GreaseSpot Cafe

Giving up Yourself to TWI

JavaJane

I became involved with twi while I was still a kid, but wasn't a "sold out believer" until I decided to go WOW at age 20. Prior to that you would probably call me a free spirit artistic type... I'm almost back to where I was before - maybe I'm even there, but it has been a struggle.

Instead of free spirit, I became a business woman complete with suits and business cards.

My chosen career path was based on how it would allow me to participate in twi functions. I wanted a 9-5 job with holidays free and nights off so that I could attend each and every event. I wanted a job that would allow me to ABS and provide other believers with a place of employment.

What I really wanted personally? A job that I could interact with people and make them happy - a job where I could make something tangible with my hands, and when I was done with it, I could have something accomplished. A job with only a little amount of numbers and computers. A job that involved creativity, owning my own business, and allowed me to peirce my nose, get tattoos, and wear weird clothes.

Like I said, I'm getting back to that. I am starting my own business - small at first, but I have a plan. And maybe I'll get a loan when I have enough business to need a place to work.

And since I work from home and no one sees me, I can wear what I want.

And I'll probably get a tattoo this summer.

Anyway, I basically became EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE of what I feel I really am and should be.

How about the rest of you?

I've been serving beer and food in a Restaurant I own, and then cleaning rooms (and yes, toilets) in the morning at my Bed & Breakfast. I'm wearing blue jeans to work. No one can tell me to change into something else, since I'm the owner. I've also been taking my laptop with me. I'vemet all the people that work for me over here. Some are new (I haven't met them before), and several of them didn't believe I was the owner, which was funny. I'm still wanting to stay up way too late. I want to find a pair of Bunny slippers and wear them to Limerick in the morning,... just because I can. O'Connell Street may never be the same.

I never was in TWI and whenever I visit those who I know that are I dress "casual-nice" and don't talk much, except to the person I'm there to visit.

I learned a lesson. You will never get rich working for someone else.

I allowed myself to be naively convinced that I should alter my life's course because there was a "ministry" that "taught" me the word. So therefore I am supposed to commit my life to it, change my outer appearance to match it, alter my speech to propagate, and on it went. So yes I gave myself up to them as if they were God. Stupid me.

I became involved with twi while I was still a kid, but wasn't a "sold out believer" until I decided to go WOW at age 20. Prior to that you would probably call me a free spirit artistic type... I'm almost back to where I was before - maybe I'm even there, but it has been a struggle.

Instead of free spirit, I became a business woman complete with suits and business cards.

My chosen career path was based on how it would allow me to participate in twi functions. I wanted a 9-5 job with holidays free and nights off so that I could attend each and every event. I wanted a job that would allow me to ABS and provide other believers with a place of employment.

What I really wanted personally? A job that I could interact with people and make them happy - a job where I could make something tangible with my hands, and when I was done with it, I could have something accomplished. A job with only a little amount of numbers and computers. A job that involved creativity, owning my own business, and allowed me to peirce my nose, get tattoos, and wear weird clothes.

Like I said, I'm getting back to that. I am starting my own business - small at first, but I have a plan. And maybe I'll get a loan when I have enough business to need a place to work.

And since I work from home and no one sees me, I can wear what I want.

And I'll probably get a tattoo this summer.

Anyway, I basically became EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE of what I feel I really am and should be.

How about the rest of you?

So you sold your soul to the twi. Ditto! :realmad: I did it too JavaJane!

I'm a professional in my field. I got married to the girl that I had been involved with while still in the twi. I'm still married 14 years later, with 2 boys, 7 cats and 2 dogs and I own my own home. (that's pending in today's economy)!

While in the way I never thought about marriage. I never thought about a career. Or a family of my own. I only thought about how many functions I could attend. Or how many classes I could take.

I only thought in terms of how twi allowed me to feel. Sit much, read the word daily, pray, fellowship with like-minded believers, attend twig, give or your time, sleep, eat, and get some sleep, and do it again the next day.

That's what happens I guess when you let yourself become brainwasher by a cult! :asdf:

Today I cuss, :lol: listen to rock n' roll loud ^_^ drink beer and party :beer: if I want to and I have nobody to tell me any different and I'm having the time of my life.

Well, I might be the strange one of the pack.. I actually wanted to be a minister BEFORE I got into TWI.. Or at least a missionary.. Made a plan when I was 15 and thought I was right on schedule.. Wanted to work on computers, make lots of money, and then live off that money living for God.. Well, never had time enough to make lots of money while in.. And since it looked like I could accomplish my plan without having to have money, well, there ya go.. I joined the Corps..

Yeah.. I got duped.. Realized that pretty early on in my Corps training how sold out they were to the world. But made a promise to finish training, so I stayed. And left after graduation after a few promised confrontations to possibly see if I could change the BOT's mind.. Yeah, they didn't care.

So, now, back to .. well, I dunno.. lol.. Running my businesses for now.. And wherever God takes me from there!

Ha ha, T&O, I thought I'd be a missionary too.

And actually, I did do something like that - got myself a job overseas, loved it, joined what was usually a really supportive twig overseas, and from there made it into the Corps. And from there, everything went downhill. Sucked everything I had out of me ... then spat me out, with nothing, no support, no friends...nothing. :realmad:

Well, I've surely learned how to be a minister, a missionary. Or rather, what those people are NOT.

Well, I might be the strange one of the pack..

Well, yeah.

When in-residence we had it drilled into us that we should be willing to "change ANYTHING and EVERYTHING about ourselves" to... fill in the blank - "move the word", "be a good minister of Jesus Christ", whatever. I tried hard to change or repress so many things about myself from my sense of humor to my style of dress to my interests and aspirations. When the scandals with the Craiggers broke in 2000, that woke me up to the kind of people I had been enduring so much inner conflict to please. I started letting my real self come back to the surface. It took another five years before I had gained enough confidence to start fighting back, and three more to get out of TWI with my family intact. About two years out and I am still sorting through the process of being who I really am and want to be, and mapping out what I want out of life and going for it.