GreaseSpot Cafe

Notional Christians

Tzaia

I was introduced to a number of rankings for Christians over the years. The ones that stand out most in my mind are: Nominal, Believers, Disciples. Today I read about another: Notional. As defined, a "notional" Christian is one who holds (even passionately) to notions, doctrines, and propositions about Christ (or Christianity in general) yet bear no fruit.

Sound like any organization you know?

• Upvote 3

I was introduced to a number of rankings for Christians over the years. The ones that stand out most in my mind are: Nominal, Believers, Disciples. Today I read about another: Notional. As defined, a "notional" Christian is one who holds (even passionately) to notions, doctrines, and propositions about Christ (or Christianity in general) yet bear no fruit.

Sound like any organization you know?

Why is it that many christians feel the need to sub-categorize and label each other?

Are members in particular to be compared to one another? Is my elbow better than my knee?

• Upvote 2

Why is it that many christians feel the need to sub-categorize and label each other?

Are members in particular to be compared to one another? Is my elbow better than my knee?

I didn't create the categories. I think many who were involved in our previous organization and many who are still in hold to the notion that "right" doctrine is fruit. I know I did for a long time. Is it?

• Upvote 1

This is from the Amplified Bible describing fruit. Ch5:22-23

22But the fruit of the [Holy] Spirit [the work which His presence within accomplishes] is love, joy (gladness), peace, patience (an even temper, forbearance), kindness, goodness (benevolence), faithfulness,

23Gentleness (meekness, humility), self-control (self-restraint, continence). Against such things there is no law [[f]that can bring a charge].

I didn't create the categories. I think many who were involved in our previous organization and many who are still in hold to the notion that "right" doctrine is fruit. I know I did for a long time. Is it?

Tzaia....no, you didn't create the categories. Just saying, there seems to be this labeling, comparing and slandering amongst many christians.

How about this verse for "right" doctrine:

II Corinthians 10:12 For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise.

This is from the Amplified Bible describing fruit. Ch5:22-23

22But the fruit of the [Holy] Spirit [the work which His presence within accomplishes] is love, joy (gladness), peace, patience (an even temper, forbearance), kindness, goodness (benevolence), faithfulness,

23Gentleness (meekness, humility), self-control (self-restraint, continence). Against such things there is no law [[f]that can bring a charge].

Well, I guess that settles it.

VPW must have been a Christian because he exuded all those characteristics.(cough, cough, cough, cough)

It's not enough to feel superior to the non-Christians - folks have to feel superior to each other too. And the other faiths aren't any better, the arguments among pagans about whose traditions are more authentic and who can be called a real Wiccan are reminiscent of the looking-down-the-nose attitude of the Christians that II know

• Upvote 1

It's not enough to feel superior to the non-Christians - folks have to feel superior to each other too. And the other faiths aren't any better, the arguments among pagans about whose traditions are more authentic and who can be called a real Wiccan are reminiscent of the looking-down-the-nose attitude of the Christians that II know

It's also true in corporations, in neighborhoods, in schools, in just about anything involving people. I believe they call it human nature.

Isn't the idea of most religions to aspire to a higher nature? Yet every one of them has its hierarchy, in-fighting, and all the worst characteristics of humanity. Adherents of the various sects of the Muslim religion are killing each other daily and have been for centuries. The Palestinians and the Jews can't seem to figure it out. The Catholics and Protestants in Ireland don't have a great track record. Holy cow! (with apologies to anyone of the Hindu faith reading this).

One of the first and best lessons my parents taught me was that I should never consider any other type/class/race/group of people inferior to me, to make myself feel superior. I like to think I learned that lesson well, and I try not to let that kind of thinking creep into my pea brain, but if I'm brutally honest with myself, I know that at times I've fallen prey to it, usually when I'm feeling insecure. Maybe that's the problem of religions. Perhaps they have collective inferiority complexes!

• Upvote 2

Scripture somewhat categorizes believers. . . babes, feeble minded, unruly, weak, uniformed as Paul mentions in 1 Thess. . . .

. . . . Then there are those who are false teachers. . . . . and those led astray by false teachers. . .

Concerning TWI and it's offshoots. . . I don't think they fall into the notional category of Christians . . . I don't believe they fall into any Christian category.

They are a cult. . . . and that term is actually gracious.

VP, LCM, and the rest of the cabal who founded, designed and sustain TWI are aptly described in scripture. . . . but, not as Christian. . . .

When a Christian overseer is described they must not be. . . . arrogant, prone to anger, a drunkard, violent, or greedy for gain.

VP and LCM, Rosalie, and the rest. . . their description in scripture is every bit as ugly as their actions are in life.

These actions are laid out on this site for anyone to read. . .rape, serial adultery, slander, false witness, greed, lust. . . .arrogance, the seduction of the unstable, speaking great blasphemies. . . . the list is so long.

The cult. . . the teaching. . . the doctrine. . . the fetid fruit of suffering and destruction. . .is not what you call notional Christians.

Scripture has another name for them. Accursed springs to mind.