GreaseSpot Cafe

On their way to Yankee Stadium

kimberly

I just returned home from the Amtrak station. I am sending my 25 and 15 year old boys to the Yankees game on Saturday. They will travel to my aunt's house in NJ. She lives only an hour from the stadium. Her neighbor has season passes. So all four will leave early Saturday morning (he drives to the games), tailgate and see the game.

This trip was to be our family vacation earlier in the summer but a near fatal accident in the family changed all that. I was bound and determined to keep my promise to our youngest son that he would see Yankee Stadium before it was torn down. At times it looked like there was no way to work out the trip. I was to go with him but now that school has started it was not possible. My 25 year old has never been to Yankee Stadium either.

I am a very sentimental person and the thought of not seeing and experiencing one of the greatest monuments that make America what it is troubled me. Ahhh, I think of the feet that have graced that ground that makes it hallowed. Seriously, if I entered Yankee Stadium I think I would fall to my knees in reverence. My boys feel the same and are going to experience this together. They will have this with them always. Of all the places we have been, I feel like my boys are on THE trip of a lifetime.

And they will show their grandchildren the ticket stub and say, "Yep, I was there."

It was funny when my son told the school he was going to miss a couple of days they were displeased and wanted to know why. When he explained to the principal the attitude changed. "Well, son you have to do this. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity." I gave him a few extra bucks to get something for the principal.

Thanks for letting me share this.

I am a very sentimental person and the thought of not seeing and experiencing one of the greatest monuments that make America what it is troubled me. Ahhh, I think of the feet that have graced that ground that makes it hallowed. Seriously, if I entered Yankee Stadium I think I would fall to my knees in reverence. My boys feel the same and are going to experience this together.

Seems like a lot of you has rubbed off on them. Normally I think the more sentimental people are the older ones like me because we remember a lot of the history of these monuments, even if like me in this case, we've never actually been there. When someone in their teens or 20s has a grip on the sentimentality of the history of something like this, it has to come from somewhere.

Thanks for sharing that.

Im a Sox fan so I have the same feelings about Fenway--but I DO understand the feeling and the sentiment.

We have had a recurring conversation over the last year or so here about Yankee Stadium--personally I find it hard to believe that its being replaced. Its like tearing down the Vatican to build a newer one but they are doing waht they are doing.

Its a very insightful and thoughtful act to make sure your sons get there before it closes for good...i hope that it lives up to the 'experience of a lifetime ' for them. As much as its ingrained in me from birth (I am a RedSox fan after-all) to not like it there, there is something very rich deep and textured in the old ballparks that new ones can never have..I can never quite put a finger on it, maybe its the history,-- the ghosts, --or knowing that you are looking at a field where Ruth and Dimaggio and Gehrig and Mantle played and had their glory days, or where there was a perfect game in the World Series, or a thousand memorable events. I really dont know-- but it is palpable and real in those old places and always makes it worth the effort to go. Your doing a good thing for your sons...as a baseball fan I'll say thanks to you..

Best of luck with the accident recovery situation as well

As all the 'regulars' here know, I grew up with Yankee Stadium, before moving west. There really is no place like it.

I was 10 before my parents took me down there from Connecticut, but my first time there is one of the treasured memories of my childhood. Seeing the field for the first time, the grandeur, the history-it's hard to define but it's there. ( It also didn't hurt that I was seeing Mickey Mantle, Roger Maris, Yogi Berra, etc. play).

It is amazing to me that it's going , going, gone. I'm glad you're boys are going, Kimberly-they'll be glad they did.

I sometimes forget how deep Yankee hatred runs with Sox fans, even though I grew up on the Mason Dixon line in Connecticut. I never for a second thought I wouldn't love to go to Fenway.

I grew up in the Bronx so the Yanks were my team. The first time was just magnificent... the old facade which was torn down many years ago was my favorite. Dad had box seats right behind first base -- $4.00 each. The game that was perhaps the most memorable for me was in 1968, I think it was Mantle's last game in Yankee Stadium. He hit 2 homers against the Minnesota Twins but the Yanks lost the game, and I remember the newpaper caption the next day: "Minnesota 3, Mickey Mantle 2".

Ive said before (on the other thread) that Ive been there a few times over the years, The best was walking into it for the first time.

After seeing games at comparatively tiny Fenway I couldnt believe how massive it was when I first walked in, it was huge!

The old monuments then IN centerfield, the facade and the incredible steepness of the deck that I was in all made an impression on me.

This was before the 70's renovation--old centerfield seemed a mile away.

There was an oldtimers game that day and Joe Dimaggio lined a single to center. Im too young to have seen him in his playing day prime, but thats a memory that I'll ever forget. Seeing Joe D hit-- he was as graceful at the plate even in his elder years as anyone ever said that he was.

Im pretty sure that the Yankees (or the city of New York--whoever really owns it now) will be auctioning off seats and just about everything when it starts to come down if some of you fans want a memento.

A whole Lot of history runs through your head when you walk through those turnstyles

Friday, the boys were in the doting arms of Aunt Betty. God Bless Aunt Betty. She took care of her southern babies.

They pulled up to Yankee Stadium on Saturday and called me. "Oh, my gosh mom we are here!!!" I said call me when you are in the stadium. They called me, breathless. I was in tears. Yeah, they made it!!! They are THERE!!!

They had the time of their life to say the least. They made memories. I have many pictures of them. My favorite is the two of them with the field right behind them. Usually, these two red headed tornadoes make funny gestures during picture taking. But the look on their face revealed a dream come true. I think they thought it too disrespectful to be otherwise.

I can tell you this...they came back different. They were awe struck. They felt like they were a part of history.

Thank you all for your kind words, interest and input.

Thanks Kimberly --Im glad your sons had a memorable time.

The rest of us can catch the last last last last game Sunday night on ESPN.

FWIW, the old stadium is going to be dismantled piece by piece, not imploded like some places.

The city elected to keep the field add two more and surround it with 12,000 trees.

In a few years it will look like this:

project_map2_edited.jpg.

If you're of the mind you'll be able to step up to the plate where so much history was made when you are in the Bronx--which certainly beats putting up a parking lot

As I've said, the only positive I can find, is that the new stadium looks like Yankee Stadium, more than the 70's renovation. I would have preferred a cavernous left center field, but you can't have everything. I'd have also liked to be able to see the subway go by in the outfield, like you could before they closed it off. I notice the track still goes right by it.

I honestly don't know if I can sit through tomorrow's game-I also know I can't miss it. :(

mstar, I was so excited by the news you posted (preserving the field) that I typed your name into my password to log in. Hardy har, laugh, guffaw. I said, WHAT???!!! That is my password!!! Then I realized what I did!!!!

I am silly with glee that the field will be preserved. I still have the opportunity to kiss the ground.

I have a picture of the boys standing in front of the new stadium with the Yankee Stadium letters on it.

I wonder what kind of ceremony they will have tomorrow. Who will be the biggies of the past that close it down?

After a conversation with a friend I have kind of a pool going on... who will throw the first pitch out at the new stadium and who will catch it? Has this been decided and I am behind the times and uninformed? That is a strong possibility. I think the oldest living Yankee players should be the ones. Would Yogi Bera have to do both?

To Oldies... my son played a week long tournament 3 years ago in Cooperstown. We went to the Hall of Fame. Now talk about feeling like being on hallowed ground... When we walked into the Hall Of Fame room I have never seen 12 year old boys so quiet and respectful. They actually whispered to each other. It was an unforgettable experience. Still to this day when we start to talk about it we just sort of hhhmmmm off in thought. No words to convey the emotion of being there.

wonder what kind of ceremony they will have tomorrow. Who will be the biggies of the past that close it down?

They are letting in fans at 1PM (for an 8:15 game) and are allowing them to go to Memorial Park and walk the warning track. Given that is more than 7 hours before the game Im sure they will do alot of things.

I found this at the Post

http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/yankees/arc..._stadium_g.html

Final Stadium game details

From the Yankees

Yankee Stadium gates will open at 1 p.m. on Sunday as the Yankees invite fans to take one last memorable stroll through Monument Park. Fans also will be allowed to exit Monument Park onto the field where they will be permitted to walk along the warning track around the outfield and behind home plate.

Monument Park will remain open until 6:45 p.m.

Pregame ceremonies, scheduled to begin at 7:05 p.m., will encompass the chronology of Yankees greats who have played at the Stadium.Among the distinguished alumni scheduled to take part in the festivities will be Yogi Berra, Whitey Ford, Goose Gossage, Ron Guidry, Graig Nettles and Bobby Richardson. A historic artifact from the Yankees’ past also will be unveiled during the ceremony.

The Yankees are urging fans to be in their seats by 6:50 p.m. The Yankees remind fans that numerous law enforcement agencies will be on hand for the final game to ensure a safe and enjoyable fan experience. Damaging the Stadium and/or attempted theft of Stadium property is a crime, and violators will be prosecuted. Only fans with valid tickets for Sunday’s game will be admitted and there will be NO RE-ENTRY.

Bleacher ticket holders who would like to visit Monument Park should enter the Stadium through Gate 2, 4 or 6. First pitch against the Orioles is scheduled for 8:15 p.m.

It had been decided (as far as I know ) that Bobby Murcer would throw out the first ball at the new stadium. He had played in both the old , and renovated stadium, but it was chiefly to honor his fight against brain cancer.

Unfortunately, he didn't make it to the closing today.

It seems obvious that it will be Yogi, but if they ask for my opinion, I would have Whitey Ford throw to Yogi catching.

I'll be watching tonight, but I can't say I'm looking forward to it.

It will be interesting (and historic) Andy Pettite is starting ...there is alot of buzz at the Orioles sites as well.

Its hard to believe its happening--- someone is going to get the last hit., throw the last pitch, make the last out etc.

If it is at all possible they should let Rivera throw the last pitch imo.

I'd have also liked to be able to see the subway go by in the outfield, like you could before they closed it off. I notice the track still goes right by it.

I remember that as well, I dont know how accurate this video is, but you would at least get a glimpse if it is right.

Edited by mstar1

I'm watching the day long farewell to Yankee Stadium, on ESPN.

This is harder than I thought it was going to be.

There were times, especially as an adolescent, when Yankee Stadium was a source of comfort and even security for a really screwed up kid. It's not much fun watching another piece of my life go away.

Im watching too and although it is very moving I know that I dont have near the emotional attachment to it

that you or other real Yankee fans would have. I know this has to be tough.

If there is one redeeming factor to this whole thing--and we have discussed this a number of times--I think the new stadium will not only be a big improvement but will also recreate some of the feel of the pre-renovation stadium.

Which by my limited way of thinking is the one that people really loved.

...and Im sure if you keep your eyes open after tonight you'll be able to find bricks, seats and all sorts of memorabilia for sale

• 2 weeks later...
Im watching too and although it is very moving I know that I dont have near the emotional attachment to it

that you or other real Yankee fans would have. I know this has to be tough.

If there is one redeeming factor to this whole thing--and we have discussed this a number of times--I think the new stadium will not only be a big improvement but will also recreate some of the feel of the pre-renovation stadium.

Ya know, while I too can lay no claim to real emotional attachment, to me (am I the only one?), from watching games on TV, the tradition took almost as much of a hit on the renovation as it does with the current ending. As an old Senator fan, I can remember Frank Howard hitting a 440 to 450 shot to dead center that was caught for an out. And outfielders chasing balls around the monuments.