GreaseSpot Cafe

TV Show Mash-Up

bfh

3 hours ago, WordWolf said:

-The theme song hit the charts. It had lyrics.  It lacked something important- which sent the show's management rushing to make a last-minute change to the show to accommodate the theme song.

The theme song lacked the name of the show- "KOTTER." The song had the right idea and was called "Welcome Back."  So, they changed the name of the show to "Welcome back Kotter."

21 hours ago, WordWolf said:

-Most of the principal cast went on to do smaller things. 1 has done plays, another has done a one-man show, but another became VERY famous.

Ron Palillo/Horshack did Broadway, Gable Kaplan's one-man show was "Gabe Kaplan is Groucho", and was biographical.  John Travolta became very famous.

-One character's last name supposedly translates to "the cattle are dying."

The alleged translation into English of "Horshack."

-All of the characters were of course fictional, but four of them were notably inspired by real-life people, whose names were partially used for the characters (a first name or a last name.)

Gabe Kaplan told stand-up jokes about kids he went to school with- and those jokes became the basis for the Sweathogs.

-In the show's final season, we see little of the show's main heartthrob (another is introduced) and even less of the title character (although he didn't disappear entirely.)

Travolta wanted out to do bigger things. He'd spent a LOT of money getting his name and image around for 3 years, and it was paying off.    Kaplan was in stalled contract negotiations.

-If you like really, really old jokes, this show might be for you.  On the other hand, if you've never heard all of the really, really old jokes yet, this show might be for you also, since they're new to you.  (The Mrs quite liked that about watching this show.)

Each episode usually ended with Kotter telling his wife an old time joke, allegedly about something in the life of one of his countless uncles. "Did I ever tell you about my uncle..."

-This show was never shot on-location, so all its scenes were filmed on sets, which explains why they all seemed to happen in about 3-4 places per season (like this character's home, that character's home, this one's office, that one's work area, one spot outdoors, a hallway.)  That having been said, anyone watching all of any episode should have a general idea of where the show was set.

The opening shot was of the "welcome to Brooklyn" sign.  Another shot was of New Utrecht High School, which inspired the show (and were rivals in-show to Buchanan High School.) 

-Most of the time, cooking wasn't a subject of discussion- but one character was infamous for making a frightening dish when they made Tuna Casserole. (Even Mad Magazine's spoof mentioned it.)

Julie Kotter's Tuna Casserole was infamous.

-One character introduced himself by name, adding "The Last." "Tell them why you're The Last." "Because when they made me, they broke the mold." That character's actor had a Dad with severe breathing problems, which inspired the actor to add something to his character.

Horshack and Barbarino when Arnold was introduced. Ron Palillo's Dad's labored breathing inspired Arnold's croaking laugh.

-The show's curmudgeon was played by the oldest actor in the group. (He later passed away at age 68.) The character was actually really good at his previous job, just too jaded to care to make the effort anymore.  His age and height (or lack thereof) were often commented on during episodes.

John Sylvester White played Mr Woodman. He had no confidence in the Sweathogs. In the one episode he filled in as their History teacher, he put on historical costumes and really engaged them in the lessons, surprising everyone.

This show was primarily live-action, but also featured cartoons :  Arabian Knights, The Three Musketeers, The Hillbilly Bears, Micro Ventures, and The Adventures of Gulliver.

Some songs written for the show were penned by Barry White, Al Kooper, and Gene Pitney.

Characters on this show had a cross-over comic book with The Suicide Squad in 2017.

George

This show was primarily live-action, but also featured cartoons :  Arabian Knights, The Three Musketeers, The Hillbilly Bears, Micro Ventures, and The Adventures of Gulliver.

The show also had a live action feature, "Danger Island," starring a young Jan-Michael Vincent.

Some songs written for the show were penned by Barry White, Al Kooper, and Gene Pitney.

Characters on this show had a cross-over comic book with The Suicide Squad in 2017.

The main characters were Fleegle, Bingo, Drooper, and Snorky.

George

3 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

This show was primarily live-action, but also featured cartoons :  Arabian Knights, The Three Musketeers, The Hillbilly Bears, Micro Ventures, and The Adventures of Gulliver.

The show also had a live action feature, "Danger Island," starring a young Jan-Michael Vincent.

The main characters were Fleegle, Bingo, Drooper, and Snorky.

George

Apparently, I haven't logged in lately.

I remember the cartoons well.  Uh, oh, chango!  Danger Island would ring a bell all by itself.

"Flipping like a pancake, popping like a cork, Fleegle, Bingo, Drooper and Snork." - right from the theme song of THE BANANA SPLITS.

Any idea what happened in the cross-over?

(And I never saw "Micro Ventures", can you tell me something about them?)

1 hour ago, WordWolf said:

Any idea what happened in the cross-over?

(And I never saw "Micro Ventures", can you tell me something about them?)

I didn't buy the cross-over.

I don't know about the Micro Ventures, either.  I remember when the show came out, but I can't remember if I actually WATCHED it...

George

Ok, next one.

This was a sitcom.  Among the primary cast was someone who appeared in an episode of "Star Trek." Also among the primary cast was a character who was related to Art Carney, which led to an appearance BY Art Carney as someone wanted him to endorse a chili for mass production- "Chili Con Carney." The same character once tried to break the Guinness World Record for continuous tap-dancing.  We also had a single parent raising a kid.

16 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Original series?

George

Yes, that's the only series so far that fairly could be referred to as "Star Trek" in quotes with no other qualifier, since that's its entire name, and no other series so far has that as its entire name.

This was a sitcom.  Among the primary cast was someone who appeared in an episode of "Star Trek." (THE ORIGINAL SERIES of "STAR TREK,", aka "TOS.") Also among the primary cast was a character who was related to Art Carney, which led to an appearance BY Art Carney as someone wanted him to endorse a chili for mass production- "Chili Con Carney." The same character once tried to break the Guinness World Record for continuous tap-dancing.  We also had a single parent raising a kid.  Most sitcoms I'm familiar with tend to either be set in major cities (NYC, Los Angeles, Chicago), but this series was actually set in a smaller city away from both US coasts, and both borders, for that matter.

The principal cast (except for the kid) all worked together, in the same location. (Their characters did, that is- obviously the cast were all on-set together.)  At least two of the main characters were known for being blunt and up-front with everyone, as well as each other.  AFAIK, this show introduced the insult "dingy broad" to the viewing public, among its colorful character-specific phrases.

On 10/7/2023 at 2:58 AM, WordWolf said:

This was a sitcom.  Among the primary cast was someone who appeared in an episode of "Star Trek." (THE ORIGINAL SERIES of "STAR TREK,", aka "TOS.") Also among the primary cast was a character who was related to Art Carney, which led to an appearance BY Art Carney as someone wanted him to endorse a chili for mass production- "Chili Con Carney." The same character once tried to break the Guinness World Record for continuous tap-dancing.  We also had a single parent raising a kid.  Most sitcoms I'm familiar with tend to either be set in major cities (NYC, Los Angeles, Chicago), but this series was actually set in a smaller city away from both US coasts, and both borders, for that matter.

The principal cast (except for the kid) all worked together, in the same location. (Their characters did, that is- obviously the cast were all on-set together.)  At least two of the main characters were known for being blunt and up-front with everyone, as well as each other.  AFAIK, this show introduced the insult "dingy broad" to the viewing public, among its colorful character-specific phrases.

The show took place in Phoenix, Arizona,  and centered around Mel's Diner.  Mel was the owner/cook, and was played by Vic Tayback.  Star Trek mavens may remember him from "A Piece of the Action", where he played one of the mob bosses.    Vera was one of his waitresses. She was a nice person but a little easily confused, so he called her a "dingy broad" (pronounced DING like a bell plus E.)  Mel and Flo (another waitress) often were sharp with each other- and with impolite patrons.  Flo's go-to phrase to shut people down was "Kiss my grits!".  Vera was a tap-dancer and was related to Art Carney. Alice herself was the single mother raising a kid, not the most common character to head a sitcom, but not completely unprecedented.

This show was an American adaptation of Brian Cooke's British TV sitcom "Keep It in the Family" (1980). Another of his successful transatlantic adaptations was the UK show "Man About the House" (1973) becoming the US show "Three's Company" (1976).

Probably the only series in which a male lead was raped (by two women).  As the show is a comedy, it was played somewhat for laughs, but displayed the real trauma of the victim.

George

This show was an American adaptation of Brian Cooke's British TV sitcom "Keep It in the Family" (1980). Another of his successful transatlantic adaptations was the UK show "Man About the House" (1973) becoming the US show "Three's Company" (1976).

Probably the only series in which a male lead was raped (by two women).  As the show is a comedy, it was played somewhat for laughs, but displayed the real trauma of the victim.

In one episode, the star wore a sweatshirt with the name and logo of an actual university on it. Soon, college and university students who were fans of the show began sending logo sweatshirts for him to wear on the air. From then on, her began wearing as many different sweatshirts as possible in each episode to please the fans.

The star is better known for his prior role on another sitcom.  He also did voice acting on a number of cartoon shows, especially those about DC Comics characters.

George

11 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

In one episode, the star wore a sweatshirt with the name and logo of an actual university on it. Soon, college and university students who were fans of the show began sending logo sweatshirts for him to wear on the air. From then on, her began wearing as many different sweatshirts as possible in each episode to please the fans.

The star is better known for his prior role on another sitcom.  He also did voice acting on a number of cartoon shows, especially those about DC Comics characters.

George

"Meanwhile, at the Hall of Justice...."

The voice-acting star is TED KNIGHT.   He was one of the main actors in "TOO CLOSE FOR COMFORT", and wore all the sweatshirts.  His character was the newspaper cartoonist for "Cosmic Cow", and he occasionally brainstormed his ideas with a Cosmic Cow hand-puppet, which I think was a good idea for stimulating thought.  

The other male lead was Jm J. Bullock, who was probably the assaulted guy, but my memory may be playing tricks on me.  "Monroe" wasn't exactly the alpha male of the series.   Then again, it was more about the sisters than their dad and friend, IIRC.