GreaseSpot Cafe

"God won't even spit in your direction"

Twinky

Okay, we've all heard this. But when and where did it start?

LCM used the expression a lot. Usually in conjunction with, "If you don't tithe, God won't even spit in your direction."

(As if anyone wanted a God who would spit on them!)

Who coined this expression, LCM himself? Or VPW, did he say this (maybe, I can't remember)? And who remembers its first context? Was it in relation to tithing or was it something else? When did you first hear it? Did anything else merit God not spitting at you?

I've heard LCM holler it out on more than a few occasions. That would be early 90s. When? Corps night, perhaps? But it clearly made its way out - SNS?

Funny, and in view of "pneuma" sometimes being trans-a-lated "wind" (not just "spirit")... ah, you work it out. Maybe that glass of red wine that I just drank is having an effect...! :biglaugh:

Anyway, anyone know the origin of this expression, in TWI terms?

I remember him starting to say it after he split with Chris Geer. If I'm remembering correctly, a lot of departing leaders at that time were given money and cars, which lcm later resented. Funds were short, people had to move in on top of each other at HQ. The t.t.t.t. (temper tantrum tithing teachings) began. Then I remember the "tithe" ten percent was not enough. If you were really committed then you would give "at least" fifteen percent. And so on and so forth......

:offtopic:

...a lot of departing leaders at that time were given money and cars...

They were? :blink: :blink:

Leafy - weren't we taught that the spittle of a holy man was something special (hence Jesus spitting on the eyes of a blind man)? Though I don't think LCM had this in mind.

I remember hearing something like that. It was one of the reasons after that why people were viciously dealt with when they decided to leave or were booted out. LCM resented that the previous leaders left with some what of a severance package. He agreed to it when he was doing whatever CG said. So he took it out on anyone after that, when he seperated from CG.

Leafy - weren't we taught that the spittle of a holy man was something special (hence Jesus spitting on the eyes of a blind man)? Though I don't think LCM had this in mind.

But spittle versus spitting is two different things at least I believe. Spitting is usually done with a forceful expelling of air and usually with the intent to insult or get rid of something icky in your mouth.

and spittle is like your Mom washing the gorp off your face when you are a little kid.

Of course this is

1. Not biblical or with any biblical backing up of said thoughts with a scriptural reference.

2. Just my humble opinion in view of my own life experiences.

Wait...Did Jesus spit on the eyes of the blind man... did i miss understand/read that verse????

Gets bible out again to review the verse in question.

Sigh sorry mixed up two different stories..

Some one more schooled in these things... is it Spit in The account in Mark Chapter 8 or was it Spittle???? as in John Chapter 9

Edited by leafytwiglet

I believe it was before VPW died that LCM published an article, or perhaps a series of articles in the Wmag "The Tithe Doth Still Provide" or something like that. I seem to recall he used this immortal phrase in that article first.

As others also recall the 10% became an ironclad law under the reign of terror. I remember a struggling young couple with little kids who desperately wanted to tithe and more but just couldn't. I told them that God respected their heart if they gave a dollar or gave or their time or whatever they could manage. Alas our noble twig leader had already chewed their butts and told them if they didn't cough up at least 10% to not bother, because God would not honor them or DO anything for them, and that God would not spit in their direction, etc.

I told them I didn't believe that. I told them you don't buy God's favor or protection or love. They reiterated their conversation with the twig leader, little banty rooster that he was.

Thankfully they never ratted me out to him. He would've had a snitfit.

WG

I remember lcm using that phrase in the mid 70's...it became a standard part of his schtick whenever he mentioned tithing.

I seem to recall Wierwiile using the phrase as well...but even if he didn't, he never corrected lcm for saying it...which implies agreement.

Twi taught of a God that provides protection when you give him a certain percentage of your money...just like the mafia does.

Groucho, that sounds like the earliest someone has mentioned, and what WG says seems to back it up. He was silly enough to write that in a Waymag?

It's a certainty that if LCM said it and VPW was still around, VPW must have endorsed it othewise he would have squelched LCM.

Quick, folks, buy your spit protection NOW!

Of course, "tithing" was very surreptitiously required of us from PFAL with the handing out of the Christians Should be Prosperous booklet, not actually "taught" as such. The gist of that booklet was that not tithing was robbing God and who'd want to do that? But just disapproval, no threat, if one didn't tithe.

Did VPW threaten, or did he just leave that to LCM?

Does anyone admit to having the Waymag WG mentioned?

Edited by Twinky

I'm not sure who "coined the phrase" but I do recall in the mid to late 90's LCM making mention that tithing was minimum 10% and that was the bare minimum. He went on to emphasize that the books of Acts starts with believers giving of their abundance, meaning everything that was not needed to live on. As I recall I heard the phrase used in regards to "abundant sharing" meaning that if you weren't giving over and above that 10% God wouldn't even "spit in your direction."

Anyone else recall that?

Anyone else recall that?

yep, sure do. we were expected to give a minimum of 15% to get revelation from god. reminded me of buying indulgences.

10% meant you were safe from the devil. 15% meant you could be spiritual.

the word according to lcm.

I think Bob was PNG (M&A) by the time I got more deeply involved with TWI. So that would have been a while back.

According to other threads here, Bob is still in.

Why??????? :blink:

How many songs can you sing about spit, anyway? (LOL)

But seriiously though folks: looks like this has gone as far as it can with a date.

Possibly mid 70s. And tacitly approved by VPW.

I would be so interested to know LCM's take on his catchphrase nowadays, but doubtless we will never know. Being as he himself is a grease spot. :biglaugh: