GreaseSpot Cafe

Rock Star?

teachmevp

I'm not sure about rock "stars". Quite a few top notch professional rock musicians were once part of The Way, though. There is also a jazz star/icon who was involved at one time. If I'm not mistaken, his daughter is a WC grad.

I remember a promotion thing of the way, this rock star of jefferson starship or one them name changes, has anyone ever met this dude?

That would be a trip, to study the bible with a rock star?

Interesting. What year (time frame) would that have been in? I never did hear that myself.

And - - what leads to me to believe it's probably not true is - - - - - - - - > > >

Anyone famous (in any field) was usually "paraded" out in front of the masses of "faithful".

Kinda like a "photo op". "Lookee here at THIS BIG FISH we caught" sorta thing. :)

I personally would rather study the "circle of fifths" with an accomplished musician, rather than the bible. spy.gif

Seriously - - - if there was a guy/ gal/ whomever/ of "national recognition or importance" that had either taken the class,

or was hanging out with twi (in any shape or form), You can bet your bottom dollar that twi Hdqtrs would let you know they were there.

It happened with Hayes Gahagen (political guy from the Norrth East), several football players for the New England Patriots, etc.

If ANYONE from the Airplane/ Starship/ or whatever/ was hanging around twi, they would've had the red carpet rolled out for them.

AND - - - - you'd have heard them on the SNS teachings too. Folks like that are a "money ticket" for twi.

Like I said earlier - - - "Big fish, in a small pond". Twi doesn't waste any opportunity that is favorable to them.

I was still "in" and around in 82, and I never heard that. Not meaning to "diss" you, but it's inconceivable to me for that to be,

and twi to have NOT advertised it to milk the most out of it to the "faithful" back then, which included me. :)

(edited to add - - - - ) They (twi) made a HUGE deal about the music group Takit, and all the "worldly" accolades that had been accrued by some of it's members. Like I said - - - they didn't let a (money) opportunity pass them by. Personally, I think that to work at twi (in the upper echelon), the main qualification for work there, was to be able to hear a dollar bill drop on a shag carpet rug! biglaugh.gif

Edited by dmiller

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faJE92phKzI&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faJE92phKzI&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faJE92phKzI&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

TeachMe may be talking about Dave Garibaldi although I don't think he was with Starship. He was with Tower of Power. There was Denny Hoeffer and Skip Mesquite also with Tower of Power, and didn't Bob Stanley hit the big time too? I don't think they were with Starship either. Didn't Denise Williams (Let's Hear if for the Boy?") get involved? Some say Prince at one time was involved, but that seems to be a topic of debate.

There were always TWI "urban type" legends floating around about this guy or that gal "getting into the Word". A lot of the time somebody would have a chance meeting with a famous person, in an elevator or a county fair or something. The wayfer would have a "hey how're ya doin" or "Nice weather" conversation but tell his Way buddies that he "witnessed" to Mr. Famous Guy. Before you know it the story would grow and morph into "Mr. Famous guy took the class".

There were always TWI "urban type" legends floating around about this guy or that gal "getting into the Word". A lot of the time somebody would have a chance meeting with a famous person, in an elevator or a county fair or something. The wayfer would have a "hey how're ya doin" or "Nice weather" conversation but tell his Way buddies that he "witnessed" to Mr. Famous Guy. Before you know it the story would grow and morph into "Mr. Famous guy took the class".

:biglaugh: True

I have to say I never really understood the appeal of fame very well

People that would otherwise claim to personally know Jesus Christ would get all giddy if they met some third tier rocker or pro athlete as if they had seen a burning bush or something.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for all your input, msrar1 thanks for your wisdom, I got to remember to not get to wrapped up in this world.

It is crazy that even a star of something, would not be able to go to a fellowship, the word would get out that so and so, went to so and so fellowship, then it seems someone would try to make a name for themselves, by getting so and so to go to a more advanced fellowship, maybe that is why no one remembers this dude, he has been going to the advanced fellowships?

Thanks for all your insight on this, I remember seeing that promotion pamphlet, with that starship dude and a tennis lady.

I am sure one of the several former TWI musicians who drop in here can clarify the Starship question. As several have mentioned there were a number of nationally recognized musicians and athletes who dropped in from time to time. Some like Gar@b*^di are icons in their field. Skip M recently passed away as was noted here at GSC

I personally know one of the featured athletes in that 1980ish campaign, and I can assure you he was NOT paid for the use (or rather ABuse) of his name by TWI.

As far as I know, Dave Br~b~ck was not himself involved with TWI, other than by way of love and attachment to his wonderful daughter. One of her corps family might stop here and verify. He did attend at least one day of a ROA, possibly about the time she graduated from the Corps, and I have a sweet pic of him sitting next to the leechmeister, VPW

Thanks for sharing that with us, I think it would be hard for a musician to get in the way, they pay their dues to be where they got, endless hours of practice to find that sound, that made that person a star, seems it would be hard to do.