GreaseSpot Cafe

The ultimate Foe

Ham

some of the literature involved..

those in political power and wealth, who had to offer services to those who could not afford to pay. They slightly grumbled, and did what they had to do..

It was "republican wives". Forget the author.. maybe somebody could refresh my recollection.. it's getting shorter..

what am I looking for here. I don't know..

I hope somebody can toss me a bone or something..

:biglaugh:

i was talking to my mom yesterday and my brother's wife was going to visit the grave of her own parents where my mom and ed will be buried -- and she invited mom along -- and my said she didn't need to see it ahead of time -- and then she told me not to worry about bringing her flowers at her grave because all my love had and has been given to her in life and she won't see them at her grave

she believes death is the beginning of her good -- or better -- life

Ham: When I got on GSC this morning there was a note to me saying that you wanted to engage in a conversation with me or something. I clicked on it and my PM is still not accessable to me. Don't know why. If you think this will be an involved conversation then maybe bring it up on the personal soapbox thread, the proverbial no man's land for off topic discussions.

Ham: When I got on GSC this morning there was a note to me saying that you wanted to engage in a conversation with me or something. I clicked on it and my PM is still not accessable to me. Don't know why. If you think this will be an involved conversation then maybe bring it up on the personal soapbox thread, the proverbial no man's land for off topic discussions.

it was an offer of friendship.. no soap opera or anything...

so who is the "ultimate foe". The devil? or some other abstract concept?

In THIS particular world, who is it..

what about the fellow who buys a tee-shirt made in Pakistan, by a drugged teenage worker?

You know.. that is how they get young kids to be able to repetitively perform menial tasks, don't you?

YOUR dollar votes for this kind of behavior and practice..

I mean. "I will" to have this tiny bit of prosperity. at what cost?

its nice to have a scapegoat in all of this..

When I consume red meat, I pray for the soul that was sacrificed for my sustenance..

same damned thing. When I read the label on the mostly cotton tee-shirt, I pray for the people who manufactured it..

capitalism is an unrestrained, for the moment, Pig..

who feeds the pig..

maybe Leary was right..

We get to make our dent in them no matter how big or small while we are here--otherwise whats the point of being here at all?

we have the privilege to leave an impression.. maybe that's all there is to an after-life.. who know..

so in my war against the "beast".

I refuse, to pay an everyday low price for.. anything. The seventeen extra cents generally goes to a less harrassed, un-demasculated worker..

my own personal nemesis would shop at Wal*mart.

let's say that is the only place I could afford my meds. I would get in, get the meds. Bypass aisle five, with cut flowers, imported from India's most fertile land, the land of big screens and computers, and get the hell out, as fast as my feet could carry me.

I can look into the soul of wal*mart as well, and see myself. It is not a place which I want to be..

pin stripes. that only bothered early color televisions..

this is the last generations technology:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTSC

the problem was, when one transmitted too thin of a stripe in the pin stripes, the luminance frequencies entered the pass band of the chrominance frequencies. In other words (plain english) if the lines were too close together, you would see colors dancing between them while watching the show.

I used to work on this stuff..

The comb filter was a pretty big deal in the early eighties.

Sylvania had a little comb filter board, that one could plug into their E-50 series chassis.

The chip must have been over clocked or something. I ended up replacing quite a few of them..

along with the digital memory module in the tuner. At least it was a plug in replacement..

but I replaced the defective IC in both of these little boards..

Fast forward to the 2000's.

I've replaced cheap failed chinese manufactured 2200 microfarad capacitors in Pentium IV motherboards, and in the power supplies..

a Pentium IV is still useful. It can do enough computerish things to surf the internet..

and its relatively cheap, second hand. Or even in a form of a throwaway. i.e. free. Install Linux.. and you have a perfectly capable to surf the internet computer. along with open office.

So.. in the university I'm at.. at the moment. There is a literal sea of such failed computers.

so some character comes in, with an expensive desoldering tool.. a nice temperature controlled Weller soldering iron.. a little bit of desoldering braid, in case we have a small splash of molten solder, somewhere..

"hey.. it ONLY university property.. we really don't care what happens to it here.. they've slashed our budget as it is, and we don't really give a s*it.."

*they* are at war with the math department. Get far less funding, you know.. it's the POLITICS that is a killer here..

true story.

so I use the de-soldering tool. the stinking capacitor drops off the board.. the new one goes in. I mop up the solder spill. And.. it still works.. or rather, it works. First attempt at boot. Previously, it took about 12 attempts.

I hope all of this makes sense to SOMEBODY.. other than myself..

why am I saying all of this.. I dunno. In the end all I got was a real, working computer. Other than the one at home, and the two that I drag to school at various times..

The reason I am not at my last job?

The boss could not understand the comb filter..

it all was beyond his control..

would you trust your computer to a maniacal squirrel, with a hot soldering iron?

I even repaired that clueless numbnut's laptop, with a soldering iron..

"no guarantees fella but.."

it still worked.

or rather, worked.

I couldn't repair the kodak digital camera though.

the ribbon cable was so thin.. one touch of any kind of soldering iron, and it is melted into a form that it will never successfully interface with a replacement circuit board. Provided one could even get one, to begin with..