GreaseSpot Cafe

TV Show Mash-Up

bfh

This television show was spoofed on Saturday Night Live decades ago. When one of the titular stars was a guest hostess, they came out and they and SNL allowed the studio audience to vote by applause to determine which spoof they were going to use.  Three different actors came out in order.

They named one spoof, and the US general stepped forward. They named another spoof, and the Shakespearean title character stepped forward. They named the third, and the fast-food mascot stepped forward.  An applause-o-meter determined which spoof won- so the guest-hostess and the fast-food mascot dashed off to begin their scene.

One was dressed like a US general, one was dressed like a Shakespearean titular character, and one was dressed as a fast-food mascot.   They came out in order as the guest-hostess gave the name for the possible spoof, and the audience applauded to vote, with the loudest applause going to the spoof they voted for and was immediately performed- naturally, with the guest-hostess taking part.

What was the original show they ended up spoofing?

Shows with multiple title characters whose stars might have hosted SNL decades ago...

Friends

Designing Women

Sanford and Son

The Jeffersons

Mork and Mindy

Laverne and Shirley

Misfits of Science

My Two Dads

I see Robin Williams having the best time with this, so Mork n Mindy

2 hours ago, Raf said:

Shows with multiple title characters whose stars might have hosted SNL decades ago...

Friends

Designing Women

Sanford and Son

The Jeffersons

Mork and Mindy

Laverne and Shirley

Misfits of Science

My Two Dads

I see Robin Williams having the best time with this, so Mork n Mindy

I can safely eliminate your entire list.  

The key to answering this is to identify at least one of the spoofs they might have performed.  There were three, and once you have one, you might have all 3 immediately- which, for some people, will make the original show obvious as it fits the same pattern.

1 minute ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

My assumption is that the spoofs were titled according to the character on stage.  Maybe (assuming Raf is correct)

Macarthur and Mindy

Macbeth and Mindy

MacDonald and Mindy

?

George

Ok, George.  You have managed to correctly identify the three characters who were on stage.

The guest-hostess was NOT Pam Dawber (Mindy.)  

She named the 3 spoof shows, each spoofing the TITLE of HER show. 

So, what was her show?

I'll be sitting here whistling while you solve this one.

11 minutes ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Maybe (assuming Raf is correct)

Macarthur and Mindy

Macbeth and Mindy

MacDonald and Mindy

?

George

"My assumption is that the spoofs were titled according to the character on stage."

Correct.

"Mindy" was not the other character in the title.  Remove that name, and what TV show might be suggested?

One star of this show, though not one of the titular characters, received more fan mail than any of the other stars.

An actor and actress who played husband and wife on this show, played husband and ex-wife on another show (not a spin-off).

In syndication, the show was aired in some outlets in the full hour-long version, in a mangled half-hour version in others.

George

An hour long show with title characters whose names do not appear in the title, capable of being edited into half hour episodes for syndication.

Shows like The Love Boat and Fantasy Island could be trimmed, but they do not have title characters. Misfits of Science never got syndicated. The Waltons (If I'm going to take the plural NAMES literally), but no idea who the non-Walton fan favorite would be. 

I am confident it's an older show (70s or 80s, MAYBE 90s but I doubt it).

No standout character in The A-Team (was that ever syndicated?)

Technically, she's a title character, but I'm gonna go with Daisy Duke getting more fan mail than Bo or Luke, neither of whose names appear in the title The Dukes of Hazzard.

You have the right general idea, but Daisy Duke was never married.

One star of this show, though not one of the titular characters, received more fan mail than any of the other stars.  She became even more famous for the show she did after this one ended.

An actor and actress who played husband and wife on this show, played husband and ex-wife on another show (not a spin-off).

In syndication, the show was aired in some outlets in the full hour-long version, in a mangled half-hour version in others.

A show that Raf gave clues for was a spinoff of this show.

George

That's it.  Kate Jackson (later of Charlie's Angels fame) got more fan mail than the guys (the actual "Rookies").

Sam Melville, who played police officer and husband Mike Danko, to Kate Jackson's wife and nurse Jill Danko on this show, later played ex-husband Joe King to Jackson's title character Mrs. Amanda King on "Scarecrow and Mrs. King (1983)."

George

The lead actress on this show appeared in all 264 episodes. No other actors even came close. The second most number of appearances was by William Windom (known to us nerds as the guy who played Decker in the original series Star Trek episode "The Doomsday Machine." Windom appeared in 53 episodes of this series.

The show ran 12 seasons. The lead actress was nominated for an Emmy every time. She lost every time.

She was considering a role in a half-hour comedy series, but her agent convinced her to go along with this hour-long drama instead. Her character's middle name, Beatrice, was a tribute to one of her best friends, who DID take the part in the comedy series.

Chaka Demus & Pliers turned the title of this series into a hip hop/rap song. Aside from the title, it had nothing to do with the series.

I'm tempted to say "Lassie" with June Lockhart, but Jon Provost was also in most of the episodes.  "Beatrice" could be Bea Benadaret, who starred in Petticoat Junction until her death (and then was replaced by -- June Lockhart).

It's hard to think of a drama starring a woman without a supporting cast.

George