GreaseSpot Cafe

rethinking a song i once loved

brainfixed

The woman in the video didn't write the songs.

To me the words are a personal prayer, and always have been. They're like a single, small voice singing the simple truth to anyone, no one, doesn't matter who hears it or if anyone ever does, and the words don't rely on anyone else believing them to be true. They're the truth for the person singing it, with no great claim to a victory earned but rather a life realized through the eyes and love of another, God and His most personal expression Jesus Christ, His Son - Who loved the worst sinner, healed the most sick and touched the untouchable.

The depth of meaning might be less to anyone who hasn't seen the world looking up from the bottom, empty, alone and as gone as yesterday and even more forgotten - if only for a moment. When you come to the point where you can see the Darkness and welcome it as a friend come to finally be with you when no one else will - salvation is more than a word, a concept or even an impossible dream. It's life, the ultimate chance to wake up another day and for the first time in a long time feel like it's going to be the first of many good ones.

I thought my life wasn't worth, the pains of my birth

But oh the price He paid for me...

In my eyes I was nothing to no one

But in God's eyes I reigned supreme.

Then I found I was worth more than all the treasures on earth,

To God, I'm worth everything.

You are. We are. If we treated each other like that more and less like a mistake, an inconvenience to be avoided, life would be much better for everyone. Speaking from experience it's possible and it's a good thing. And that's a great song.

thank you everybody! now i know why i loved it so much because it helped me through the hardest times of my life when i honestly felt "I thought my life wasn't worth, the pains of my birth" i'm crying my eyes out right now because of how much i needed this song just to keep myself alive. thank you.

This is a bit off topic but I felt a need to clarify my position.

I am not saying this woman wrote these songs.

What I am saying is that she is claiming to have written them.

Being a bit of a writer myself, I can understand how bits and pieces of previous works can linger in your subconscious and creep into current efforts.(example: If you listen closely to "Layla", you can hear subtle influences of "As The Years Go Passing By".) But these are not phrases or figures, these are entire songs, complete with lyrics. And, what puzzles me is why she so openly discloses that other songs on her site are covers but specifically says she wrote these two.

These songs were written at a time when a copyright was only valid for 28 years, so, unless those copyrights were renewed, they would be in Public Domain. Still, even if a song is in Public Domain, you must give proper credit where it is due. In addition, once a song has fallen into Public Domain, it cannot be re-copyrighted---even by the original author.

Sorry for the derail.

Ownership of creative efforts is something that means a lot to me on a personal level.

Edited by waysider

I listened to both songs as performed by Donna and her claiming she wrote both is not true. I will let Stevie Kay and Dean E know and they can take from there.

My goodness you would think this woman should know better to claim she wrote those two songs.

God Bless

Ted

Thanks Ted! Maybe I'm weird but I was getting upset by this. It felt like something was being stolen. Those songs were great songs and very meaningful to me at the time and even now and I'm no adherent of TWI. I guess it just goes to show how deep down music can affect someone.

thank you everybody! now i know why i loved it so much because it helped me through the hardest times of my life when i honestly felt "I thought my life wasn't worth, the pains of my birth" i'm crying my eyes out right now because of how much i needed this song just to keep myself alive. thank you.

Thank you Brainfixed. I hadn't thought about this song for a long time.

Awesome to hear from Ted Ferrell and others. To consolidate, here are the complete lyrics (to our best reconstruction and recollection) for those of us who no longer have Stevie Kay's Love Child album:

Props to socks for supplying the corrected Chorus:

Oh The Price He Paid For Me

by Larry Panarello and Dean Ellenwood

Performed by Stevie Kay on the album Love Child

Verse

I spent most of my life without a dime to my name

while my friends all around me made their fortune and fame

I felt my life wasn't worth the pains of my birth

But Oh the price He paid for me

Chorus

In my eyes I was nothing to no one

But in God's eyes I reigned supreme.

Then I found I was worth more than all the treasures on earth,

To God, I'm worth everything.

Verse

when my ship was sailing in it went down off the coast

my friends all ran out when I needed them most

I felt my life was nothing til god made it something

But oh the price he paid for me

Chorus

Verse

Now I'm standing today where all the winners have lost

And I'm counting my blessings while they're counting the cost

you think your life isn't worth the pains of your birth

but oh the price he paid for you

Chorus

End

Edited by chockfull

Dean's got a current version of it around chockful and those look right. The lines "In my eyes" turn around the person,

"In your eyes" I believe on one of the choruses, but that's basically it. Thanks. I've got a copy of the original lyrics

around in what was then the Way Prod lyric binder, I'll pull it out next week and check.

Sidebar:

The person in the video's taken both songs down now and does claim to have written both and given them to the

Way ministry when she was younger, and also claims to have lost a "suit" against the Way over the song "He Gave Me Love".

She also claims that she can't remember if the Way "used it", the song He Gave Me Love, which is a tad goofy

as you wouldn't bring claim on a song and lose a suit over ownership of it if there was no use of it being challenged

by either side. So I guess memory being what it is, hers is somewhat....challenged.

Frankly if it were me, and I'd actually written the songs...I'd just say F off, don't like it? bring it on. But that's just me.

The idea of having written similar songs, lyrically and musically, isn't entirely impossible and that's a subject that gets

a lot of scrutiny and review whenever copyright issues are being looked at. But this story's not that. She claims to have

written and given them to the Way and even challenged the Way over ownership of one and lost.

I thought to drop her a line and try to get details and see what else she "remembers" but I'd rather not hassle someone who seems to have done the honorable thing, albeit with a poke or two to that effect and a story that doesn't stack right. But so it goes.

:)

I went there too and enjoyed a couple of the songs she has there and didn't enjoy one I was hoping to. Ah well, can't win 'em all.

Does anyone know the lyrics to "He Gave Me Love?" and how to buy a legal copy of that song? All I can remember is that I loved

that song and just that one line - "He gave me love" keeps playing in my head.

Socks My Friend

Yeah this gal is off her rocker and just trying to cover her butt. You know how the story goes when caught in a lie you make up another one.

About the song The Price He Paid the copyrights are owned by Boskin Music out of Cinncy Oh. When Stevie did Love Child album that was not a in house Way Prod.

venture.

Far as He Gave Me Love you know and I know Stevie wrote it and that's that.

Pray all is well with you Janet and family. Sure would love to see you someday

Love You Brother

Ted

Nice to see you two who know the score on those songs. I love those two songs myself BF and Chockfull. And hey, as an aside, but still on the topic of wonderful songs, I have a question to axe you Socks and Ted. First of all, at the first Heartbeat Festival, which took place at the Marin County Civic Center, I received a cassette tape of the weekend's biggest performance, an evening with Joyful Noise. I remember that "It's Gotta Be God" was on that one, as well as many other favorites. Even though many if not all of the songs by JN were on that tape, I loved that one in particular. The quality of sound was excellent, and either there was a couple of songs on it that were new, or I just liked the sound of it because I was in the crowd. Sadly, my '66 Volkswagen Fastback was broken into down in South Central LA shortly thereafter where I was a WOW that year, and my Alpine cassette deck was stolen, and in it, that tape from that night. I often prayed that the thief listened to the tape and got born again because of the words and sounds of the songs. BUT, I have also always thought that to get a copy of that evening's performance would have been so fine! I had often thought to ask Mark Glucken while he was still here with us if a copy of that was possible to acquire, because word had it that he had archived tons of recordings, including music. But, I never got around to it, and then sadly, Mark fell asleep. But I wonder, Socks and Ted, since you may have known some of those people, if you might know if there is a recording of that evening's performance? And if so, how I might acquire one?

HI CJ. I was at that Heartbeat, and the Seattle HB too, that year. I believe that year Good Seed played - ? if I'm remembering correctly, JN was out and about on field assignments that year and we were in California for the year.

I don't have that, sorry. Perhaps Ted or another will.

Yeah Ted, I can't really understand where that woman's coming from on this. Off her rocker is right.

I had to crack up seeing her facebook page and all the songs by Bob Dylan and others that she notes as "covers", giving the original artist full credit.

Yet, she stole - er-borrowed two "Christian" songs from others and put her name on them, thinking she'd get away with it.

Maybe we need a verse that goes "and be especially bad to anyone who's a Christian when you don't think anyone's looking".

HI CJ. I was at that Heartbeat, and the Seattle HB too, that year. I believe that year Good Seed played - ? if I'm remembering correctly, JN was out and about on field assignments that year and we were in California for the year.

I don't have that, sorry. Perhaps Ted or another will.

Yeah Ted, I can't really understand where that woman's coming from on this. Off her rocker is right.

I had to crack up seeing her facebook page and all the songs by Bob Dylan and others that she notes as "covers", giving the original artist full credit.

Yet, she stole - er-borrowed two "Christian" songs from others and put her name on them, thinking she'd get away with it.

Maybe we need a verse that goes "and be especially bad to anyone who's a Christian when you don't think anyone's looking".

Yep Socks this little fiasco is almost downright funny Guess she didn't know who she was trying to con. There are a few of us old fogies out there that have not lost our memory as yet. As for me I don't remember being absent minded. ha ha ha

Love You My Friend

Ted

Nice to see you two who know the score on those songs. I love those two songs myself BF and Chockfull. And hey, as an aside, but still on the topic of wonderful songs, I have a question to axe you Socks and Ted. First of all, at the first Heartbeat Festival, which took place at the Marin County Civic Center, I received a cassette tape of the weekend's biggest performance, an evening with Joyful Noise. I remember that "It's Gotta Be God" was on that one, as well as many other favorites. Even though many if not all of the songs by JN were on that tape, I loved that one in particular. The quality of sound was excellent, and either there was a couple of songs on it that were new, or I just liked the sound of it because I was in the crowd. Sadly, my '66 Volkswagen Fastback was broken into down in South Central LA shortly thereafter where I was a WOW that year, and my Alpine cassette deck was stolen, and in it, that tape from that night. I often prayed that the thief listened to the tape and got born again because of the words and sounds of the songs. BUT, I have also always thought that to get a copy of that evening's performance would have been so fine! I had often thought to ask Mark Glucken while he was still here with us if a copy of that was possible to acquire, because word had it that he had archived tons of recordings, including music. But, I never got around to it, and then sadly, Mark fell asleep. But I wonder, Socks and Ted, since you may have known some of those people, if you might know if there is a recording of that evening's performance? And if so, how I might acquire one?

Clay Jay

Yes I do have the Heartbeat album are these the songs you are thinking about

1.Easy To Love You (JN) 2.It's Gotta Be God (JN 3.Pioneer (pressed down) Putting Wings To Your Prayer (pressed down) 4.Brand New Way (Socks and JN) 5.Gospel Songs (pressed down) 6.Accidentally (JN) 7.Give A Listen (pressed down) 8.All The Love In Your Heart.(Claudetee and JN 9.He Was Quite A Man (JN) 10.You Rescued Me (JN)

Here is the skinny on this album. I have a very good friend in Michigan that is a master of doing superb remixes from LP'S to CD. We are working together to persevere

the oldies but goodies for our generation and the next ones should The Lord tarry. I will send Heartbeat in the next shipment to him. So if this is the album give me a shout by email with your mailing address and soon as the album is transferred I 'll send you a copy free of charge.My email address is ferrellsong@yahoo.com

God Bless

Ted

bowtwi

Send me by email your home address and soon as I can will send you free of charge a CD copy of He Gave Me Love My email is ferrellsong@yahoo.com

Have a great day and God Bless

Ted

Hey Ted,

I got an mp3 copy from Whitedove this afternoon and he's going to send me a cd in the mail so unless you've already mailed it out I have no need of it now. He sent it as

you do, free of charge.

He also reminded me of this site: http://www.cortright.org/bbmusic.htm

If anyone is interested they can write Whitedove at itiswrittenbksp@msn.com for more information.

He listed Dean Ellenwood, Good Seeds 3 CD's, Leon Hanson Someday Soon and Still Got Him, Sal Arico Watching and Brian Bliss' double CD is $22.00.

Again, Ted, thank you! And it's so good to cybersee you again!

Ya know Socks, I do believe that my memory here is correct. The very first year of the Heartbeat Festivals was held at the Marin County Civic Center (MCCC). And that year, around the country, Joyful Noise was the "accompanying band". Well, at least the first one in Marin County was. The next year, 1978, Good Seed was the band that went around the country "playing the Heartbeats". I remember the Heart beat in '78 at the MCCC, and that it was Good Seed that year instead of JN, and it too was a great time.

What makes me remember for sure that it was JN the first time in '77 was this: As a WOW, I was assigned as a bless patrol guy to "guard" an area near the back stage of the civic center. I and my BP Partner were told by Rev. Dave Standage to "not let anyone pass into this certain area", and; "I don't care if they're members from Joyful Noise, they don't go through". And then, along comes this pair of dudes who looked exactly like Brian Bliss and Johnny Ruiz (guitar player for JN), who wanted to pass into the area that we were told not to let people pass into. I wasn't sure if it was really them, because the devil just might have made a couple of "replicas", but they sure did look authentic. I'd seen 'em on stage at my first Rock in '76 just before I went out WOW! And also down in DC at the 'Merica Awakes concert! But I had had my orders...

So, I was at a major cross roads. I mean, I knew that BB and JR were members of Joyful noise, but a REVEREND had told us to not let anyone pass "even if they were members of Joyful Noise"! And so, even though they were saying with kindness and compassion and really not any real ego that they were "actually members of Joyful Noise", I still wouldn't let them go past. They rolled their eyes at each other, which I painfully understood, but still, a Reverend, a Man Of God had given us our orders, and so, even though my watch partner wanted to give in, I did not. And so, Johnny and Brian just shrugged politely, and went back the other way, undoubtedly to find another way to get where they were going. Good form on their part, I have later come to think. Gracious to the "young galoot WOW" on a mission for God...

The tape in question, Ted and Socks, was probably sort of a "bootleg tape", not an official one to have been produced properly. If any one has a copy of it, it might be the late Mark Gluckin. But the songs on that list that you mentioned are certainly ones I would love to hear again fore shore. Many of them were on that tape. And ya know Socks, I have a funny feeling that I just may have met you at one time way back in the day. It's just a feeling though... ;-)