GreaseSpot Cafe

Teen set on fire for $40

Raf

It amazes me how there can be people who oppose trying the 5 teens as adults, never mind the sheer terror the victim went through. :realmad:

I wonder what sheer terror the defendants think that they're going to go through being the playthings for hardened criminals when they're convicted. ;) :evildenk:

The three pictures of those charged as adults.. look hauntingly familiar.. the facial expressions.. they look like pictures I've seen of child warriors..

who raised them?

Are they just kind of on their own?

Who suggested they do this? Or did they come up with it on their own? Somehow, I don't think they did..

We have been keeping up with this story, also.

I agree Ham, these children did not come up with this on their own. They learned from somebody in their life to hurt others.

In one article somebody said the boy or boys (I forget now) should not be punished so severely for a mistake they made as a child. Misspelling a word on a spelling test is a mistake. To me, a mistake indicates unintentional harm.

Setting another living thing ablaze is not a mistake! Maybe at least one of these boys is really evil and the others just followed along.

How do we teach children to think about consequences before they pull off such a devastating action on another person. It seems that the boy's parents don't seem to think it was such a terrible act...."mistake"??? don't treat them like adults....they'll spend 10 or more years in jail....meanwhile Michael is sentenced to many more than 10 years of disfigurement and many months of painful recuperation before that.

edited to remove the question - it sounded like an unfair challenge this morning and that was never my intent.

Edited by krys

Defense seems to be that there was no plan to set the kid on fire. The group of teens happened to find a jug of rubbing alcohol (which, as unbelievable as it sounds, appears to be the truth from everything I've seen). A few minutes later, they see the kid. Words are exchanged. Then one pours the alcohol on him...

was it supposed to stop there? When another kid took out a lighter and flicked it, did anyone know what he was about to do? Did he not realize how flammable rubbing alcohol is? Because he knows now!

So, yeah, it's a mistake if I think I'm just pouring alcohol on you and YOU, on your own, decide to take the next step and light it!

Is that what happened? Don't know. I do know that these defendants will all but certainly turn on each other. This is going to be a REAL interesting fight from here on out.