GreaseSpot Cafe

TV Show Mash-Up

bfh

3 hours ago, modcat5 said:

Well THAT narrowed it down... [not a joke].

Glau has been in a number of short-run series.  (I was always afraid she'd get Arrow canned, just by appearing in a few episodes.)  Clearly, this one wasn't "Firefly," as the second clue indicates it came after the movie :"Serenity."  As far as I know, this is the only of her series based on a movie franchise.

George

Correct.  She played a female Terminator.  One of my favorite lines had Sarah Connor, John Connor, and Cameron (Glau) jumping into a truck to head off on a mission.

John:  "I call shotgun!"

Cameron: "I call 9 millimeter!"  :biglaugh:

Glau is a fine actress (and easy on the eyes).  I'm not sure why she's never been in a show that lasted.

George

This TV show had a few things that I'll always remember.

1)  Masked wrestlers like "Red Devil" and "Señor Bag-of-Cr@p."

2) The above wrestlers once kidnapped Lou Diamond Phillips (and also tried to get his autograph.)

3) A regular feature of this show (which dates this) was a set of video clips for prospective dates you might dial in to meet.  "LOWERED EXPECTATIONS."  (Once you've seen a few of their ads, you'll understand how apt was the title.)

This other TV was short-lived but I liked it more. It most regular feature was probably "the Chicano Militant Minute." This interrupted your re-gu-lar-ly schedule program to hear from some cholos whenever they felt like it.  Their best moments were probably their "Latino Outings." They contacted a celebrity, announced he/she was Latino/a, and gave them new names. "Vanna White? Your new and better name is 'Vanna Blanca.' '"  They contacted Charlie Sheen, and offered to out him and his father out of the Latino Closet but to throw his brother Emilio back IN!     They contacted Edward James Olmos to 'out' him as Latino. "Of course I'm Latino.  Everyone knows that!"  "...........Right, and don't you forget it! Your new, better name is now 'Eduardo James Olmos.' "

Name either to take the round.

2) The above wrestlers once kidnapped Lou Diamond Phillips (and also tried to get his autograph.)

3) A regular feature of this show (which dates this) was a set of video clips for prospective dates you might dial in to meet.  "LOWERED EXPECTATIONS."  (Once you've seen a few of their ads, you'll understand how apt was the title.)

4) Strictly speaking, the TV show had a "mascot"-which really wasn't the show's idea or fault. (Why?)

5) Occasionally, this show had several seconds of animation between scenes.

6) This show was a comedy.

This other TV was short-lived but I liked it more. It most regular feature was probably "the Chicano Militant Minute." This interrupted your re-gu-lar-ly schedule program to hear from some cholos whenever they felt like it.  Their best moments were probably their "Latino Outings." They contacted a celebrity, announced he/she was Latino/a, and gave them new names. "Vanna White? Your new and better name is 'Vanna Blanca.' '"  They contacted Charlie Sheen, and offered to out him and his father out of the Latino Closet but to throw his brother Emilio back IN!     They contacted Edward James Olmos to 'out' him as Latino. "Of course I'm Latino.  Everyone knows that!"  "...........Right, and don't you forget it! Your new, better name is now 'Eduardo James Olmos.' "  In the case of this show, I will also accept the name of the show's HOST, since it was unmistakably HIS show by any name.

Name either to take the round.

4) Strictly speaking, the TV show had a "mascot"-which really wasn't the show's idea or fault. (Why?) It also pre-dated the show by a few DECADES, and the show was stuck with it.

5) Occasionally, this show had several seconds of animation between scenes.

6) This show was a comedy.

This other TV was short-lived but I liked it more. It most regular feature was probably "the Chicano Militant Minute." This interrupted your re-gu-lar-ly schedule program to hear from some cholos whenever they felt like it.  Their best moments were probably their "Latino Outings." They contacted a celebrity, announced he/she was Latino/a, and gave them new names. "Vanna White? Your new and better name is 'Vanna Blanca.' '"  They contacted Charlie Sheen, and offered to out him and his father out of the Latino Closet but to throw his brother Emilio back IN!     They contacted Edward James Olmos to 'out' him as Latino. "Of course I'm Latino.  Everyone knows that!"  "...........Right, and don't you forget it! Your new, better name is now 'Eduardo James Olmos.' "  In the case of this show, I will also accept the name of the show's HOST, since it was unmistakably HIS show by any name.

In 2003, a man named Juan Catalan was arrested for murder in Los Angeles. He repeatedly professed his innocence, and asked to take a polygraph test, a request that the police denied (note: polygraph tests aren't admissible in court). He also had an alibi. He swore that at the time of the murder, he was at Dodger Stadium with his little girl, watching the Dodgers vs. the Braves, but his lawyer was unable to find him in any of the Dodger Vision or FOX footage he subpoenaed. However, he discovered that there was another source of crowd footage: This show, season four, episode six, The Car Pool Lane (2004) had filmed at Dodger Stadium that night. Although Catalan did not make the final cut of the show, his lawyer was finally able to find him and his daughter in the outtakes, and determined from the timestamps on the tapes that Catalan could not have been the killer. When told that his show had released a wrongfully accused man from prison and a trial that could have led to the death penalty, the star commented, "I tell people that I've now done one decent thing in my life, albeit inadvertently." The documentary Long Shot (2017) is about these events.

In 2003, a man named Juan Catalan was arrested for murder in Los Angeles. He repeatedly professed his innocence, and asked to take a polygraph test, a request that the police denied (note: polygraph tests aren't admissible in court). He also had an alibi. He swore that at the time of the murder, he was at Dodger Stadium with his little girl, watching the Dodgers vs. the Braves, but his lawyer was unable to find him in any of the Dodger Vision or FOX footage he subpoenaed. However, he discovered that there was another source of crowd footage: This show, season four, episode six, The Car Pool Lane (2004) had filmed at Dodger Stadium that night. Although Catalan did not make the final cut of the show, his lawyer was finally able to find him and his daughter in the outtakes, and determined from the timestamps on the tapes that Catalan could not have been the killer. When told that his show had released a wrongfully accused man from prison and a trial that could have led to the death penalty, the star commented, "I tell people that I've now done one decent thing in my life, albeit inadvertently." The documentary Long Shot (2017) is about these events.

There is no script to each episode, just a heavily detailed plot outline, which the actors and actresses all improvise. On average, each scene will require between seven or eight takes, which is very high for a television series on a tight schedule.

Whenever the main character inevitably finds himself lying to his wife about his latest convoluted mishap, the actress is as genuinely in the dark, as her character. That's because she is not privy to the full script outline, only being exposed to her own scenes.

George

No.  I'm sure Succession was tightly scripted.  And it wasn't around in 2003.

There is no script to each episode, just a heavily detailed plot outline, which the actors and actresses all improvise. On average, each scene will require between seven or eight takes, which is very high for a television series on a tight schedule.

Whenever the main character inevitably finds himself lying to his wife about his latest convoluted mishap, the actress is as genuinely in the dark, as her character. That's because she is not privy to the full script outline, only being exposed to her own scenes.

This current show is in its last season.

George

This current HBO show is in its last season.

The show is semi-autobiographical.

The star apparently didn't want fans to think Seinfeld 2.0 was coming, knowing that people can have unnecessary expectations.

George

2 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Correct.

Heard of it, WW?

George

Strictly speaking, I have.  I had no idea it was still on the air. I thought it went off the air over a decade ago.  I know it's the show of that bald guy that worked behind-the-scenes on "Seinfeld."  That's pretty much all I know about it, unless I remember his name, say.  Never seen an episode.

If not for this TV Show, the Super Bowl Halftime Show as we know it would not have been a thing. For years, the halftime show was a cheesy spectacle of dance numbers, bands, magic... you know, filler fluff. So this show decided to capitalize on halftime one year by airing a live segment during Super Bowl halftime. Producers promised to end the segment so that viewers would be able to go back to the Super Bowl in time for the second half to start.

It worked brilliantly. They got 20 million viewers to switch channels during halftime.

The following year, the Super Bowl Halftime Show was a Michael Jackson concert.

Name the show that changed the Super Bowl.

I actually remember this.  In fact, I might have actually watched the show..  I can't remember what it was, right now.  It wasn't a scripted show, because they had to be able to adjust the amount of time to whenever the halftime would end.

In Living Color?

George