GreaseSpot Cafe

How are you guys doing?

kimberly

I love weather. Although, I keep up with all of it I particularly love hurricanes, tornadoes, lightning and thunderstorms. Weh my sister, Trisha and I grow up we are going to be storm chasers.

I should have posted this earlier considering what you guys in the northeast have been going through the last week. I know many of you who post here are from there. I have been thinking about how you are doing. Many still without power. A huge snowfall on Friday. Now...the storm that just passed through the midwest is headed your way. I pray you and yours are safe and warm.

In the northwest...hurricane-force winds and temps in the negative. Spokane had 25 inches of snow in the last 3 days and 6 more inches expected tomorrow. When I heard this I had to look it up on the net. Surely, I heard wrong. Nope, true. Geez, nellie!!! Anybody on here from there? I can not fathom all that snow. How do you function? I suppose your city must be prepared for that. My heart goes out to you. Be safe and warm.

The midwest...holy smokes...Iowa, Illinois, Indiana. Earlier ice storm now heavy snow on top of that. Power outages, temps in the negative or near it, wind gusts 30+mph. December snowfall in North Dakota already equals the entire snowfall for last winter in that state. Holy mo!!!

Snow and ice scares the jeepers out of me. Every 5+ years or so we have a freak storm, ice, snow and maybe loss of power for a day. We think it is fun and cozy. Roar up the fireplace to keep warm and cook up something in the dutch oven. The entire family camps in the den with oil lanterns aglow. But nothing, ever, never ever, like so many are experiencing right now. I can not fathom it.

My heartfelt thoughts and prayers for those in this mess. Be safe, warm and well, beloved.

Im doing fine. I usually grumble through winter but these last two storms for me have been---well gorgeous--the better part of the ice storm passed by just catching the ridge of the hills and mountains that surround me--which gives sort of an interesting and surreal light effect. The snow the other day was about a foot, but light as a feather--easy to clean up--but still gave that picturesque effect. Driving was only bad for a few hours and although I slippedly slid all oiver the place there were no incidents for me.

We're expecting another 6 inches today--so I'll see how I fare on that.

It was OK for me but there are 3 or 4 hilltowns near me that havent fared so well. Power is STILL out in them 8 days after the ice storm.Theyve also had to go through the first big snow with no power which has got to be tough.

The towns are all served by two different power companies, so the companies are putting off on each other repairing the lines, so neither of them have done anything yet.

The towns have set up emergency shelters,and people are buying generators or doubling up with friends and relatives.

Its rough but the hillfolks are stout and everyones pitching in...

Here in Michigan we've not been debilitated by this winter, thus far. We got Jan/Feb type snow early, in November and it's not quit. Four school days off so far, lots of sliding, slipping and some stupidity wrecks on our greasy roads.

My daughters car sat in the middle of her road, stuck, for several hours til plowing and pushing could happen, that kind of thing. (not that I'm suggesting my daughters driving is stupid :unsure: )

Personally, the only problems I've encountered is finding someone to plow my long driveway that I can afford, who will actually show up, having to walk to work a couple of times and my furnace going out 'cuz of snow build up on roof and wind.

It's just part of living here but we've been fortunate in that we've not been hit with ice storms; those are, indeed, different circumstances to live with.

Right now it's snowing hard and another 10 inches are expected. Sigh, so beautiful but it's been alot really fast. We just stay in and read, watch movies, hang out and hope we don't run out of the really important stuff like coffee and toilet paper.

California - the Left Coast has little to complain about but the weather's been colder than normal, in northern areas. Several days in the mid-20's last week, over night temp's. Some light snow on hills and areas that seldom see that. Mostly we need lots of snow, a good snow pack, to come out of this winter, and rain. Got some but not enough as yet.

Seattle's weather has kinda sucked for the last week or so. Been in the teens to low 30's for over a week now. Yes, I know compared to hometown Duluth, it's a banana belt, but for the PNW it's been brutal. The worst weather we've seen around here in about 18 years.

The traffic is the worst part, as I live in a cold house and just don't much give a chit. But not being able to get around 'cause the roads are all blocked with abandoned cars gets really old. The locals around here never seem to catch on about how to drive in the snow either. Everytime we have a bit of snow, everyone takes that as a cue to drive immediately into the ditch. I don't get it.

This weekend was supposed to be the real bitch, though. But the killer storm failed to materialize (as I predicted). There was a little wind and a little snow, but basically, no big deal. One thing you have to learn about the weather in the PNW, is that if they predict it, it ain't gonna happen. The really nasty storms always seem to strike pretty much out of the blue. No warning, no nuthin. Then the weathermen all make excuses for a couple of days for why they missed it. But if they call for it, relax. I think they're trying to make up for a slow news day sometimes with the ridiculous predictions they make, and turn into the "Top Story" for the evening news.

Anyway, no relief in sight right now. 'Sposed to be another week or so of this crap. It'd be nice if they had enough equipment to plow the roads BEFORE they get covered in ice, but such is life...

Seattle's weather has kinda sucked for the last week or so. Been in the teens to low 30's for over a week now. Yes, I know compared to hometown Duluth, it's a banana belt, but for the PNW it's been brutal. The worst weather we've seen around here in about 18 years.

Yeah, that's when I lived there and it snowed a few inches in November. Everyone freaked out and everything shut down. Since I had just moved there from a northern state I thought it was funny!

The traffic is the worst part ... not being able to get around 'cause the roads are all blocked with abandoned cars gets really old. The locals around here never seem to catch on about how to drive in the snow either. Everytime we have a bit of snow, everyone takes that as a cue to drive immediately into the ditch. I don't get it.

I remember that part, too. They seem to think if they just pretend it isn't there the snow it will go away.