GreaseSpot Cafe

Registry Cleaners

HAPe4me

I have been moving things around, uninstalling a few programs, and otherwise cleaning up space on this computer which I bought used.

I really don't have any serious problems, but one new Cad program I bought (Turbocad15 deluxe) does seem to close unexpectedly at times. (aggravating if I have not recently saved my building plans when it happens)

One recomendation the T-Cad folks mention is perhaps to run a Registry cleaner after uninstalling, and then reinstall the program. Anyone have a particular program they like? How about one that they wish they had never tried?

I have been looking at reviews of Uniblue's RegistryBooster 2009, and like every other registry cleaning program, the reviews seem to run across the spectrum. Ideas?

~HAP

HAP, I can't answer your question, being pretty much a computer idiot myself, but when I read your post a thought occurred to me. Could you check the program's settings to see if there's an auto-save feature tucked away somewhere? There may not be one, but in word processing programs, like MS Word, you can set it to autosave every few minutes and it's invisible and doesn't affect anything you're doing. Just a crazy thought, until you get the real answer.

I have one and you won't like it

Wipe that puppy and reload it completely unless you already did that. (you did already do that Right????)

If someone gave you a used computer chances are you have inherited what ever problems they had.

Antoher issue is that it may need some more memory added to it to accomidate the bigger programs that run now.. depending on the age of the computer.

yeah, I did the whole reformat reinstall XP, sp3 and all updates, drivers of everything on the machine etc. when I first got it. processor is a 3.6 g Intel, a gig of Ram.

Turbocad does autosave, but I think that may be where it is hanging and crashing. (not all the time, just when I haven't saved stuff oin my own of course) The computer has way more than the system requirements of the program.

The same symptom has been reported on Acer computers with this version of T-cad, and somemonitoring program has to be disabled. Other people have reported it on various Vista machines too. I think there is a bug in this version, that the company is gonna get around to putting up a patch for.

I really don't expect a registry cleaner to solve it, but if I found one I trust, I would try it. Never hurts speedwise to rid the unneeded rif raf that gets left there. (yeah, I know back up before making changes and all that.)

My interest in a reg cleaner is not just related to my CAD software issue. I am confident I will solve that eventually. I have used earlier versions of it for 8 years or so. I think their latest version just needs a fix for some configurations.

yeah, I did the whole reformat reinstall XP, sp3 and all updates, drivers of everything on the machine etc. when I first got it. processor is a 3.6 g Intel, a gig of Ram.

Turbocad does autosave, but I think that may be where it is hanging and crashing. (not all the time, just when I haven't saved stuff oin my own of course) The computer has way more than the system requirements of the program.

The same symptom has been reported on Acer computers with this version of T-cad, and somemonitoring program has to be disabled. Other people have reported it on various Vista machines too. I think there is a bug in this version, that the company is gonna get around to putting up a patch for.

I really don't expect a registry cleaner to solve it, but if I found one I trust, I would try it. Never hurts speedwise to rid the unneeded rif raf that gets left there. (yeah, I know back up before making changes and all that.)

My interest in a reg cleaner is not just related to my CAD software issue. I am confident I will solve that eventually. I have used earlier versions of it for 8 years or so. I think their latest version just needs a fix for some configurations.

Well that sucks. Nothing is worse than a program that shuts down in the middle of a project.

My one experience was with RegCure .. which really didn't fix our computer problems.. I ended up wiping the hard drive and starting over. This was for one of the computers at work. But then the problem with it was not really in the registry it was virus /malware related and I should have done the wipe from the get go.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

http://www.glaryutilities.com/index.html

http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

The only ones I trust. And use without problems.

With regseeker just clean the ones that are green.

You will see after you run the scan.

I would recommend NOT using a reg cleaner that you are not fully sure of.

Edited by cman

Ha! Good Point Paw!

Why didn't they say that at the customer service?

Must have been at the first level before you get to anyone that knows anything.

Those registry cleaners I posted all have the option to backup your changes so you can always restore what the program did. That's one reason I like them.

For T-Cad to recommend a registry cleaner is unusual to me since most techs say leave the registry alone. But some will recommend a few.

Another gig of memory is fairly cheap these days Hap.

If you have the slots open for it.

Hap,

Don't think it would be a registry problem. I went to TurboCad's website and TurboCad 15's recommended RAM is 2 Gigs. That would more likely be the problem.

Thanks Paw and Cman- (and Leafy for your efforts too)

yeah I see that now, although the minimum requirement is 512mb. I am running 1 gig with XP. I would have thought the extra recomendation was for the 3D rendering/ rotating and isometric views, but perhaps not. Mostly I draw in 2D, and the file sizes are under 300 mb.

Right now I have Mozilla and IE open, and Turbocad with one of my larger files open. System Information reports:

Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB

Available Physical Memory 387.20 MB

Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB

Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB

Page File Space 2.85 GB

Page File C:\pagefile.sys

HOWEVER, now that I look, just getting booted running the desktop takes pretty much one stick of 512 with XP, so memory makes possible sense. Opening T-cad without doing anything uses about 40-50mb. Once I start using the program, available memory seems to be around 300. So maybe when it really is active more is chomped on and more memory might be the answer. I would have thought the virtual memory would have covered that. guess not.

I have two memslots available, can't hurt anyway. Currently I have two 512 mb (I think 533 Mhz) DDR2 .

Do I have to match the 533 or can I add a pair of 667mhz (or just get 2 ea. 1gig 667 and pull the 533's) I remember in the old days they had to be in pairs, and some of the DDR2 I see offered for this machine says 2 required, others say 1 stick.

Last night I did find that Nvidia's site has very new drivers for my card (GEForce 6800- series 6). I downloaded them and will give the program a shot tonight and let you know. Niether Dell nor Windows updates told me about any driver newer than 2006 for that card. grrrr.

Thanks muchez-

~HAP

actually, after playing tonight for some time, with 6 drawings open and juking around making a 3d one, everything was going fine. no glitches to the software, so maybe it was the video card driver. Or wait until I am working on it instead of playing and we will see.

I am still gonna get at least 2 gig more memory just cause I can, and it never hurts. MY experience has always been "I won't need that........but then I DO need it all of a sudden and its not there." shoot, my appleIIE had what 512 kb or something?

Oh, and Cman, the tech support did say use a reg cleaner (they recomended one i didn't like) only if I felt comfortable doing so. Their point was older versions of turbocad I had before might have left stuff in the registry and be causing the new one to hang. The uninstallers on some old software sometimes did not exactly make everything disappear from what I understand.

Yes I understand backing up the registry and would do that if I run one anyway. thanks.

Edited by HAPe4me

If it's memory it should tell you you are out.

But that's not always the case.

Overheating usually causes sudden shutdowns of the entire system.

Bad memory can do the same.

Here is 'MemTest' of which to make a boot disk to test your memory for bad sticks. No fix for them if a bad stick is in your computer, just pitch it. And buy more.

http://www.memtest.org/

Here's some things to boost your memory without changing anything.

Right click your task bar.

Click 'task manager' and then the process' tab.

Right click ALL Google update or any other service they have running and Kill the process. If you installed Google's new browser you have a lot.

Other process' to kill-

dcupdchk.exe-updater for ipoint

jusched.exe-that's a updater for java

ctfmon.exe-Microsoft office component

ipoint.exe-Microsoft mouse software

All these will come back the next time you restart.

So no problem killing the process through task manager.

It's only temporary and will return automatically next restart of the computer.

Yahoo toolbar is notorious for hogging memory-if you have it consider uninstalling it.

Instant messengers can be shut down, they eat memory for a living.

Edited by cman

hmmm.....

yeah it even triggered my browser

for a web page selling it

using firefox with adblocker

maybe it was just for the first time only

but i had to close another screen selling to close it too

maybe it's something they added since you got it

Thanks for keeping up the discussion about reg cleaners. I am still interested in one just to check things out and clean some stuff. My original problem with my CAD program appears for now to be fixed with the Video Card driver update. Would that make sense? I think it related to the 3D rendering this version is more extreme with, and the driver notes mentioned 3D gaming benefits/ fixes.

Back to Reg boosters:

Do you have any experience with Uniblue's RegistryBooster 2009? They offer a free scan, but I think it is a buy it to fix thing. The reviews I have read seem to be generally positive however, although many say free ones do as good a job.

Thanks WordWolf, Ifigured that was the deal.

Also Hap, there is an option to exempt cookies of your choosing in the cleaning part of Ccleaner. There is a junk and temp file cleaner and a registry cleaner in ccleaner.

That way your cookies for like greasespot are not deleted, making you have to log in again, as well as other sites you trust.

• 2 months later...

a very good and powerful cleaner

in fact so good-be careful with some of the cleaners

i just use the registry cleaner with this one

sometimes the other cleaners, but they may clean too much

be sure you know what it's taking out

the registry cleaner part is safe

and i use it without problems

http://www.nirmaltv.com/2009/01/26/fix-reg...t-registry-fix/

the home page is in another language so i posted this blog about it

here's the home page-

http://www.vitsoft.org.ua/index.htm

• 1 year later...

Your cad program is closing because you are overloading your graphics card, cpu chip and or system memory. Your design is too complex and the computer simply runs out of computing power. Try and break your design up into smaller modules. I find a system ram increase to be the first fix. If you need even more speed, then, upgrading the graphics card, and even more speed, then, a new cpu chip (quad core 64 bit) if all else fails. It is most likely not your registry or your operating system which is at fault.

Registry cleaners can really screw up a computer, I avoid them like the plague...

Edited by DrWearWord

I've never had any problems with any registry cleaner.

IMHO, once you skip the "nag screen", Eusing Free Registry Cleaner can't harm the PC.

RegScrubXP is fine, but you have to remember to just let the program

find problems. I knew someone who selected the option to identify problems

himself. So, it showed him the full contents of his PC's hard drive, which he

promptly deleted. Personally, I don't think that was the program's fault,

since it did exactly what he told it to. However, you can't make that mistake

with Eusing.