GreaseSpot Cafe

What was the secret of his success?

Ham

I am thinking of herr victor. How did he manage to bamboozle a crapload of followers.. I think it is mainly because his opposition allowed him the choice of weapons- and they weren't ethical, practical, sexual issues, but on doctrinal ones.

No "personal attacks" no matter how factual, never REALLY came to light.

Sure.. slap someone elses perception of god in the face.. and a vehement doctrinal disagreement will certainly ensue..

Edited by Ham

I don't think the old man was really that intelligent. Else he would have acquired the "phd" with more legitimate means. I think he was more "cunning". Not necessarily intelligent.

I think he studied.. but not like you or I. How do you capture a man's soul with assertions that the moon is really made out of green cheese..

Cunning. Very.. political. If one can get one's opposition to argue your inane, irrelevant points, perhaps you have already won the game..

He just followed the formula for a multi-level-marketing-scheme, gave it a Biblical twist, and marketed to a segment of the population he knew would be receptive. There was nothing remarkable about it, really. Lots of people did it before him and lots of people have done it since. He was "small potatoes" as far as this sort of venture goes.

but I think he got his "critics" to indirectly market his product for him.

I never challenged sowers on any doctrinal basis. It was more like.. "what about your PERSONAL accountability for the results of the program.." That is really where the dialogue stopped. The little itty bitty moron of gawd in charge believed this to be (by pappy and who know elses encouragement) to be persecution. In other words, free advertising.

My question is still the same: where do you derive Authority, and do you claim any semblance of responsibility..

I don't care if you teach your followers that god is really Green Moon Cheese..

I'll set aside doctrinal issues and agree, for the moment. Everything I ever believed or hope to believe is just plain wrong, to begin with. :biglaugh: No argument. What do you intend to really DO with your little moghood in your little corner of the world?

What about the spiritual truths, i.e. facts.

gramps was of awful temperament. The program was loaded with innumerable failures.. what are you doing that really any different here, in a practical sense?

That's where the other end of the phone got hung up, and the "other side" claimed some kind of "victory"..

weird, huh. The whole world descends upon Us.. We must be Right..

I could exhibit the same kind of Victim Mentality in many practical matters.. but I refrain from doing so..

There is a very cunning bird in nature.. a dear friend, now deceased, observed them in his front yard in the country.. can't remember its name. Get anywhere near its nest, and it would imitate a broken wing..

ah. The Killdeer. Not sure about the spelling.. but it would go into Death Spasms, indicating to prey.. "come eat me.. I'm so damned helpless.."

The Integrity of the (supposed) Word is Always at Stake..

always.

I've long maintained that it was our lifestyle, not doctrinal issues, that caused so much chronic damage.

Ironically, part of our lifestyle involved obsessing over doctrinal minutia that had little, if any, bearing on anything in the real world.

Interesting things happen when one is freed from one's lifestyle..

or maybe. One is freed from one's karma..

it will eventually happen. Either now, consciously, or against one's will.

I'm sorry if I sound so certain.. It's only an impression..

He was not a MOG, ours or anyone else's.

He was a hick from Hoopyville Hts who stumbled onto a clever way to con people.

It just so happens he used the Bible to front his game, instead of musical instruments like Harold Hill (The Music Man).

Small potatoes? He was our mog. What did that make us? Small tubers?

Actually.. yes. Small Potatoes..

I think the mogster was a hitch-hiker (though would he not every LITERALLY do so at his own risk.. as in going lead..) on the declining wave of Western Civilization..

what is wrong with being small.

If I could be Big. i.e. hit the 300 million dollar jackpot.. I'd pay off all the loans, obligations.. give away most of the rest and just live small somewhere.. solar technology is cool. It would be nice for me, my neighbors, the closer community to live unconnected to the grid.. grow tomatoes.. :biglaugh:

In older days. My old limb leader claimed he was trying to figure out how to buy an island somewhere.. heh.

I guess it takes big potatoes to be small potatoes anymore..

:biglaugh:

Haha - Ham you know the answer to this one from wayspeak.

"The secret to his success was the secrecy of his moves" :biglaugh:/> :biglaugh:/> :biglaugh:/>

That thought did cross my mind here..

:biglaugh:

The Secrecy was not in doctrine. The small potatos hick from Ohio laid those cards down, right up front.