GreaseSpot Cafe

Cataracts

Broken Arrow

O.K., so I'm aging. I just today had a cataract removed from my left eye. I'm doing fine, by the way. They put a patch over your eye once their through and then send you home with instructions to take it easy. "Take it easy", in the medical world means, "Don't do anything."

I have friends who, with all their compassion and sympathy, are e-mailing me or calling me and making pirate jokes referring to the patch over my eye. "Arghh!" many of them say. My answer to them is that I am a Pirate who doesn't do anything, bringing to mind this song.

Edited by erkjohn

Okay, I have a weird reaction to that,... shudder tools in your eye. Sounds terrible! I hope you didn't have to be awake for it.

It's my understanding that the reason this type of surgery is usually done with the person awake is that there is a risk involving general anesthesia. During the surgery, there is always a possibility that the cranial nerves (3 & 5, I think) might crossfire from the insult. This would cause the heart rate to drop. Now, if the heart rate is already low, due to anesthesia, it could cause stoppage. At least that's the way I think I learned it in physiology class all those years ago.

When they did my left eye I scared sh#$$#less. When it was over I was thinking whats the big deal.

The biggest differance was that colors look differant. I never knew that white was white.

For those of you who have not had the operation you won't understand what I just said.

When they did my left eye I scared sh#$$#less. When it was over I was thinking whats the big deal.

The biggest differance was that colors look differant. I never knew that white was white.

For those of you who have not had the operation you won't understand what I just said.

Absolutely correct! That is also my experience, and almost no pain at all.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My understanding is that you are not even sedated as you are for a colonoscopy. When I typed these reports, a good while back. They started by suturing the upper lid to the eyebrow and the lower lid to the cheekbone. They then put drops in the eye to dilate it. They use a scalpel to slice the eye open,(this is called a "stab wound") insert a needle and shoot in some viscous Xylocaine (some doctors didn't even use that). Then they sever the ligaments that hold your lens in place, crush it with forceps, suck out the pieces and insert a new, artificial lens. After ascertaining it is in the correct position, they suture your eyeball closed and patch you and send you home.

I think I'd rather go blind. I don't drive that much, anyway.

WG

My understanding is that you are not even sedated as you are for a colonoscopy. When I typed these reports, a good while back. They started by suturing the upper lid to the eyebrow and the lower lid to the cheekbone. They then put drops in the eye to dilate it. They use a scalpel to slice the eye open,(this is called a "stab wound") insert a needle and shoot in some viscous Xylocaine (some doctors didn't even use that). Then they sever the ligaments that hold your lens in place, crush it with forceps, suck out the pieces and insert a new, artificial lens. After ascertaining it is in the correct position, they suture your eyeball closed and patch you and send you home.

I think I'd rather go blind. I don't drive that much, anyway.

WG

No no. They definitely use anesthesia and it's painless. The improvement in eyesight is well worth the process.

What Happens During Cataract Surgery?

Cataract surgery usually is done on an outpatient basis. You may be asked to skip breakfast and avoid drinking liquids, depending on the time of your surgery. Also, do not wear eye makeup on the day of surgery. Upon arrival at the facility, you will be given eye drops to dilate your pupils and perhaps a sedative to help you relax. A local or topical anesthetic will make the operation painless.

Get Adobe Flash player

If you can't see the video, you may need Flash Player.

(Click link to play this part)

The skin around your eye will be thoroughly cleansed, and sterile coverings will be placed around your eye and head. Under an operating microscope, at least one small incision is made into the eye. The surgeon will then remove your cloudy lens (the cataract).

This procedure can be performed using an ultrasound-driven instrument that "sonically" breaks up the cataract (phacoemulsification) as it is suctioned (aspirated) out of the eye.

In another surgical method, special instruments are used to mechanically break up the cloudy lens into small pieces (phacofracture) and remove them directly from the eye through a small incision.

The surgeon will insert a plastic or silicone IOL inside the eye to replace the natural lens that was removed.

Most incisions used for cataract surgery are self-sealing. However, on occasion, incisions may need to be sutured. When stitches are used, they rarely need to be removed.

http://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/cataract-surgery.htm

Edited by waysider

"Perhaps" given a sedative? How about a case of whiskey chased with Propofol?

Sounds all kinds of yuck, still.

Well, the sedative is quite a different issue than the anesthetic, which is a must because of patient reaction. Patient reaction also plays a big role in dental related anesthesia.

Paging Dr. Sudo! Paging Dr. Sudo!

Edited by waysider

In case you're wondering how this ended up in the "humor" section, it was because of the very first post when I posted a "Veggie Tales" song. I had had the surgery and I wasn't doing anything so I posted a song about that which was just uproariously funny, at least to me who was a bit bored and slap happy at the time.

"Perhaps" given a sedative? How about a case of whiskey chased with Propofol?

Sounds all kinds of yuck, still.

You've read too many medical journals.

• 3 months later...

WG, your explanation is terrifying.

Froggie, the posh words make it sound considerably less painful.

Such a simple procedure really.

A great blessing to us in "civilised" societies, but an absolute life saver in developing countries, where it means that essential family members can work to bring in a living for themselves and their dependents.

Developing country cataract success stories