GreaseSpot Cafe

Ever wonder why?

OldSkool

Any of you ever wonder why "moonlighting" or side jobs are so strongly discouraged for way international staff?

Answer: Rosalie believes if you have extra time on your hands you should give it in service to the way international. That's right. Tight on money? Volunteer. Need some extra savings? Just give some more.

Please, wayfers. Stop taking financial advice from an ex-school teacher who is loaded with family money and used way builders to build her house (which she owns scott free) for pennies on the dollar. And of course she has to draw a fair salary for being an officer of TWI. If you ask her, she is exempt and can give as many hours as she needs to. So you should do the same. :rolleyes:

I am not saying God will not bless a person as they cheerfully give. But if you have need of money you had best take the extra time and do the smart thing. Work for pay. Exiting soapbox now.

I remember in one of those leadership training classes or seminars we were taught to delegate tasks.

and, this particular phrase was a key point in the presentation: "If you really need to get something done, ask someone who's already busy."

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The rationale behind this apparent paradox is indicated in quot. 1997.

It means. specifically, that you must banish all idleness; and it also means, in a general way, that if you want something done, you should ask a busy person—like me—to do it.

[1984 Christian Science Monitor 26 Oct. 38]

SOURCE

---------------------------------------------------------------------

"If you really need to get something done, ask someone who's already busy."

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The rationale behind this apparent paradox is indicated in quot. 1997.

It means. specifically, that you must banish all idleness; and it also means, in a general way, that if you want something done, you should ask a busy person—like me—to do it.

[1984 Christian Science Monitor 26 Oct. 38]

SOURCE

---------------------------------------------------------------------

This is one of the rare times I am left speechless.

Any of you ever wonder why "moonlighting" or side jobs are so strongly discouraged for way international staff?

Answer: Rosalie believes if you have extra time on your hands you should give it in service to the way international. That's right. Tight on money? Volunteer. Need some extra savings? Just give some more.

Please, wayfers. Stop taking financial advice from an ex-school teacher who is loaded with family money and used way builders to build her house (which she owns scott free) for pennies on the dollar. And of course she has to draw a fair salary for being an officer of TWI. If you ask her, she is exempt and can give as many hours as she needs to. So you should do the same. :rolleyes:

I am not saying God will not bless a person as they cheerfully give. But if you have need of money you had best take the extra time and do the smart thing. Work for pay. Exiting soapbox now.

OldSkool.....I'm not sure if your posed question is rhetorical, or not?

Moonlighting at The Way....was a no-no back in the '70s when wierwille was in charge. Some staffers who lived near Wapakoneta had chickens and would sell the eggs....and, when found out, was against the rules. And, no....the mechanics couldn't help work on cars on weekends for cash. And no.....the carpenters couldn't pound nails at your home for extra cash.

There came a point when "Moonlighting" was the main topic at a staff meeting. Of course, twi denegrated it as not believing God would meet your need. Back then, lots of staffers were free-wheeling and didn't walk in lockstep as in later years. Rules were rules.....but, so what?

IMO....the moonlighting rules were twi's attempt to corral the staff in dependency and control. Just seems when people are independent and motivated to better their financial situation with extra work......they LEAVE twi confines.

Even today......why does Rosalie despise J0hn L!nder for being a realtor on his off-hours? I mean, what's the big deal? Does she want him to pick up a broom and sweep floors? It's his life. What is her problem?

• Upvote 1

OldSkool.....I'm not sure if your posed question is rhetorical, or not?

Not rhetorical, definitely open for discussion. It's interesting to me to hear some of the history you included. I think Preservation Society fits TWI.

It's interesting to me to hear some of the history you included. I think Preservation Society fits TWI.

IF twi was obligated to 'meet the needs of the staff'....WHY were staffers moonlighting?

It bothered wierwille....he said so, publically.

He addressed it as a lack of believing God and dishonesty.

In other words, he wanted to shame people from doing it.

But I contend that there were other reasons WHY people did it besides the financial reason. For one thing, it gave people something to do besides twi's boot-scootin' boogey on Saturdays, or whatever. If a staff electrician could stop by and fix a problem, why not? Should the follower hire some 'unbeliever' to do the job at a higher cost?

And, then......there were instances where the barter system worked well. :redface:

Yeah, that's right.....exchanging someone's service for something else.

No cash exchanged. Just one believer helping another....and a 'gift' given.

See.....rules could be bended a long way, without being broken. :biglaugh:

If truth be told.....I helped G@ry Fr3d3rick at his house. No money exchanged.

If truth be told.....I helped Rosie Rivenbark at her house in 1987. No money exchanged.

See......Gary and Rosalie were complicit in 'bending' the rules.

Edited by skyrider

See......Gary and Rosalie were complicit in 'bending' the rules.

I can't speak for Gary's viewpoint, but I will guarantee that Rosie will rely on God to repay you. After all, if you give more than 10% it's God's job to open the windows of heaven to pour you out a blessing you shall not have room enough to receive. God forbid that she should credit or recompense those that built her house.

Presently she has service oriented departments at the way swing by and clean her house, mow her lawn, etc. She is charged a nominal fee because the law says that sort of thing uncompensated would be a private inurement. Yet she sneers down at others who have given abundantly and are on hard times as having insufficient believing for God to meet their need, instead of pouring out compassion, mercy and grace in the person's direction. Another digression....yet I want it known.