GreaseSpot Cafe

Dating in The Way

waysider

what a sick joke.

the only reason i know higher ups wouldn't want you to be with the one you're with is so that they could have you.

maybe you think i'm kidding. i'm not.

been to "way" too many weekends in the way

--

Yeah. Been there, done that. After *lots* of faithful service, I asked local clergy to marry my wife and I. They said "after she takes the class". Well, she took the class and they still wouldn't do it. We got married by a Universal Life minister". 28 years ago. Still together. My daughter did her first wedding service as a Universal Life minister two weeks ago. The circle is complete. Without TWI.

THAT IS NICE

--

i have more to say but i have to go back and read again to remember sorry

Seemed that higher ups didn't want anyone being with anyone-unless it was corps and corps. I've talked about my dismal experiences. I think it was all about control. If you were involved with someone, it took time from devoting yourself to the endless meetings, classes and whatever they want you to do on a moments notice. All under the purpose of 'putting God first'-which meant at their service at all times. The way was so small, really, that in any given area, there were a limited number of people that allowed themselves to be controlled this way-otherwise known as 'committed grads'. To be anything less than that was to truly be open to criticism and scrutiny. Course , doing more just made you more open to abuse. Corps dude comes to town after the rock and the annual shake up, sizes up the area and knows that without people to be there, he has nothing. So the more committed you are, the more it stands out when you want to do something radical like go on a date by yourself, or to suddenly be seen as a 'couple'. There was always something wrong. One or the other isn't spiritually right, and so forth. The local leader expected his particular little band to just shut up and sit down-after you've gone witnessing that is. I'm rambling , and it's just my 2 cents, but that's how I perceived it for years.