Sing Along The Way

Thomas Loy Bumgarner

OMG, LOL! which edition was that? :biglaugh::smilie_kool_aid:

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG, LOL! which edition was that? :biglaugh::smilie_kool_aid:

They were already doing this stuff ---at Carnegie Hall---in 1971!

As much as I really did like some of the very early Way music, I don't think we were breaking any new ground.

edit: I probably should have put this on the Way Musicians thread but so it goes.

Edited by waysider

surprised that Way Productions never made it to Carnegie Hall/Lincoln Center :biglaugh::rolleyes::smilie_kool_aid::eusa_clap:

Hmmm....being from the Left Coast there was good representation of change in music in the 60's. The "Jesus Movement" is a touch point. I follow a track that it all reflected the changes in society. The way "folk" music developed into a commercial format that rolled out slowly in the 50's and 60's contributed. "Rock" music was always a flash point in religious circles. Cross pollination of Black and White gospel segments. "Country".

I've heard so much music over the years. 1970 I went cross country for the first time and it was like dropping off the edge of the earth into a new world "out there". Technology was carrying music everywhere - radio, vinyl, magnetic tape and of course television and live performance. But going from music that's produced in it's own pipeline to performing in a location where everyone's saturation point is vastly different was eye opening. In California I'd already travelled day trips and over nighters through the state and knew diversity in a commercial vein but seeing the range across the country in a slice like that allowed me to learn a lot. (and yeah, we ran across Keaggy that year too and talked about the Sons if I recall, Phil's always been a very talented heart felt musician).

Generally speakin' the popular format of "Christian" music as we see it today was very, very young. I'd heard some things by the late 60's but already it was moving out of the folk genre and into other styles. Black and White gospel were already there of course but very inward oriented, there was no commercial channel for it unless people left the one and went into "secular". Every year or two there'd be a break out hit - "The Singing Nun" or Norman Greenbaum (knew a guy locally who told me when that hit - hey! I know Norm' - he's Jewish! It was funny and he of course popularized an early recording using a "killswitch" technique - as a guitarist I didn't hear that much on the radio so although the song was hmm, not my thing as a musician or a Christian it caught my ear).

Good Lord - there were the days when gospel groups would travel with a full rhythm section and possibly pickup other players along the way and depending on the church, use whatever was allowed. One - no drums! Drums = bad. So the drummer would have to hang out. Bass? Electric bad = bad! Take a break. Others - piano only! so there'd a bunch of guys sitting it out. Others - we love that stuff bring it on. I've heard some fascinating raps on trio versus quartet versus quintet versus choir/chorale and why one's more godly than another or one just isn't godly at all. :blink:

I went through the musical iconoclast stage and that was good for me and Way Productions at that time was a bit of that for me cuz that style of folk/soft rock/cabaret/country thing wasn't on my radar at all. But doing that I learned SO much from and with the others that came through there with me and after me, some very talented and hard working people with a lotta love. And Ted - Ted's story alone is worth a book or two. He's been dere, done dat. I felt playing with him like - I realized very early on when others of us from my 'hood first heard he and Mardelle and got to know them - MAN. This guy's the real thing. First week I met him he gave me and another guy a tour of his music collection - boxes of sheet music stacked 4 high and music ranging from Bing Crosby to Muddy Waters. In Ted I saw a kindred heart - music, any music, all music, gimme music. 'Sall good. I learned a lot from him and for that, there's no price. Cheers!

. Today the field of music is open to a range that would have been almost unbelievable in say, 1965, That's a good thing IMO. But it has been a long strange trip to say the least and looks to be far from over. :)

• 1 month later...

Yesterday, June 12 was Pentecost Sunday. Did you sing hymns/praise songs relating to the topic of Holy Spirit, and did you read Acts 2 as part of worship? Inquiring minds want to know

Edited by Thomas Loy Bumgarner

i didn't even know it was pentecost sowwy

i have a jewish boss and she and i listen to elvis sing gospel hymns and we cry together

Ex, you are forgiven. was just curious. Surprising that most Pentecostalists and Charismatics don't even realize this or celebrate that Sunday. Ironic, isn't it?

Thomas this last Sunday got by me also, my oh my ! The church mt wife and I attend did not mention it being Pentecost.

There is a lot of newer gospel songs that I really like,for instance a song by Carrie Underwood titled There Is A Place For Us. So much of the new gospel songs I enjoy come from country gospel. Maybe that's because I'm still a hillbilly at heart.

Socks I have a question for you do you recall who wrote the songs that Helen did one called Right Now and A Reason To Be Breathing ? i think Reason To Be Breathing was written by Richie. The reason I'm asking is because there is a fellow musician that has big church band and wants to record these two songs.He wants to give writers credits and obtain permission.I have asked Helen but her memory is about as bad as mine.Thanks for your help.

Thomas this last Sunday got by me also, my oh my ! The church mt wife and I attend did not mention it being Pentecost.

There is a lot of newer gospel songs that I really like,for instance a song by Carrie Underwood titled There Is A Place For Us. So much of the new gospel songs I enjoy come from country gospel. Maybe that's because I'm still a hillbilly at heart.

Socks I have a question for you do you recall who wrote the songs that Helen did one called Right Now and A Reason To Be Breathing ? i think Reason To Be Breathing was written by Richie. The reason I'm asking is because there is a fellow musician that has big church band and wants to record these two songs.He wants to give writers credits and obtain permission.I have asked Helen but her memory is about as bad as mine.Thanks for your help.

Think it was Richie on "Reason" - I'll look at my old lyric binder for both when I get back tonight - I think the author was listed for each.

thank you for your forgiveness thomas loy :)

ted, my friend -- is that why we get along so well -- jersey girl / hillbilly

i'll have to listen to that song there is a place for us -- i like the title

i would give anything to hear helen sing "right now" -- i'm trying to remember the other one "reason to be breathing"

where is richie?

love,e

This is one of the things I think is so cool about GreaseSpot---We have people from all walks of life, with all sorts of doctrinal differences and, yet, there is a willingness, an eagerness to do something helpful for each other by resolving these copyright/usage questions.

Well, I just thought somebody should say it.

My Adorable Exie

Yeah we always did get along pretty darn good and still do. Could it be because of you being a Jersey girl and me and old West Virginia hilbilly.

I think I have your email addy if so I'll forward you a copy of There's A Place for us.I mean to tell you Carrie Underwood sings her heart out on it.

Richie lives in NYC I think in the Bronx.

Ken and Helen live about 90 minutes away from us we keep in touch and see one another from time to time. They are doing great.

E i pray things are going good for you and all is well.Love you girl and always will.

Your Hillbilly Friend

Ted

Gotta say Ted, both tunes were well suited to Helen's voice and style.

Right Now, that's the "gimme some big fat jazz style chords, maybe some Wes octaves". It was a fun tune, standard turnarounds, in the key of C. We did a version where I played nylon string on it at some point if memory serves, for some presentation. Fun tune, still remember the solo note for note.

Reason was an even tempo, key of E. Standard changes, nice tune.

Thanks JR my friend for the info. I thought I had it right on both tunes but was not real sure.

Yes I recall about Right Now it was one of Helen's first songs she sang at The Crescent Theater. I asked you to do a Wes Montgomery lead and as usual you did a super job.

I still am one of your biggest fans cause man you can play guitar like no one I've ever heard. Hey let' get a band together and go on the road. You me, Lepenski, Ellenwood,MCcaw and any other stray cats we can find.

My pleasure Ted. Yes, Right Now is from the "beginning" there. That song will always represent a unique musical memory for me, for lots of reasons.

Dean was and I'm sure still is one great finger style player, and he and the Cliffster and Richie all used that acoustic Travis style really well. Richie's style was very rhythmic, he could do a lot with a guitar. Cliff was simple, thoughtful, elegant. Dean kinda took the whole thing to another level. I'd never done much with that style before that. I'd always done kind of a reverse bass thumb roll before that hitting the 2 and 4 in the measure (being left handed it felt more natural) and I learned to chunk down on the "one" in finger style, listening to them. I related it to soul/r and b beats - get it on the one and go from there. It made sense in a weird way, finally which may account for how I ended up sounding - I was thinking JB (hit me!) and they were playing acoustic finger style stuff. :biglaugh:. Learned a lot, from all.

Stray cats is right. :biglaugh:

Thanks JR my friend for the info. I thought I had it right on both tunes but was not real sure.

Yes I recall about Right Now it was one of Helen's first songs she sang at The Crescent Theater. I asked you to do a Wes Montgomery lead and as usual you did a super job.

I still am one of your biggest fans cause man you can play guitar like no one I've ever heard. Hey let' get a band together and go on the road. You me, Lepenski, Ellenwood,MCcaw and any other stray cats we can find.

Ted, I play drums and percussion, and keyboards/synthesizer. Maybe we can show Casting Crowns, Hillsong, Paul Baloche, Don Moen, Steven Curtiss Chapman, and David Crowder a thing or two, :biglaugh::eusa_clap:

BTW, our church sang Breathe on me, breath of God-Lucy Fisher/Hillsong; (Holy Spirit) You are welcome in this place-Darlene Zsech/Hillsong; Come Holy Spirit-Darrell Evans; Spirit of gentleness; There's a sweet,sweet Spirit in this place; and Holy Spirit, rain down.

Edited by Thomas Loy Bumgarner