GreaseSpot Cafe

susan boyle

excathedra

t's interesting that a talent that big, can go unnoticed for so long-makes me wonder who else is lurking in villages around the world

I would venture quite a bit...Its been my belief for along time that most of the best music in the world goes unrecorded and that most of it happens in living rooms, on back porches, or in out of the way places far far away from the 'music biz" that must package it into an image and product that they can sell.

There are more than a few talented people out there who are content with what they have and want nothing to do with the fame game

thank you all for your replies to this thread

and linzee, thank you (sniff)

"I had a dream my life would be

So different from this hell I'm living

So different now from what it seemed

Now life has killed the dream I dreamed."

my mom's life story in so many ways

too difficult for me to expound

love, me

incidentally, my mom has a BEAUTIFUL voice and soul

sorry for derail

so many of us had dreams....

This has nothing to do with Susan Boyle, but the song she sang was from Les Miserables, my favorite musical, and if you liked that, you'll love this...

Edited by Raf

Figured I'd add the lyrics and a tiny explanation: the guy singing has come to the front lines of an insurrection to find Marius, the young rebel his daughter loves. On the eve of battle, some rebels keep watch while others, including Marius, get needed rest. Marius has no idea this man is the father (adoptive, really) of the woman he loves. So our main character, realizing what a good man Marius is, says this prayer:

God on high, hear my prayer

In my need you have always been there

He is young. He's afraid

Let him rest heaven blessed

Bring him home, bring him home, bring him home.

He's like the son I might have known if God had granted me a son

The summers die one by one

How soon they fly on and on

And I am old and will be gone

Bring him peace. Bring him joy.

He is young. He is only a boy.

You can take. You can give.

Let him be. Let him live.

If I die, let me die! Let him live.

Bring him home.

Bring him home.

Bring...

him...

home.

Edited by Raf

• 1 month later...

It's easy to understand this woman's "breakdown" or whatever it is. Intense hype, build-up, ra-ra-ra...and then it all falls flat. The stress of it must be enormous.

(I'm looking for a job; I interview really well; then they say I was just "pipped at the post. Just at that, it knocks me out for the rest of the day. So for this young woman with mega-hype and a genuine and realistic expectation of success...her disappointment must be equally intense.)

However, just because she didn't win the contest doesn't mean it's all over for her. Her talent has been showcased and if anyone wants to pick it up and give her a chance, hey, she's out there. She has acquired a real following - and as you guys show, that following is not just in the UK but in America also.She's had her 15 minutes of fame and then some. More than so very many others will ever achieve. All the best to her.

She has recently been taken to "a London clinic" - allegedly taken away by Police under the Mental Health Act. That was a few days ago. No news since.

Poor woman needs a rest from all this publicity. Paparazzi, speculation, hype - enough to give anyone a "nervous breakdown."

She has recently been taken to "a London clinic" - allegedly taken away by Police under the Mental Health Act. That was a few days ago. No news since.

Poor woman needs a rest from all this publicity. Paparazzi, speculation, hype - enough to give anyone a "nervous breakdown."

That's crazy! I really hope she gets well soon. Keep us informed will you please? US reports are often a day late and a dollar short when it comes to these things (unless it's Brittany Spears then they follow her to the hospital).

• 5 months later...

Just an update on this woman. She has an album due to be released on 23 Nov, ie, next week - and it is already a chart topper!

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – The upcoming debut album by British singing sensation Susan Boyle has become the largest global CD pre-order in the history of Amazon.com, the online retailer said on Thursday.

Boyle's album "I Dreamed a Dream" will be released on November 24 by Sony Music Entertainment. It is the first album since the dowdy 48 year-old church volunteer from Scotland took the Internet by storm with her unlikely star turn on the TV show "Britain's Got Talent" in April.

Amazon said that Boyle's album was not only the top CD pre-order in the United States, but also the biggest around the world in the 14-year history of its web site.

Amazon declined to give their pre-order figures but said "I Dreamed a Dream" surpassed the 2008 record held by "Supermarket Fantasy" from Japanese rock band Mr. Children, 2007's "Not Too Late" by U.S. singer Norah Jones, and British group Take That's "Never Forget: The Ultimate Collection" in 2008.

"Susan's album is clearly capturing the hearts of our customers around the globe," said Craig Pape, senior manager of music at Amazon.com.

Boyle ultimately lost the final of "Britain's Got Talent" to a dance team, and she was afterward briefly admitted to a private British clinic for exhaustion.

However she was signed to a record deal by "Britain's Got Talent" and "American Idol" judge Simon Cowell and performed one track from the album -- a cover of The Rolling Stone's hit "Wild Horses" -- on "America's Got Talent" in September.

(Reporting by Jill Serjeant; Editing by Bob Tourtellotte)

(emphasis added)

So, Grease Spotter fans - your chance for your very own piece of Susan.

• 2 years later...

This woman goes from strength to strength.

There is now a musical of her life: I Dreamed a Dream - the Musical

Susan Boyle's life story

Opens on Friday week.

She's still overweight, still not "pretty" but she's obviously had some make-up advice and looks a whole heap more attractive.

Seems in just a couple of years she's come a very very long way.

Good for her. :eusa_clap:

Ah, she's a real woman, not a stick insect like Victoria Beckham!

Maria Callas was a rather large lady too. But look at the voice that came out of her.

Susan certainly has a lovely voice and good on her for making a success with it!

• 2 weeks later...

just read through this thread and i'm laughing

every moment of her singing moves me, but never will replace the first time i heard her

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNMwzaM2pFc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNMwzaM2pFc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiC_nXo3s94

i don't know why i can't post the other songs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiC_nXo3s94

i don't know why i can't post the other songs

It's some kind of technical thing. I have found that (2) is the limit in one post, unless you just do a copy/paste of the URLs. Then you can do several. I have no idea why. My technical skills are very limited.