GreaseSpot Cafe

TV Show Mash-Up

bfh

On 8/22/2023 at 9:48 PM, WordWolf said:

Ok, some competitions this round. Name ANY to take the round.

A) In this competition, dog owners/dog trainers run obstacle courses with their dogs, and take challenges with them finding things by detecting scents.  Often there's a part where the trainer and dog travel together on a zipline or down a wall. The winning dog is that episode's champion, referred to by the show's title.

TOP DOG.

B)  Surprise!  You're not here to audition for a cooking show. You're here to participate in a cooking competition!  You will now go head-to-head against a professional chef (a different chef each episode) in making a dish around a selected ingredient.  A panel of average people will judge the results.  If you get at least ONE vote (from a panel of 6), you win the money.

OUTCHEF'D.

C) The best of the best Food Network chefs face off one-on-one in a randomized competition with a random ingredient, random kitchen tool, random heating element, random style, and random time limit. The dishes are presented by 2 other chefs/ food blogger experts, who inform the expert judges what was made (to make it a blind judging.)  The winners move on, and the overall winner gets money and a big victory belt, having proven to be the best of the best of the best.

TOURNAMENT OF CHAMPIONS.

D) This defunct cooking show was a one-on-one contest between 2 professional chefs, more for bragging rights, and for the odd trophy.  The show's title made it sound like it was a battle to the death, not a cooking competition.

KNIFE FIGHT.

E) This is the game show that Saturday Night Live used to make fun of, often.  The show's host has changed hands quite a bit in the last few years.

JEOPARDY (as George knew.)

The first few seasons of this show take place in the current time.  In the last season, the characters are transported back to the 1950s with no recollection of their past, until the penultimate episode, when the angel who transported them back allows them to remember both versions of themselves.  In the final episode, the last surviving character (now in the current time) goes back to the group's last day together.

One of the main characters also acts as narrator.

George

11 hours ago, WordWolf said:

"All in the Family."

I'm not sure that ANY of the descriptions I gave fit AITF.

The first few seasons of this show take place in the current time.  In the last season, the characters are transported back to the 1950s with no recollection of their past, until the penultimate episode, when the angel who transported them back allows them to remember both versions of themselves.  In the final episode, the last surviving character (now in the current time) goes back to the group's last day together.

One of the main characters also acts as narrator.

One character was portrayed by two different actors during the show's run.  That fact is alluded to in a couple of the episodes.  (Not exactly a "fourth wall" event, but close.)

The show is an adaptation of material from a different genre.  The show, however, often had dark plots (serial killers, black magic) that the original did not.

George

Correct.  The first couple of seasons were like a cross between Archie and Twin Peaks, though the characters were high school students, ca 2010.  Then they skipped seven years and the characters were all 20-somethings, ca 2017.  There were all sorts of bizarre story arcs, including one about an alternate-universe "Rivervale."  Finally, one of the characters turns out to be a time-travelling angel who can save them all from a meteor strike on Riverdale by transporting them back to the 1950's, once again high school students, but with no memory of their past (future?) lives.  At the end, they get their memories back.  Betty, the last surviving member of the group (in 2023), wants to go back to the last day they were together.  Some ghost form of Jughead takes her back there (high school graduation) and then gives her the rundown on everybody's life thereafter.

Jughead was the de facto narrator of the series.

George

* This series lasted a season and a half (37 episodes total), but was somehow able to inspire a spinoff movie and a remake TV series that has, to date, lasted six seasons and will start its seventh once this damn writers' strike is over. 

* Maybe it was the catchy theme music, which hit number one on the Billboard chart halfway through its first season.

* It wasn't canceled because of bad ratings. It was canceled because people complained it was too violent.

* Both the movie and the new series make use of the same theme music. But honestly, how could they not? Ignoring it would be life having a new Twilight Zone with theme music by Danny Elfman.

Gotta admit, I didn't think this would be hard.

The current series runs on a major network. The original series that inspired it ran on a different major network if I recall correctly. 

Burt Reynolds recommended a promising young actor to a starring role. The producer accepted it. That actor was later lead on two fairly successful series (popular and critically praised but not terribly long lasting). The producer from this series later cast the same actor in a reboot of The Love Boat, which did not do as well. 

OK, let's see if I can post this and have it make sense.

This television show was spoofed on Saturday Night Live decades ago. When one of the titular stars was a guest host, they came out and they and SNL allowed the studio audience to vote by applause to determine which spoof they were going to use.   The audience was able to choose between a spoof with a US general, one with a Shakespearean lead, and a fast food mascot. 

What was the show they ended up spoofing?

(For the curious, the audience went with the third choice, and I'd wished they'd have gone with the second choice because I was curious what SNL was going to do, but I never found out. I thought it was neat that all 3 characters were in full costume on stage during the voting, with the actors rehearsed and ready to go.)

On 9/8/2023 at 2:25 AM, WordWolf said:

OK, let's see if I can post this and have it make sense.

This television show was spoofed on Saturday Night Live decades ago. When one of the titular stars was a guest host, they came out and they and SNL allowed the studio audience to vote by applause to determine which spoof they were going to use.   The audience was able to choose between a spoof with a US general, one with a Shakespearean lead, and a fast food mascot. 

What was the show they ended up spoofing?

(For the curious, the audience went with the third choice, and I'd wished they'd have gone with the second choice because I was curious what SNL was going to do, but I never found out. I thought it was neat that all 3 characters were in full costume on stage during the voting, with the actors rehearsed and ready to go.)

If you can figure out the options for the spoofs, you'll probably figure out the original show without a problem.

This is hard.

Trying to break it down. The show has titular characters, plural. Or at least titular stars. Depending on whether you are using those terms synonymously...

Laverne and Shirley

Mork and Mindy

The Jeffersons

Friends.

I'm going to go with...

The A-Team.

Multiple titular characters. Mr. T hosted. 

Yeah  A-Team. Final answer

3 hours ago, Raf said:

This is hard.

Trying to break it down. The show has titular characters, plural. Or at least titular stars. Depending on whether you are using those terms synonymously...[/quote]

[For my purposes, consider them the same this round, at least.]

Laverne and Shirley

Mork and Mindy

The Jeffersons

Friends.

[That's how that works, true.]

I'm going to go with...

The A-Team.

Multiple titular characters. Mr. T hosted. 

Yeah  A-Team. Final answer

[Sadly, not the correct answer.  I will work on my clues, but the key to getting this one is to figure out exactly what the audience was voting on.]

This television show was spoofed on Saturday Night Live decades ago. When one of the titular stars was a guest host, they came out and they and SNL allowed the studio audience to vote by applause to determine which spoof they were going to use.  Three different actors came out in order. One was dressed like a US general, one was dressed like a Shakespearean titular character, and one was dressed as a fast-food mascot.   They came out in order as the guest-host gave the name for the possible spoof, and the audience applauded to vote, with the loudest applause going to the spoof they voted for and was immediately performed- naturally, with the guest-host taking part.

What was the original show they ended up spoofing?

(It was not the A-Team.)

(Hint-What were the names of the 3 possible spoofs?  If you have those, the original show is easy to name.)