a couple of times in my life when I've undergone some culture shock.

I spent about 3 years on a small island in the Atlantic Ocean (Terceira, Azores). When I returned to the US it was significantly shocking.

In my mid 20s, I spent a year (as a WOW) in a small town in northern Ohio. When I returned to real life in Phoenix, AZ after that, I was REALLY shocked, culturally.

===========

Anyway, two other important American food industry items to note:

a new documentary movie is scheduled for release in June (in selected cities), titled Food, Inc.

and (apparently released in 2008) another book, In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan.

=========

Btw, I have found myself feeling wonderfully liberated (from my appetite) since I started reading Kessler's book.

Btw, I have found myself feeling wonderfully liberated (from my appetite) since I started reading Kessler's book.

Just a brief note of appreciation for your post Rocky. I've ordered the book, and I'm looking forward to reading it.

I just dropped by today and was soooo happy to see that lots of us have had success in losing and maintaining weight. Since this thread started, I've lost 15 of the 20 lbs. that I'd gained--this since Dec. 28, 2008. I'm still losing and am not stressed at all about the last 5 coming off.

Kudos to everyone in the wt. loss dept! :B)

I am within lbs of my ideal weight. I've lost right about 150 lbs since this thread started. My goal was a line from a Beatles' Song, "I'm just half the man I used to be" I was about a 55 inch waist and now comfortably wear 36 inch waist pants. I've gone from only being able to shop at Big and Tall Shops to not being allowed in.

I am within lbs of my ideal weight. I've lost right about 150 lbs since this thread started. My goal was a line from a Beatles' Song, "I'm just half the man I used to be" I was about a 55 inch waist and now comfortably wear 36 inch waist pants. I've gone from only being able to shop at Big and Tall Shops to not being allowed in.

:eusa_clap::eusa_clap::eusa_clap:

I'm so happy for you!

I'm late in joining this party but here is my two cents... I started a diet plan back in January. It was given to me by a personal trainer/nutritionist. Basically it is high protein and green veggies, low-low-low carbs, no fat, no salt, and tons of water, all broken into several small meals each day. This we did for three weeks, then once a week we added a low-glycemic, high fiber carb meal so the body didn't go into "starvation" mode for the rest of the program (a total of eight weeks). Then you go off the strict diet just to give yourself a mental break. You can go back after two weeks if you want.

For exercise, three times a week we would go to the gym and warm up with cardio, then do weight-training to build muscle mass, then warm down with cardio. Three other days we were asked to do something cardio for 30 minutes. And we were told to take one day off a week.

We kept track of our pounds and inches lost. All of us in the program got amazing results!! And while I haven't done the actual diet or exercise plan since, I still eat several small meals a day, drink almost nothing but water, and stay active. I have not gained anything back, in fact I've continued to lose about a pound a month.

The whole package, he told us, comes down to this: get your metabolism cranking, feed your body the right balance of healthy stuff so it knows it doesn't have to hold onto the fat it has stored, and build muscles (they burn more calories than other tissues or fat does). If you can do all those things at the same time, you WILL lose weight and prime your body to keep it off down the road. I am convinced he knows what he is talking about... I am 25 pounds down, and ready to start working on the next 25!!

Congrats to everyone here who is doing whatever they need to do to lose weight and get healthy!!!!

THW

I'm late in joining this party but here is my two cents... I started a diet plan back in January. It was given to me by a personal trainer/nutritionist. Basically it is high protein and green veggies, low-low-low carbs, no fat, no salt, and tons of water, all broken into several small meals each day. This we did for three weeks, then once a week we added a low-glycemic, high fiber carb meal so the body didn't go into "starvation" mode for the rest of the program (a total of eight weeks). Then you go off the strict diet just to give yourself a mental break. You can go back after two weeks if you want.

For exercise, three times a week we would go to the gym and warm up with cardio, then do weight-training to build muscle mass, then warm down with cardio. Three other days we were asked to do something cardio for 30 minutes. And we were told to take one day off a week.

We kept track of our pounds and inches lost. All of us in the program got amazing results!! And while I haven't done the actual diet or exercise plan since, I still eat several small meals a day, drink almost nothing but water, and stay active. I have not gained anything back, in fact I've continued to lose about a pound a month.

The whole package, he told us, comes down to this: get your metabolism cranking, feed your body the right balance of healthy stuff so it knows it doesn't have to hold onto the fat it has stored, and build muscles (they burn more calories than other tissues or fat does). If you can do all those things at the same time, you WILL lose weight and prime your body to keep it off down the road. I am convinced he knows what he is talking about... I am 25 pounds down, and ready to start working on the next 25!!

Congrats to everyone here who is doing whatever they need to do to lose weight and get healthy!!!!

THW

Same insight has been shared on this thread repeatedly. It works.

People have obtained said insight in various ways, but it all really boils down to that. And in the long run, to keep it off, a person will have to develop eating habits beyond any structured diet.

Congrats. :)